Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E4: Livin' on a Prayer

• Start Topic

That was a good episode. I am glad they had Alicia and Paul come to an understanding. I didn’t like how they were so dismissive of Church and didn’t even want Bow to go at first. Then Paul was really annoying me at how he reacted when Alicia was moved at going back to Church. Evil things have come from abuse of faith and religion, for sure, and I’m not even that devout of a person myself, but to just say no to any religious anything and looking down on believers rubs me the wrong way.

Incidentally, PBS is airing a new documentary in two parts, tonight and tomorrow, called “The Black Church” which is all about the role of the church in Black communities throughout US History.

That PeeWee line made me laugh hard, along with how bad Bow is at sneaking out.

Enjoyed Harrison’s scene with Johan and Santi.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Paul was really annoying me at how he reacted when Alicia was moved at going back to Church. Evil things have come from abuse of faith and religion, for sure, and I’m not even that devout of a person myself, but to just say no to any religious anything and looking down on believers rubs me the wrong way.

It didn't bother me because I've seen religious people do something similar where they look down on people who don't go to church or just see them as a godless heathen soul to be saved. Respecting people's beliefs is a two way street. I've seen religious people tell an atheist "I'm just trying to keep you from going to hell" which doesn't really seem like they are even trying to respect the other person's beliefs.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It didn't bother me because I've seen religious people do something similar where they look down on people who don't go to church or just see them as a godless heathen soul to be saved. Respecting people's beliefs is a two way street. I've seen religious people tell an atheist "I'm just trying to keep you from going to hell" which doesn't really seem like they are even trying to respect the other person's beliefs.

Oh, I get what you’re saying, and agree. Honestly, both are just as bad to me. You don’t have to agree, but telling people they are going to hell or telling people they are stupid for believing in God is just wrong. My stance is basically unless what the other person believes or does affects you or how they treat you, what do you care what they believe?

• Love 5

During that four-way phone call between Bow and her friends, one of the girls appeared to be on Zoom or some other kind of computer-based phone system, haha. The other 3 looked OK but her square looked all glitchy and computer-y, it kind of took you out of the '80s setting a bit 😄

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Oh, I get what you’re saying, and agree. Honestly, both are just as bad to me. You don’t have to agree, but telling people they are going to hell or telling people they are stupid for believing in God is just wrong. My stance is basically unless what the other person believes or does affects you or how they treat you, what do you care what they believe?

Exactly. It's just being judgmental. As long as the other person isn't hurting someone, doing anything illegal, or affecting you, then why do you even care what they're doing? Let them do there thing and you go do your thing without sticking your nose into their business!

• Love 3

I thought that was a very thoughtful episode, I am glad that everyone finally settled into an understanding about just letting everyone explore different beliefs if they wanted to and see where their path takes them, even if its not all the same path. As much as Paul and Alicia pride themselves on being open minded, they can be rather close minded and set in their ways as well, like in the episode where they try to tell Bow what music she can or cant enjoy, so it was nice to see them let the kids make their own choices on whether they want to try church, or at least explore it. We know that grown up Bow does go to church as an adult (I think they switch churches once or twice?) and I love how enthusiastic she was about learning new things. Of course her friends just think its weird she wants to do homework for church when its the preachers job to read the book church is based on! 

"My dad will want to tell you about how he knows Pee Wee Herman, he says they met at a movie theater they both go to." 

• Love 7
On 2/17/2021 at 11:08 AM, Phishbulb said:

During that four-way phone call between Bow and her friends, one of the girls appeared to be on Zoom or some other kind of computer-based phone system, haha. The other 3 looked OK but her square looked all glitchy and computer-y, it kind of took you out of the '80s setting a bit 😄

Yes, I noticed the blonde girl sounded echo-y and a little off, making me wonder how they filmed her end of the conversation.

I did enjoy Bow's lame attempts at trying to sneak out. 

• Love 2

It took two parents to change a light bulb. There's a mean joke in there somewhere.

That seems to me like a pretty big house not to have a back door. But then there wouldn't have been any comedy in Bow being able to slip out without being seen by her parents.

I was surprised Harrison went to church with them. I'm still holding onto maybe there being something going on between him and Denise that we aren't privy to yet.

Jesus looked like Rick James. Oh dear. Rick wasn't anything close holy, lol.

I didn't know getting happy in church was a named medical condition. I just thought it was a form of hysteria.

Did women in the US wear bantu knots in the 80s? Alicia's hairdo surprised me.

Santi knows how to siphon gas from a car. And she can already work a church hat. She's amazing.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3