Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Secret of Solitary Scribe

• Start Topic

"Come to Jesus? The man had a Bar Mitzvah, pick a lane." 

Ace is the best, as always. It was nice seeing him and his dad, and he has the best lines. 

Stuck in a creepy house surrounded by violent screaming ghosts to try and hide from an even more violent ghost trying to kill him, with only his books for company, for over forty years? No wonder AJ was losing it by the end. Certainly paints a bleak picture for the Drew Crew. Yeah, this is why we don't make deals with dark powers to play necromancer guys. Or almost necromancer, whatever. 

Nancy, Carson, and Ryan burying Lucy was a nice moment. Its a really awkward situation, but if Nancy really is going to die in a few days, its for the best to try and make some peace with her ghost bio mom and her dads. 

• Love 10

I continue to enjoy this show and the creepy moments. 

Ace is a dream and I love anytime the focus is on him. I loved the scenes with him and his father. Their relationship may be strained but they love one another. 

I liked Nancy, Ryan and Carson all burying Lucy's bones together. I want to see more scenes of these three getting along. 

• Love 6

1. Anyone else feel like yelling at George and Nick to close ALL of the hotel curtains? They were on the ground floor!

2. On that note, why did they fall asleep in the truck instead of heading back to the hotel? I know you guys are young, but trust me - you're going to pay for doing that sort of thing to your backs later!

3. Detective dude, showing up to Shabbat dinner so you can interrogate Ace? Not having security cameras around and/or anyone watching the jail cell, forcing you to call a civilian to ask how your prisoner got out of the jail cell? Not noticing that the hinges of said jail cell could be removed by a middle-aged horror writer? Speaking of said horror writer, arresting the horror writer even though the person he supposedly was robbing specifically said that the horror writer was innocent and that she was not pressing charges? Keeping skulls of relatively recently dead people in your desk? 

Dude, I am unbelievably unimpressed. No wonder the ghosts are going to Nancy for help.

4. That said, Team Drew does need a bit of work on the investigating skills, and here, we are all looking at you, Ace. Rummaging through a police desk without wearing gloves, making it very easy for someone to find your fingerprints?  Ace! If you are going to work with Nancy Drew, you need to up your game!

5. Then again, Ace, the whole bit about having to choose your lane, aimed at this supposed detective, awesome. I forgive you and you're the best again.

6. Liked the moment with Nancy and her two dads. This could be fun going forward.

• Love 6

Corrupt cop?

9 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I was pissed, how could they arrest AJ for Breaking and Entering when he is in the house with one of the family members who were saying that he didn't break in. 

Corrupt cop?

Always good to see Peter Shinkoda (although I always still go back to Falling Skies first: a show where I seem to be always flipping between kind of loving it and kind of hating it), even if it was obvious that A.J. wasn't going to be around for very long.  Granted, if the only way to prevent yourself from getting killed by a water demon is to surround yourself by screaming ghosts, death honestly seems like the better option.  At least he got to put out some successful books before he went!

It admittedly shouldn't be a top priority at the moment, but George and Nick wanting to have sex before their likely deaths in two days is probably the most realistic reaction so far.

I hope we get more scenes between Ace and his dad.  Their relationship is an interesting.  It certainly helps that Ace continues to be the best.

Nancy finally extends an olive branch to Carson!  And Carson and Ryan are able to even put their differences aside to give Lucy a proper burial and Nancy some closure!  Even though I'm sure both of them probably secretly thought about attacking the other with a shovel.  If a shovel war ever did happen between those two, I'd put my money on Carson, because he strikes me as someone who might be kind of quite and meek, but can suddenly throw down when the time calls for it.

Did the Aglaeca really need to dump Lucy's bones all over the restaurant?  This creature isn't simply a creepy killer, but kind of a petty jerk as well!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, quarks said:

Detective dude, showing up to Shabbat dinner so you can interrogate Ace? Not having security cameras around and/or anyone watching the jail cell, forcing you to call a civilian to ask how your prisoner got out of the jail cell? Not noticing that the hinges of said jail cell could be removed by a middle-aged horror writer? Speaking of said horror writer, arresting the horror writer even though the person he supposedly was robbing specifically said that the horror writer was innocent and that she was not pressing charges? Keeping skulls of relatively recently dead people in your desk? 

