Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E38: Believe (Part 2)

Becky might be my favorite character ever on the show. She's always been brave, but given how crappy her parents are, it's all the more impressive.

I am so proud of Becky I really am. I can't imagine how hard that was for her, but she did what was right. She truly has a Christ like heart.

• Love 2

- So that's Zoe's secret! Glad they didn't forget about it. I thought her story was good, though I skipped over the random singing scene. The reporter was nasty, like, you're talking to a child, you know.

- I'm glad Becky stuck with her morals and was honest. I guess she's the black sheep of the family, then, since her parents and brother are disgusting human beings. They seem to be hinting at a Drew/Becky pairing and I'm so not interested. Add in the fact that she dated his deceased brother and I'm done, I'm out.

- Miles came off as a shitty person, too, for wanting Winston to lie so it wouldn't ruin things with Maya. Their argument scene was very well done. However, it looks like we won't be relieved of this triangle business, as it's going from Zig/Maya/Miles to Zoe/Zig/Maya... not sure I want to see Zoe and Maya pitted against each other again. But I do like Zoe and Zig together, so far. I like that they've connected over something serious vs. the whole rich/poor thing.

Speaking of Zig, I agree with Grace, why didn't he consult with the anti-gang people, instead of just getting back into it? Zig said they couldn't help but did he even ask? They're probably more than equipped to deal with this kind of thing, it's their entire reason for existing. Also, nice mirroring with him helping prevent a suicide.

Next week's Teen Nick promo for the finale looks extra dramatic. Rolling my eyes so hard at

Clare having to room with Eli in NYC.

Give me a freaking break.

• Love 1

Goddamn, after Dean got away with it and Darcy was just left to deal with her rape, it feels GOOD to see someone win one finally. I mean, I had a feeling Zoe would, especially after Becky's testimony but that moment before the verdict had me on pins and needles.

Ana Golja was the MVP. I'm still deciding on whether or not the Defying Gravity scene was stupid or a good way of portraying a high, but in any case Ana sold it. It was very easy for anyone to see what she was going through, and I really hope this opens eyes about the trauma of sexual assault and how the scrutiny can break a person (speaking of which, I wish Zoe slapped that reporter). A victim impact statement before the verdict...yeah that was pure Degrassi-meets-actual real world-ness right there but it was played out good and sent a strong message (and good for the show for including boys!).

Zig was good here too, I wouldn't mind Zig/Zoe while Maya figures her stuff out. I don't think he's quite done with the gang but I really hope he is, it has run it's course and they had to trot out Vince again to drag it further.

Speaking of Maya, yeah it was contrived that she would start feeling feelings towards Miles again, but the purpose was the take the Mollingsworth ship and sink it for good so I'm not mad. I didn't like Miles here, but I really liked Chewy and how he appreciated the seriousness of the situation more than Miles who just wanted to protect his neck.

Poor Becky. On the one hand I hate her mother, but on the same page I get where she's coming from, it's a lot of her to swallow and growing up around really Christan families it is totally realistic that she and Mr. Baker were in complete denial about Luke. Speaking of Luke, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Also the direction and editing was superb. I can appreciate the editing of the Defying Gravity scene, and the school bus scene was ace. Almost looked like another show...

All and all a good episode, one of season 13's best. Just do your legal research next time, writers.

Goddamn, after Dean got away with it and Darcy was just left to deal with her rape, it feels GOOD to see someone win one finally.

I felt the same way.  They definitely needed to show that there could be some justice with these types of crimes.  And good on Becky fro telling the truth, because her brother is a dipshit.  "A guy just knows"???  Get the fuck out here with that shit.

I actually wouldn't mind a Becky/Drew or Zig/Zoe pairing.

Although I thought Miles was being an asshole, I kind of felt Maya was overreacting, especially after Miles put up with all her Zig shit.

(edited)

That "trial" was even worse than last week.   The "victim impact" statement before the verdict (not to mention standing in front of the bench to do it, rather than sitting in the witness chair), a defence witness undergoing direct examination by the Crown and cross by the defence??? , the judge "presenting" the verdict like he is the narrator of Masterpiece Theater, the convicted being taken away by the sheriffs rather than having a date set to return for sentencing.  Plus there would be a publication ban prohibiting identifying the victim, plus the video was excluded on the basis it was seized without a warrant so defence counsel would have objected to Becky testifying to its existence let alone its contents.....  

