Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

The call me “Claire” stuff is where they start running into problems especially since there really isn’t that huge an age difference.  Claire shouldn’t have picked him up in the first place it wasn’t her place but the whole “call me by my first name while we are alone” is far more dangerous because it breeds too much. Familiarity

• Love 3
On 11/13/2020 at 9:17 AM, Chaos Theory said:

The call me “Claire” stuff is where they start running into problems especially since there really isn’t that huge an age difference.  

I think there's a pretty hefty age difference. Eric is 17/18 and Claire mentioned to her husband something about them being 30-somethings. I was surprised because I figured Claire was meant to be mid 20's.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/13/2020 at 9:43 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I think there's a pretty hefty age difference. Eric is 17/18 and (this may have been in ep 3 so I'll spoiler it)

Hide contents

Claire mentioned to her husband something about them being 30-somethings. I was surprised because I figured Claire was meant to be mid 20's.

Actually it was in the first episode, she said something about being the only thirty-somethings who didn’t have kids or dogs. Or something like that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I’m finding this slow moving so far. And if Eric is 18 then he is a legal adult. Still not appropriate in any way but not a crime. Considering the warnings about the show featuring grooming, the victim should be under legal age which maybe he is supposed to be.

I think it shows that this woman is impulsive  ( stealing a lipstick in episode one) and lonely. As a former teacher I can say that you never spend time with a student outside of school and having a student in your vehicle could cost you your job. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I’m finding this slow moving so far. And if Eric is 18 then he is a legal adult. Still not appropriate in any way but not a crime. Considering the warnings about the show featuring grooming, the victim should be under legal age which maybe he is supposed to be.

I think it shows that this woman is impulsive  ( stealing a lipstick in episode one) and lonely. As a former teacher I can say that you never spend time with a student outside of school and having a student in your vehicle could cost you your job. 

I agree about the grooming.  I don't see any "grooming" at all here. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I’m finding this slow moving so far. And if Eric is 18 then he is a legal adult. Still not appropriate in any way but not a crime.

I don't believe Eric is 18 yet. It's the beginning of his senior year, I think October-ish, so he's likely still 17. In any case, a teacher should never have an affair with a student, even if they are of 'legal' age. I'm not sure if it's a crime but I would like to assume it is because it is so wrong lol. And really, an at least 30 year old having a relationship with an 18 year old is icky no matter what.

I didn't see any grooming either but then I wondered about it. She paid for his food, she's helping him with his SATs, she took him on the college tour/went to the frat party with him. I don't see her deliberately grooming him but maybe that's the point. 

• Love 2

For me, the "Call me Claire" was a warning shot to grooming and a red flag to Eric that it's not right but teenagers are not all that smart when it comes to human interaction. Other than that, I see this show as a slow build kind of thing but they still should have SOMETHING happen that makes one sit up and take notice. Otherwise, it turns into a "Oh yeah, I haven't finished that show yet, Maybe I should".

• Love 1

In many places in the US, it's illegal for a high school teacher to have sex with a student even if the student is 18.

I think "call me Claire," taking him to a frat party (where she knows drinking will be taking place), having a deep emotional conversation with him about her past, and preventing his mother from finding out about his run-in with the police are enough to constitute grooming.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3