He was so mad at both Ace and Nancy, yet he seems incapable of doing things like keeping someone in a locked jail cell or hiding stolen evidence competently so it's hard for me to feel bad for him.

3 hours ago, quarks said:

Team Drew does need a bit of work on the investigating skills, and here, we are all looking at you, Ace. Rummaging through a police desk without wearing gloves, making it very easy for someone to find your fingerprints? 

This was my pet peeve with Pretty Little Liars. They were constantly breaking into places and touching everything with their bare hands, despite knowing that someone kept framing them for crimes. At some point when you realize how often you are breaking and entering, you might want to invest in a box of disposable gloves and keep them in your car. It's worth the $10 investment to keep your fingerprints off of all the places you aren't supposed to be.

I really loved the Nancy/Carson/Ryan moment. I liked that she wanted them both to be there and I also liked that Carson thought to ask Nancy if she wanted to include Ryan. They are in a very awkward situation so I'm glad that they were able to put that aside for an hour to do this.

• Love 5

I am sure that if Nancy ever needed to get rid of the police chief, a leaked story about how he falsely arrested and later haunted to his death an innocent famous author would make AJ's rabid fans and media outlets swarm the small town looking for answers.

• Love 4

I guess AJ got lucky that, even though he had to deal with other ghosts to ward off the Aglaeca, that the ghosts were just screaming at him. He could have attracted much more dangerous ghosts that likely would have killed him anyway! Still, what a shitty life to live, having ghost hands as your company for the next 40 years. At least he got to write some successful books, but I can't imagine he enjoyed any inch of his life since. 

Ace getting caught by New Detective wasn't too surprising. I did like the Shabbat dinner with his dad and New Detective (whose name I literally do not know) but the aftermath with the detective was just...yeah.

George/Nick get closer! They have sex! I did enjoy them talking things out and the fear with dying, though. 

Bess needs more to do. I like that she gets to do stuff without the Marvin stuff right now but I know that, once they save themselves, she'll get sucked back into the Marvin plot and I'm not sure how I feel about that, since the Marvin plot annoyed me last season.

Nancy got a moment with her two dads, which was nice. I do think Nancy needs more time to process the revelation of her birth after her life is saved, but I like that she set aside her feelings to memoralize Lucy and spend time with Ryan and Carson.

• Love 1

To be clear, I don't feel bad for the detective. And having an incompetent detective around is sorta standard operating procedure for shows like this - if the police are competent, then you don't need amateur detectives.

With that said, given that Nancy and the Drew Crew are doing more ghost hunting than standard detection, I would really prefer it if this particular detective was a little more competent. The hostility is fine, but in this one episode alone I kept finding myself asking, yes, I know within the timeline of the show he's only been at his job for a few days, but still, based on what we've seen so far, how is he keeping his job? I know a lot of this was for plot purposes - but even so, I can think of other ways to get to "OMG, THE HORROR WRITER IS COMING FOR THE HISTORY LADY" than what we got in this episode. 

And, also, show, I'm fine with Nancy ending up with Nick or Ace or Bobbsey Twin or Bess or in some sort of threesome/quad/quint thing with Team Drew. But this is your notice that I am not fine with Nancy ending up - even briefly - with Hot Detective. She needs someone a trifle more competent. 

• Love 4

Ace's response to his dad's understanding and "I'll see you next week" was so sweet. Just immediately wanting to spend his limited time with his dad, upcoming ghost murder be damned. I loved the confrontation with the detective and the way his dad stuck up for him. "Listen, you walking haircut!" - How dare you?! He has a brain and heart beneath that wonderful haircut!

The supernatural elements on this show don't generally scare me, but the dozens of ghost hands coming from the walls was freaky. Contrarily, I feel like when the spirit thing looks at us at the end of the episode, unseen by the Drew Crew, it's totally trying to say something like "Can you believe these idiots?"