Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E06: The Blind Auditions, Part 6 and Best Of Blinds

• Start Topic

I skip the best of shows too.

I feel like when the coaches get down to their last few they hit the button because they want to fill their team and be done with the blinds. I'm surprised a couple of them got chair turns tonight.

I didn't understand the excuse the coaches used for the one young girl. They said she was in a specific lane and Blake said he wouldn't know what to do with her. I call BS because I'm sure she could sing different songs. What about the opera singers that come on or the young guys that sing like Frank Sinatra, I could go on and on but those specific sounding people got chair turns.

53 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I didn't understand the excuse the coaches used for the one young girl. They said she was in a specific lane and Blake said he wouldn't know what to do with her. I call BS because I'm sure she could sing different songs. What about the opera singers that come on or the young guys that sing like Frank Sinatra, I could go on and on but those specific sounding people got chair turns.

I thought she sounded all right but I agreed with Kelly’s comments that she felt the auditioner hadn’t quite found her own voice yet, and that she sounded affected. Throughout the performance I kept thinking she sounded a bit like Amy Winehouse - and I didn’t even know that was an Amy Winehouse song. Sounding like another singer isn’t necessarily a bad thing unless you sound like you’re trying to sound like another singer. 

I also think some of the critiques get tougher as they get deeper into the auditions and the judges realize they’ve loaded their teams with cannon fodder. Earlier in the round she might have gotten a turn.

24 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

I thought she sounded all right but I agreed with Kelly’s comments that she felt the auditioner hadn’t quite found her own voice yet, and that she sounded affected. Throughout the performance I kept thinking she sounded a bit like Amy Winehouse - and I didn’t even know that was an Amy Winehouse song. Sounding like another singer isn’t necessarily a bad thing unless you sound like you’re trying to sound like another singer. 

I also think some of the critiques get tougher as they get deeper into the auditions and the judges realize they’ve loaded their teams with cannon fodder. Earlier in the round she might have gotten a turn.

I had the same reaction--kept thinking, she sounds just like Amy and then realized it was an Amy song--and the judges picked up on this person is trying too hard to imitate another singer

• Love 1
3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Throughout the performance I kept thinking she sounded a bit like Amy Winehouse

I've never listened to Amy Winehouse so I don't know what she sounds like. My deal is, they have turned for singers that sounded specific before so maybe she was a bad singer but it was the excuse I thought was a joke. JMO.

I watched the "best of the blinds" as I had missed so many of the auditions.  I like to at least have an idea of who some of the contestants are as I usually sit here and wonder why I don't remember any of these singers (and, no, it's not just because I'm old...).  

I really enjoy Nick and the fun he brings to the show.  I enjoy the banter between Nick and Blake.  Kelly can be a bit exhausting to me, but overall she seems fun and genuine.  John always seems like he is having fun.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I've never listened to Amy Winehouse so I don't know what she sounds like. My deal is, they have turned for singers that sounded specific before so maybe she was a bad singer but it was the excuse I thought was a joke. JMO.

Blake made that excuse.  When he gets artists outside of country, they are usually artists that don't need help vocally and/or they know what they want to do.  That wasn't the case for her.  Kelly is the one that turns for opera or Latin singers (specialty singers).  For her, she doesn't like to turn for people that get nervous because she has learned that she can't help them.  That wasn't the excuse that she gave but it's an example of an excuse that she might give but a different coach might be able to help in that situation.

9 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I always skip the best of; not sure why they bother with that

I watch the Best of the Blinds because I usually don't remember names and I forget most of the people. 

I don't watch the Road to the Finals.  By then, I know the finalists so I don't need a reminder of their singing.

• Useful 1