Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

Thus far I’m enjoying this as well. The idea of meeting your “soulmate” via DNA match is appealing upon first thought. I think many of us can attest to the exhaustion that can be the dating experience and just even trying to find someone suitable to just date, without even bringing in the consideration of marriage. But after the initial idea it does come with many questions and thus potential issues, which we’ve already started to see on the show. 

I wonder what happened to Rebecca’s match? Was he already spoken for? And Hannah appears to have a good marriage but her behavior will result in its undoing. Why she would have her husband “matched” was just crazy. SMH. 

• Love 4

The premise of this show is very similar to one on AMC called "Soulmates". This show focuses more on the company and the science which the other show "Soulmates" gives short shrift. "Soulmates" portrays the struggles that their matched clients go through. In a way the two shows compliment each other.

The fact that people who share the same genes would be attracted to each other seems to suggest that inbreeding might occur. Both shows seem to milk the concept that each person seems to only have one soulmate/perfect match. It is amazing to me that that person would be compatible in age to you if the selection process is based solely on their genetics. I would probably be happy with a 90 to 100% match if it gave you more choices about who you might end up with. I would be happy to knock off a percentage point or two if it meant that the person had an education, nice house, good job, and a fat bank account compared to my "living in their car" perfect match. 

I guess I should comment about the show. It is a crime thriller, I would have preferred a more lighthearted tone when a story is about true love. Missing are the testimonials from couples in love  interspersed throughout each episode. Since the story line is dark, you are never sure if the true love claims are real. It seems like the the story is moving too fast, around one year from the death of Nick, Rebecca Webb is one of the richest women in London and her company "The One" is one of the largest in the world with around a million successful matches from all around the world, it just doesn't happen that fast.

The story isn't helped by the fact that I don't like Rebecca Webb, before, after, or during the time that Rebecca was in love.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

The story isn't helped by the fact that I don't like Rebecca Webb, before, after, or during the time that Rebecca was in love.

She's definitely not a sympathetic character. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

It seems like the the story is moving too fast, around one year from the death of Nick, Rebecca Webb is one of the richest women in London and her company "The One" is one of the largest in the world with around a million successful matches from all around the world, it just doesn't happen that fast.

I agree. Additionally, they never explained how she explained to the world and her shareholders where she got millions of people’s DNA to make this concept work. This would’ve been more believable had the company been in business for about 10-15 years.

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Both shows seem to milk the concept that each person seems to only have one soulmate/perfect match. It is amazing to me that that person would be compatible in age to you if the selection process is based solely on their genetics.

I agree. Though I did like the fact that people were finding matches of different races in different countries and a different gender. I question the compatibility based on similar genes though.  It makes me think of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry dated a woman who was very similar to him in personality etc. and quickly realized it was too much, and that he needed someone who was the complete opposite. Lol. I also thought the idea that the individuals who participate only have one perfect match was a stretch. 

• Love 3
On 3/14/2021 at 3:10 PM, AnimeMania said:

The fact that people who share the same genes would be attracted to each other seems to suggest that inbreeding might occur. Both shows seem to milk the concept that each person seems to only have one soulmate/perfect match. It is amazing to me that that person would be compatible in age to you if the selection process is based solely on their genetics. I would probably be happy with a 90 to 100% match if it gave you more choices about who you might end up with. I would be happy to knock off a percentage point or two if it meant that the person had an education, nice house, good job, and a fat bank account compared to my "living in their car" perfect match. 

I had the same thought. What if your genetic match is way too old or young for you? Also, with the billions of people on the planet, surely there isn’t just ONE match.

This reminded me of a funny episode (also titled The One) of a show called Weird City. Dylan O’Brien, through a system glitch, gets matched with Ed O’Neill (Al Bundy/Jay Pritchett himself!) and they fall in love, then are given their real matches, can’t stand them and leave them for each other.

I'd assumed that Hannah just had to know if there was someone better for her out there, but it's more interesting that she's worried Mark will find his perfect match and leave her. She's probably actually increasing the odds by bringing Megan into her life, though!

I'd assumed there was more to Rebecca's perfect relationship than meets the eye, but I would have expected that she'd manipulated Ethan's results to make him think she was actually his match. The fact that he's gay and totally in on the scam is intriguing. I wonder what happened to her real match. Did things ultimately not work out? Does the science maybe guarantee an attraction but not necessarily a functional long-term relationship?

In a show full of murder and intrigue, there has to be more to this "accident" storyline with Sophia than meets the eye, right? I know Kate's also tied to the main murder plot due to being a detective, but we're already covering the "already married" angle with Hannah/Mark/Megan, so I'm expecting more here. Also expecting something to be up with the picket sign guy.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I'd assumed there was more to Rebecca's perfect relationship than meets the eye, but I would have expected that she'd manipulated Ethan's results to make him think she was actually his match. The fact that he's gay and totally in on the scam is intriguing.

Agree on both counts. Originally when I thought they were a real match, I couldn't understand how someone apparently nice like Ethan could fall in love with someone as cruel and ruthless as Rebecca. Once I saw that he was in on the scam, I was trying to figure out what would convince him to go along with this. Apparently his real match died before they even met (and I can't help wonder if Rebecca had something to do with that death), and he and Rebecca seem to share grief over their respective lost loves, but that still doesn't explain why he would pretend to be her perfect love. I'm sure she is paying him a lot and they are living a luxurious life, but a person would have to be very superficial and greedy for that to be enough reason to do this--and I don't get that vibe from Ethan.

• Love 1