Where are the writers from Street Legal when you need them?

Edited by Quof
(edited)
plus the video was excluded on the basis it was seized without a warrant so defence counsel would have objected to Becky testifying to its existence let alone its contents.....

The defense attorney was horrible!  She didn't object to anything.  Not to Becky mentioning the video, not to Becky saying her brother told her.  She just said no further questions and sat down.  Worst. Lawyer. Ever!  I hope she was one of those you pay me only if we win lawyers, cause she sucked.

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 1

Really good episode, for the most part. The only thing I felt lacking was a Zoë/Becky scene at the end. I understand that Zoë probably don't know about Becky's inner struggle with her testimony, but Becky was clearly distraught at the end and a 'thank you'-hug from Zoé could have reminded her that she did it for a good reason.

• Love 3

I thought the writing for Zoe being high was much better than what we normally see when shows are depicting kids being high (Switched at Birth this week anyone. . . ).  

I really like the message this season has given the viewer with the importance of friends stepping in and doing the right thing even when it's hard.  That's what Becky did.  I think when he talked to her outside the courtroom she pictured him doing it again to someone else.  

Next week looks awesomely bad.

• Love 1
(edited)
I thought the writing for Zoe being high was much better than what we normally see when shows are depicting kids being high

The singing in class scene was great!  Perino's face was priceless.  You just know that he's one of those teachers that goes home at the end of the day, pours himself a stiff one, and laments that he has to go back the next day to deal with those fucking kids.

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 1

I felt the same way.  They definitely needed to show that there could be some justice with these types of crimes.  And good on Becky fro telling the truth, because her brother is a dipshit.  "A guy just knows"???  Get the fuck out here with that shit.

I actually wouldn't mind a Becky/Drew or Zig/Zoe pairing.

Although I thought Miles was being an asshole, I kind of felt Maya was overreacting, especially after Miles put up with all her Zig shit.

A Becky/Drew pairing would top pretty much every other storyline the show has ever had as being in extremely poor taste.  It doesn't strike me as remotely realistic concerning Becky and it would make Drew look like level A scum.   

OK, she's not seriously auditioning for Wicked, is she? Even in super regional Canadian community theatre that's a stretch.

The reporter was nasty, like, you're talking to a child, you know.

Seriously. Why was she so awful? And they made her look like the kind of reporter who would be on Zoe's side like a grown up Claire with the Lisa Loeb glasses and short hair. 

I also don't care about Maya and Miles.

The actress playing Zoe is like a version of Nina Dobrev who can act. Kind of. I wouldn't have thought of putting Zig and Zoe together for a scene like that but it really worked. Also, I know how Degrassi loves to play changing partners and now I think I wouldn't mind seeing a Zig/Zoe relationship if they fully committed to it. It would be one of those... we both know every reason why the other person is screwed up and there's no judgement. So like the opposite of every relationship Claire has.

OK, both lawyers were weirdos. Oh, Becky you just admitted that Luke told you Zoe never said yes. That's fine. I won't say anything else. What? Is this how they practice law in Canada? 

They seem to be hinting at a Drew/Becky pairing and I'm so not interested. Add in the fact that she dated his deceased brother and I'm done, I'm out.

I think he's just the Sam (Glee) of Degrassi. He's an attractive male that they'll mold in any way they want to so they can pair him with almost any character.

I felt like she was overreacting because really, what has she been through? She's acting like she was part of one of the epic romances of the show. Did Miles crash a hearse for you, Maya? Did he?

Um, no. She should not be thanking him. Zoe's lawyer did mess things up. If Becky didn't confess about the video, he would have lost Zoe's case.

That wasn't Zoe's lawyer, or Zoe's case.  It was a prosecutor, bringing a criminal case against the defendants on behalf of Her Majesty/the citizenry of the country.

That wasn't Zoe's lawyer, or Zoe's case.  It was a prosecutor, bringing a criminal case against the defendants on behalf of Her Majesty/the citizenry of the country.

OK, well then he was a terrible prosecutor who really didn't seem interested in seeing the defendants held accountable for their actions.

Agreed he was a lousy prosecutor, but the fact that people, including you, were left with the understanding this was somehow Zoe's case or Zoe's lawyer, just bolsters my position that Degrassi (and most tv shows) does a horrible job of depicting the legal process. Seriously, people, Street Legal - Youtube it.