Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Song and Dance

• Start Topic

Scottish music and dance played an integral role in the culture, serving as a form of celebration, communication and in certain times, rebellion. Sam and Graham set out to meet the artists who continue this tradition and try everything from sword dancing to sheepherding.

Promo:

Original air date: 2/28/21

• Love 1

This was my favorite episode so far.  I thought it was the funniest of the three and everything felt more natural (aside from the final scene with the two of them leaning against the camper van).

Also, since Sam's hair is seemingly always a talking point, I really liked it here when they visited Castle Doune.  Sorry, Gen Z.  Side parts forever! Even on men!  And especially on men that look that good!

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes I agree, he did look good and I’m a side-part fan too! 😀

Oh I do have one question, in the description for this episode it mentions “everything from sword dancing to sheepherding”.  When was the sheepherding?  Did I miss that? When was that?? 

Edited by Beeyago
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

This was my favorite episode so far.  I thought it was the funniest of the three and everything felt more natural (aside from the final scene with the two of them leaning against the camper van).

Also, since Sam's hair is seemingly always a talking point, I really liked it here when they visited Castle Doune.  Sorry, Gen Z.  Side parts forever! Even on men!  And especially on men that look that good!

It looked a tad damp that day, I think his hair just fell over, & parted, lol! 

I think I laughed more last week actually, although they are bad dancers so I felt bad chuckling this week! I did like the camper van chat about the Flintsones! And Graham’s American accent! 

Growing up in Canada we have bagpipes at many ceremonies ( the city I live in was named after a place in Scotland). And ( ducks) I kinda hate them, they make my ears bleed. My taste in music runs narrowly to one genre ( pop, top 40), so although I appreciate folk & traditional music in its place ( a tv show, movie, restaurant), I would never listen to it to dance in my kitchen, or sing in my car, at work or to workout! Ugh!

My hubby is sure those women were thrilled to teach Sam how to dance though! 

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad that the girl who taught them sword dancing made sure to tell them that the steps/routine she was showing them was the skill level of 4-6 year olds. Somehow that just made the entire thing even funnier.

I totally missed that info! My middle school best friend was a highland dancer, it’s not that hard! 

When Sam was talking about how much he hated Ceilidh dances as a kid, how they had to pick partners in school... that was just like when I was a kid. We had square dancing in gym and we always hated it, having to pick partners. Brought back bad memories. Lol.  
He posted a funny video today on Instagram, something from his phone he recorded when they did that dance scene.  I tried to post it here but the file size was too big. 🙁

On 3/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, SassAndSnacks said:

It's kind of funny that you mention that, and I'm not here to argue, but I thought the opposite. 😂  I thought this was a bit more forced and scripted, probably because dancing isn't their favorite thing?  I thought they were most natural with food and whiskey. 😉 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I thought this was a bit more forced and scripted, probably because dancing isn't their favorite thing?  I thought they were most natural with food and whiskey. 😉 

That's so great!  I think my main issue with Episode 1 was that the show format was not what I had been expecting, so it was a little jarring for me.  I could go back and watch it with a fresh perspective...I suppose...if I HAVE to.  

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, SassAndSnacks said:

That's so great!  I think my main issue with Episode 1 was that the show format was not what I had been expecting, so it was a little jarring for me.  I could go back and watch it with a fresh perspective...I suppose...if I HAVE to.  

I wasn't sure what to expect, so maybe I just went with it... 😉  I suppose I'll just have to go back and watch again too.  What a hardship... 

• LOL 1

Situated in the heart of Scot country in central North Carolina, my school had a Scottish dancing troupe in the 1950s and 60s. I began dancing at around 10 years old, I think, and continued through high school. I was never able to dance the Sword Dance with real swords or even fake swords. We just used yardsticks - even during our traveling performances!

• Love 4