Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Just a Fanboy

Bort

A huge discovery by our young fans is interrupted when they are thrust into the dangerous world of Jessica Hyde. Meanwhile, two doctors with very different career trajectories are both pulled into the path of a deadly flu.

Airdate: 25 September 2020

That explains why the actress who played Samantha was listed as 'Recurring' and not 'Main' on the Utopia Wikipedia page.

So John Cusack's company is providing 'SimPro', simulated protein, to the same schools that are experiencing a deadly flu, yet he still agrees to be interviewed (first mistake) and is totally going unprepared for such an obvious question (second mistake). That strains credulity.

And how did Jessica get to the hotel security room before the assassins when, in the previous episode, one of them made a point of saying they needed to wipe the security tapes?

And why did it apparently take all night for the assassins to get to Wilson's house when Wilson & Co. arrived at his home the same day when it was still evening?

And, after what happened at the end of the episode, I'm not seeing much difference between Jessica and the assassins other than their body count.

• Love 4
On 10/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, Constantinople said:

That explains why the actress who played Samantha was listed as 'Recurring' and not 'Main' on the Utopia Wikipedia page.

So John Cusack's company is providing 'SimPro', simulated protein, to the same schools that are experiencing a deadly flu, yet he still agrees to be interviewed (first mistake) and is totally going unprepared for such an obvious question (second mistake). That strains credulity.

And how did Jessica get to the hotel security room before the assassins when, in the previous episode, one of them made a point of saying they needed to wipe the security tapes?

And why did it apparently take all night for the assassins to get to Wilson's house when Wilson & Co. arrived at his home the same day when it was still evening?

And, after what happened at the end of the episode, I'm not seeing much difference between Jessica and the assassins other than their body count.

About SimPro:

It is part of John Cusack's EEEEEEEEEEEEVIL plan of misdirection. By getting falsely accused of spreading the flu through SimPro, he makes it so his company hypothetically won't get harassed with other things that it does. Only in Hollywood logic does this work at all. If someone government regulator has tunnel vision for your company, they're not going to back off just because they were wrong in the first place.

Jessica's first stop was the security room, whereas the bad guys were busily killing a dozen or so people.

It's not a matter of distance, I don't think. Wilson lives in Chicago somewhere, so presumably within an hour and a half or so from the convention site. Bad guys had to wait for whichever of Our Heroes phones to ping to that address, whereas Wilso and Co just went straight home.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, Constantinople said:

I will be actively wishing for Jessica to be killed for the rest of the series (if I continue).  I will even hold a grudge against the three others if they don't attempt to avenge the murder of their friend - or at least try to escape. 
Is Jessica supposed to be on the 'good' side? I cannot think of any antihero character who would kill an innocent person just because they cannot be bothered with their leadership being challenged. 

The torture scene was brutal. And pointless.  Are the killers so clueless that they cannot tell if someone doesn't really know the information they want?  Of course, the icky-ist of the conspiracy killers is still alive to pursue the main characters for the remainder of the season ... because, typical trope syndrome. 

The scene of the characters changing into disguises looked as if it was supposed to be humorous - - but after having just seen a family being killed and a guy graphically tortured,  it felt weird.  The tone feels really off and schizophrenic. 

Two episodes in and I cannot say that I am enjoying this.  It's not really fun, more off-putting than scary, and not super interesting because the comic book connection to whatever conspiracy is happening feels like a gimmick that is being forced to work.
If every character turns out to be as repulsive as Jessica Hyde, I doubt I will finish this season. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 3

The torture scene was way tamer than the original version. I'm disappointed, not in a sadist sort of way, but this version lacked narrative tension. It was just gore and shock. The UK one was even more extreme and gory but that wasn't the point - it was to show Wilson Wilson's resolve and thought-process while also convincing the audience that he could be an expendable character. This version was ookay, I guess. A comparable scene in TV is like when Al Swearengen was passing a kidney stone in Deadwood. That's what the damn spoon scene was supposed to be like.

Samantha...well, that makes sense since in the original, she didn't exist. UK Becky seems to have been split into US Becky and US Samantha for really no other purpose than for her to just die here, so that was utterly pointless.

I'm having an issue with the story's pacing. It is supposed to be a slow burn but it's a bit erratic and this is too slow. It's lacking trippy overtones that are supposed to echo the audience's confusion and WTFisgoingon-ness. I think that's my main issue with this show so far - there isn't mystery nor intrigue. It's pretty much spelling it all out for us with every single clue.

I never got an ending to the story so I'll keep trudging along since this may actually get to it. 

Edited by Potanical Pardon