Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Boston Keltic

Jane and Maura are brought into the world of Keltic writings by the murder of a rare bookseller; Angela's relationship with Cavanaugh changes and Maura prepares Jane to meet her new man.

I googled St. Berna-doodles and they are adorable. 

Maura's new man seems to have the patience of a saint -- three dates cancelled: 2 for work and 1 for a sudden visit to Daddy.

Wait, there was a murder?  Oh yes, it was a disgusting start.  I didn't need to see the fingers broken.  And, as a Catholic, the actor playing the priest and/or the writer don't seem to know much about the Catholic Church.  If the bookseller was truly trying to clear his conscience, Catholic's have Confession and the Seal of the Confessional can not be broken in court.  If the bookseller trusted the priest with the book, why wouldn't he confess to him? 

Finally, I was really glad the young lad from the Boys and Girls Club was innocent. 

I thought that the whole murder plot was awkwardly written.   I've already deleted the episode and can't remember who was supposed to get the book.  The priest or the professor?  Was the priest supposed to give the book to the professor?   If the bookseller had planned to having the professor solve the mystery, then why didn't he mail the book to him as soon as he decided to confess his past crime?  I was a little confused.  However, I did like the idea of having the clue written as a puzzle along the book's side.  I've seen beautiful examples of that art, where a book will just have a jumble of colors (kind of marbled-liked) when you look at the side of the book, and when you open the book so that the text is slanted, you see a picture, such as of a castle and a mountain.  Really amazing.

When did Angela decide to 'start over'?  Has she talked about this before, or was this out of the blue?  She breaks up with her boyfriend and quits her job.  However, she apparently can afford to take her time deciding what she wants to do with the rest of her life because she still has a really nice roof over her head (free of charge, I assume) compliments of Maura.  How nice for her!  I just hope they don't have her get involved with all sorts of wacky activities, such as painting, pottery, yoga, etc.  Not that those activities are wacky--they would just write them to have her goof them up.  Maybe they'll have her join a new church that turns out to be a cult and they'll take her away.  If she's going to re-think her life, I wish they would let her go to college or something.  After saying all that, I don't hate Angela--I actually like her.  But a little bit of Angela goes a long way.

I came in nearly 20 minutes late and then only saw bits and pieces, so I didn't even bother paying attention to the case.

I'm all for Angela spending some time without a man, since she went from a long marriage to another relationship fairly quickly, but a fortune cookie as her impetus?  And if one has the means to quit a job without having another one lined up, more power to them; I've done that, and the time off in between was invaluable.  But wasn't she pretty much scouring couch cushions for spare change recently? 

And they needed to either tone down Jane and Maura's reaction to Angela's outfit or put her in something hideous enough to justify them gasping as if she has donned the most unflattering clothing and makeup in the history of fashion.  

Why did Jane have her hands in front of her stomach pretty much the entire episode?  I know she rests her hands there a fair bit - because it always stands out to me like Angie Harmon can't figure out what to do with her hands when she's at rest - but it was almost constant.  It's not like she has a baby bump to rest them on.  It was distracting.

Why did Jane have her hands in front of her stomach pretty much the entire episode?  I know she rests her hands there a fair bit - because it always stands out to me like Angie Harmon can't figure out what to do with her hands when she's at rest - but it was almost constant.  It's not like she has a baby bump to rest them on.  It was distracting.

I noticed this too. I chalked it up to her being nauseous. She was having trouble finding food she actually wanted to eat that didn't make her feel sick hence the plain toast then the toast with cream cheese.

They are so going to have Jane lose the baby. That's the only way that Jan Nash can clean up the mess that Janet left and still have the characters remain true to who they are. That's how I'm reading the way they are handling the baby story but I don't have any spoilers to back this up.

I love the nods to the Rizzles fans and the biggest one was Maura being reluctant to introduce her guy to Jane.

Just occurred to me that part of Angela's sudden need to be a strong independent woman could have been due to her conversation about Jane's walls, when she realized how hard Jane was trying not to be dependent on a man.

So, I finally got around to watching this one.  The good news is:  I didn't figure out who the killer was within 6 seconds of seeing them like I usually do.  So, credit to the Show for that.  The bad news is:  I watched the whole episode and I'm still not totally clear on who did it or why.  Bad Show, no cookie!

Other than that, it was all right.  Not a stand out, but not bad.  I think maraleia is dead on about Jane losing the baby next week.  I suppose it's better than actually having to deal with a baby on the show, but I also hate the convenient miscarriage trope, so this is a no win storyline in my book.  Ah well.  C'est la vie.  

Seriously, who DID kill him?

Gee I thought it was obvious. Maura’s dad identified that Donald guy they caught as an errand boy for the killer. Donald got released on bail and they followed him to the killers house.

• Love 1
Is this the first time we didn't actually "catch" the culprit?

I think so, unless you count the one with the three driver's ed girls.  In that one they caught all three girls, but never figured out which specific girl did it and had to let them go. 

I found the episode well. One has again seen Paddy is yes apparently moved to California and he wanted to see Maura again. If Paddy ever come back from out prison?

What struck me at Jane you still have not seen any small curvature? In what week it is already? One would have to see what but long ago. Jane even looks thinner than Maura. One might think Maura would be the jenige who is pregnant. What I found beautiful, it was also the more Maura and Frankie were scenes again. Frankie loves Maura still, one can see that. Although he shows no jealousy because Jake (Maura's new acquaintance) of which I do not think much, because something the hide but also, but you can tell that Frankie still has feelings for Maura and these are no siblings or Lichen Lichen friendship feelings.

And Maura is not exactly averse to liking Frankie also really, so she distances herself as compared to Jack too.

So for me are Maura and Jack still not a couple. As part of a lot more to there. I think that Maura has also canceled the date, first, because of Frankie as they might have noticed that she has slowly deep feelings for him. And they must be sure what she wants. And secondly, because they're so far the men has she got to know nothing good had in mind with her. She is uncertain. But when Frankie they can be sure that he only has good in mind. She knows him very long and he is the brother of Jane.

• Love 1

So the dead guy was confessing to a crime in Dublin and they have a British cop coming to deal with it?  Uh, no, I don't think so. 

If they wanted to have Frankie practically swoon over a British accent, why not just set the crime in Belfast?

• Love 1

The British police officer came over to me a bit cold and arogant. So I do not know what Frankie at only a bit of what takes the best of intentions. Maura and Jane see as out a thousand times better and more beautiful.