Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Faces

• Start Topic

Airdate 2020.09.17

Marcus struggles to maintain his clout as leader of the Mithraic. Mother is able to see Marcus for who he truly is, which threatens his power and puts her in a precarious situation she might not recover from. Meanwhile, Campion is faced with a choice that could result in dire consequences.

I don't know how he was in Vikings, but Travis Fimmel can't act here and is draggng this show down like an anchor.  He's only slightly less robotic than Father and has limited range.  It may be partly the writing, but sheesh.

This show can't make its mind up if it wants to be a future dystopia/rebirth or a mindfuck/simulation with everyone still in hibernation.

Only three more episodes to go.  If there is a cliffhanger I may not come back.

• Love 2

Did Mother kill the rapist? I hope that LEASH android can be salvaged. Mother and Father need the help. 

Are the Mithraic clerics unaware that Tempest is one of the rape victims? They are the arbiters of justice. 

Hunter must die! Especially since he is channeling Terrence Howard more and more everyday

Edited by paigow
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, paigow said:

Hunter must die! Especially since he is channeling Terrence Howard more and more everyday

YES!  

Campion can die too. I just. can. not. STAND. that little snot. His one good moment was when he refused to be baptized. And what the heck is up with his accent? Mother and Father don’t have it, so how is he supposed to have acquired it?

IIRC the Mithras myth predated Jesus, so I’d been thinking alternate Earth where Jesus and Christianity never happened. But when Sue saw Marcus’ injury and said “Jesus Christ!” that blew that theory. So how did the Mithraic come to be dominant? I wonder if the show will ever explain that. (My new theory after 10 minutes on Wikipedia: Constantine died before he could make Christianity the official Roman religion and Sol Invictus became the dominant deity.)

2 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

IIRC the Mithras myth predated Jesus, so I’d been thinking alternate Earth where Jesus and Christianity never happened. But when Sue saw Marcus’ injury and said “Jesus Christ!” that blew that theory.

Maybe some "Atheists" were Christians when the war started - they were getting slaughtered by Sol and joined up with genuine Atheists for survival.

5 hours ago, paigow said:

Maybe some "Atheists" were Christians when the war started - they were getting slaughtered by Sol and joined up with genuine Atheists for survival.

Maybe. Which leads to the question of how the heck did the Mithraic basically take over the world? It sure looked like they had the technological advantage since the Necromancers were theirs. Which seems odd given their extreme dependence on Sol. The Mithraic we’ve seen so far don’t seem very technically inclined.

1 hour ago, marinw said:

Poor Tempest. I feel bad for her. She is a secret non-believer with an unwanted pregnancy. 

Guessing that Campion & Tempest form the next generation family unit. Hunter, Holly & Paul are their enemies while Vita is young enough to be influenced by both sides.

• Love 1

The exclaimed "Jesus Christ!" had me scratching my head too. Like wait a minute. The entire premise of the show is that the Mithraic cult was powerful enough to wage an earth-ending war. Are we supposed to believe it completely supplanted Christianity in less than a century's time? Is it complete sub for current mainstream religion? Then I remembered to just go with it.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad writing that the last couple of episodes had me wanting to see the humans come get the kids back from the androids, who let's face it, no matter how many dad joke got told were still fundamentally kidnappers (one with a serious murder bent) and this episode had me remembering oh right, the humans are mostly religious wackadoos and assholes who really shouldn't be allowed access to kids either. The symbolism of the kids quickly siding against each other in the same fight that got them where they are felt pretty heavy handed, but point made. Hey guys, if you're now forced to try to colonize what looks like a fairly shitty planet away from a couple of bots because your fighting destroyed your last planet, maybe take the hint that your motivations may not be good ones.

So if you take away Mother's murder eyes, it sends her empathy/amateur psychology programming into overdrive? The show clearly wanted me to find the face off between her and Marcus more interesting than I did, at least in part because I kept pausing to wonder how exactly does she know some of this. I did quite like the choreography of Marcus's fight against original recipe Caleb even if I wasn't sure it made a lot of sense either. Of course he now thinks he's a long lost prophet because of course he does. Sue was right to call him on enjoying the Your Eminence thing just a bit too much.

Reprogrammed Father is sad.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Reprogrammed Father is sad.

If OG Campion has somehow gained control over Marcus/Caleb, then the creepy non groping of Mother in the holodeck pod has a different spin...

• Love 1

In various recaps around the web, I keep seeing the androids’ “blood” referred to as milk simply because it’s white. But if you watch closely in scenes where someone is reaching into an android’s belly, it doesn’t behave like milk. It appears to be viscous and sticky, and forms strings as an organ is pulled out, kind of like hot glue does.

• Useful 1

Sigh, I almost want to feel sorry for Campion since he doesn't know any better. Mother and Father are all he's ever had. There's still something off about him to me though.

Heh, Sue is not about that whacko religious cult life. But Marcus is enjoying being catered to more than he wants to admit.

Was Father doing Morse code with his twitchy fingers? If so, I'm amazed that would still be a thing in the 22nd century.

Wait, wasn't that meat Sue was pulling out of the trap from a dead human? Ew, cannibalism.

Aw, Campion wasted his big stab stabby stab moment on Father. I thought sure he'd go after Paul.

Whoa, Marcus slashed his own gut? He is gone. Power corrupts and absolute power makes you knife yourself.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:18 AM, Matt202020 said:

Can someone explain why Sue punches Caleb , saying “Paul told me”.. ? What is she referring to and why does she punch him? I am confused

I thought it was because Caleb/Marcus pushed Paul down in an earlier scene.