Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Masculin Féminin

• Start Topic

This is the only episode that I really liked. The discussion about genders in french language is very real. I had a discussion about hat with a french colleague back when business trips were still a thing (aka a year ago) - specifically the issue with Ils and Elles. Including Brigitte Macron in the narrative gave the story a kick that is probably lost on many non European viewers.

The hot french nose was very 90s Gavin Rossdale.

• Love 4

I remember having trouble with la and le when learning words in French class so it’s natural that it would come up here. I’m surprised at some of the words she’s unfamiliar with though because so many French words are a common part of the American lexicon now.

I want to like Emily, but they keep trying to make her a version of Elle Woods in Paris. She’s equal parts a shallow, dumb American and yet smarter than everyone around her. 

Her boyfriend was such an ass. If he had issues with her leaving then he should have brought them up before she left. It’s not like she was asking him to move to Paris forever. She’s going to be there a year. He just wasn’t willing to support a dream that wasn’t his. 

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Her boyfriend was such an ass. If he had issues with her leaving then he should have brought them up before she left. It’s not like she was asking him to move to Paris forever. She’s going to be there a year. He just wasn’t willing to support a dream that wasn’t his. 

To be fair, it did seem like she had already made the decision, without any conversation beforehand with him, and only told him of her plans as a matter of fact. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Dream Boy said:

To be fair, it did seem like she had already made the decision, without any conversation beforehand with him, and only told him of her plans as a matter of fact. 

Yes, but he could have told her that he was not okay with it at any point before she left. Instead, he waited until she was in Paris and expecting him to make plans to visit before he whined that he couldn’t do long distance. Communication is a two-way street and he expected her to just be psychic and figure out his needs. 

• Love 5

But sometimes people think they'll be able to do something but find, once it gets closer to happening or once they're in it, that it's not working the way they thought it would.

Maybe when he didn't see her every day, he realized he didn't miss her the way he thought he would.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Everything with the boyfriend is just weird, if they are just going to have her so casually tell him that she is leaving the country for a year like its no big deal, and then he seems fine with it until he randomly isn't and they break up, what was even the point of giving Emily a boyfriend?

Emily is still so cringy in her cluelessness, but I did like the discussion on masculine and feminine words in French, that was very interesting. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/5/2020 at 12:17 PM, tennisgurl said:

Everything with the boyfriend is just weird, if they are just going to have her so casually tell him that she is leaving the country for a year like its no big deal, and then he seems fine with it until he randomly isn't and they break up, what was even the point of giving Emily a boyfriend?

Emily is still so cringy in her cluelessness, but I did like the discussion on masculine and feminine words in French, that was very interesting. 

Yeah, I didn't see the point of it, either. It doesn't even fit with her character as written, because she's supposed to be a young go-getter type and definitely not someone who was in the fast track to married life in a colonial in Shermer, which her boyfriend SCREAMED. 

• Love 1

some people are able to do long-distance relationships, especially when its for a finite period of time.  obviously her boyfriend wasn't willing to make the effort.  so she's supposed to turn down a fantastic opportunity with a guaranteed promotion at the end just because her boyfriend doesn't like the idea?  yeah, no.  women uplift their work all the time for men, and she wasn't even asking him to do that, just do visits back and forth for a year. 

oh, boo hoo, its too hard that he would have to spend a few hours alone during the day for a week.  heck, he could take a nap.  or read a book in one of the beautiful parks or by the Seine, or anywhere, or surf the net, or anything.  if he's like this now, i'm sure once they were married, he'd be expecting her to quit her job and stay home with the kids all day.

thankfully Emily is free of his ball and chain and can hook up with the hot frenchmen, like her neighbor.

• Love 3