Type keyword(s) to search

Galina "Red" Reznikov: She Just Wants to Eat the Magic Chicken

• Start Topic

She's the reason I even gave this show a chance, so I'm forever grateful to her for being in the cast.  I did not think a show about criminals in prison would be even marginally interesting, or that I would care about any of the characters.  I was very wrong. 

• Love 1
She's the reason I even gave this show a chance

Me too. Or, at least, I became WAY more interested in giving it a whirl once I realized she was in it. Another Voyager fan here, but KM's really the type of actress who slips easily into any role and makes it her own, while still bringing something unique about herself to the table every time.

I feel bad for Red...in some ways, she can't really conceive of someone just plain evil like Vee, and she's desperate to be loved/feared/respected in general. That's a combination that really can cause some serious trouble in prison, especially after someone has and loses a true position of power in that world. And she still doesn't know what's going on on the outside with her family/business, etc. I'm hoping for her to have a truly kick-ass Season 3, but worried it's going to be as tough as Seasons 1 and 2 have been.

• Love 1
(edited)

Red has been a great character on the show and I really love how KM has totally immersed herself in the character.  Only halfway through S2 so far, but I do hope she's able to regain some of her power, eventually at least.  In such a world, she really is good for a lot of the prisoners.  She's not perfect, but she at least tried to keep drugs out.   I wish there was a way for her to work with Gloria, who also seems to have the latina women's best interests at heart, for the most part at least.  They make a good contrast to Vee, who seems to really care about the black women, but is solely into it for her own selfish needs.

I'd also like to know what got Red into prison and why her husband isn't also in jail.

Edited by Hanahope

Voyager was a thing from my teens and KM was my gateway into this amazing show. I love Red and the fact that Kate has taken a character who could easily be one dimensional (comedy accent) and given her real substance.

• Love 1
(edited)

Red is my favorite character. I'm sure this is partly a hold-over from my huge crush on Janeway, but I was also really captivated by the character of Red in the first season. I did not care for her Season 2 arc, however. I thought it made her seem too naive. She should have been a little stronger match against Vee, even though she doesn't have that evil at her core. I was disappointed she didn't put up much of a fight. Her Season 3 comeback was better, but I feel like the character has lost some of her edge. And the whole Healy flirtation is just making me want to barf. No no no. 

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 1

Red is my favorite character(why no it has nothing to do with my love for Kate Mulgrew ;^) ). I  love the character and I love the way Kate portrays her. My only issue with Red has to do with the writing. I feel like Jenji softened Red up too much in season 3. Red in seasons 1 & 2 would have never cried at Morello's wedding. Also I can see Red using Healy but not falling for him. She has too much class, dignity and smarts to fall for such a piece of shit. I really hope that in season 4 they drop the Healy/Red storyline and bring back the fiercer Red. 

• Love 2