Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I’ve just seen this in the recent posts stream. I was looking for a goal-setting thread recently.  Although I rarely manage to complete a goal.  I miss the old site I used to use, where I met a lot of my online friends.  

Glad you found us!  I find I need to be acountable by posting my steps here just to keep me going. I look at what I have done in the past few days/months and try to. do better if circumstances (health etc) allow. Not everyone posts everyday but there is a group that check in periodically and share. We all support each other  and it is a fun bunch. It will be nice to have another voice here! 

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Glad you found us!  I find I need to be acountable by posting my steps here just to keep me going. I look at what I have done in the past few days/months and try to. do better if circumstances (health etc) allow. Not everyone posts everyday but there is a group that check in periodically and share. We all support each other  and it is a fun bunch. It will be nice to have another voice here! 

Thank you. :) 

I’ll try to remember to post.  I’m working my way through a to-do list right now. 

• Like 4

6,809 steps yesterday.

No luck with the kitten, several close calls and once I even had it in the trap but the door didn't close quickly enough and it managed to wriggle out at the last second! I am totally frustrated. My friend and I are going to brainstorm today and try to figure out something. We plan to go down to the TNR clinic and see if they have any different traps. I suspect the one I am using is old and maybe slightly out of square so didn't close quickly enough. Most of the traps from them I have used shut fast and secure as soon as there is a slight trigger.

I hope we can come up with something this is making me crazy worrying about the kitten getting enough proper nourishment...

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
(edited)

6,125 steps yesterday.

Tidied up front porch, took down all the winter protection covers I had over former feeding stations and even put up an umbrella on table where the water bowls are. Swept the deck and refreshed the straw in the boxes the cats like to sit/sleep in.

Still chasing elusive kitten. It is really frustrating me! My friend is coming over later and we are going to brainstorm a new plan. These are the first two kittens already getting fattened up and socialized at my friends house. The 3rd kitten looks just like its siblings! They are about 4-5 weeks old, when I caught first one he only weighed 12 oz. So tiny!

A49F1C94-56C1-4763-A31A-6D9301ADAA64_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.bca3b6485c3f367d471ee2615fb3c611.jpeg

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

5,681 steps yesterday.

Mostly from shopping and then at home watching for kitten. No luck, I think it got really spooked the day before when I almost caught it again. My friend and I decided to give it a rest for a couple of days. She is still feeling rough from her artery issue and I am so frustrated with my attempts at catching this kitten, a break is what we both need.

I am disappointed with my glasses. They are a tortoise shell pattern in purple/green/brown. The pair I tried on in the eye center were predominately purple with green and a few spots of brown. That is why I choose them. The pair I got is mostly brown with very little purple and even less green.  They are going to find a pair closer to what I want.

The only thing on agenda for today is laundry and possibly a trip to town for replacement glasses....

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4

I got the glasses I'm wearing now online.  I thought they would be pink, and they are more red than the picture showed.  Oh well, I didn't want the hassle of sending them back.  At least, insurance covered most of the cost.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, precious pupp said:

I got the glasses I'm wearing now online.  I thought they would be pink, and they are more red than the picture showed.  Oh well, I didn't want the hassle of sending them back.  At least, insurance covered most of the cost.

Unfortunately I don't have optical ins. I paid a lot of money out of pocket for these glasses, and I sure as heck want what I tried on and OK'd, not something "similar". The frames alone cost me $284! The lenses are great and I have no complaint about them. I just feel I should have been warned that what I tried on might not be quite what I was going to get. I would not have chosen this style. Fingers crossed they can come up with a pair more purple...

• Like 5

5,632 steps yesterday.

Still no sighting of the kitten. I figured out where mama is going (behind my shed) so I assume kitten is there. I want to give them space at least another day before I start trying to trap again. It is going to be difficult to catch it where it is now. When my friend is better she is going to bring over the first 2 kittens in a soft carrier and hope we can use them as bait to draw out both mama and kitten. Mama is fixed but we really need to catch the kitten.

I was going to break down the Winter shelter on the side porch today and just make it a shady spot. But with rain again in the forecast,I guess I'll leave it a bit longer.

• Like 5

Good luck with that last kitten.  If you can find it's spot perhaps take a lawn chair and some treats and see if it can begin to accept your prescence nearby.  The treats will be good for it either way.  I'm a cat magnet.  Do you have any friends that cats are generally all drawn to?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Good luck with that last kitten.  If you can find it's spot perhaps take a lawn chair and some treats and see if it can begin to accept your prescence nearby.  The treats will be good for it either way.  I'm a cat magnet.  Do you have any friends that cats are generally all drawn to?  

LOL, I am obviously a cat magnet...ask my 42 cats!! 😸. My friend is also good with cats, we are determined to catch this last kitten as if it is female, my journey will never end with catching kittens... 

Mama (I call her Lil' Mama) and kitten are used to me talking to them, but are very skittish. At least to a degree, time is on our side, it is way too young to be in heat yet.  The kitten has eaten some of the kibble I had put out so it knows about food.  I have a feeling that mama may be bringing it mice.  Every morning I watch all the cats hunting and then playing with mice, that is when it occurred to me mama might be sharing with baby. Or Lil' Mama has brought it to the garage to eat the food out for all the cats. Mama is always first in when I call them for breakfast and dinner! Kitten's nutrition is what I worry most about, second catching it and getting it fixed.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

5,186 steps yesterday.

Still no kitten sighting. I have seen mama and where she goes after eating, but haven't gotten close enough to check for the kitten. My goal today is to really look around the area.

Last evening I saw the group of 5 sand cranes again in the field behind me which has just been harvest. That worries me as they are known to eat small animals. That might be why kitten is so well hidden. I don't even want to think about that!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Mind Blown 2

4,419 steps yesterday.

I can't figure out why I am nodding off in the afternoon for a couple of hours almost every day! I'm getting a solid 7 hours sleep at night...guess I need more? Not that many steps yesterday, but it is what it is.

Finally the kitten and mama are back on/under the front deck. First sighting of kitten in 4 days! I had feared the worst! I think our next plan is using the 2 already caught as bait at the far end of the trap in their carrier everything covered with a sheet. We may get mama too but can deal with that. Thank goodness lil' kitty is OK! This is the last big stress hanging over me.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Hello people, 

I’ve been gone for quite a long time but found my way back. So many things have happened. 

I had major spinal surgery (a reconstruction done in Manhattan at hospital for special surgery) — the aftermath was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced.  It’s healing up now 6 months after but won’t be fully healed for a year.

I also managed to get Lyme disease and Babesiosis from a tick bite and got myocarditis from one of the newer Covid vaccines — I was hospitalised so many times for cardiac issues.  It’s been a rough year for me and I am SO over it. 

So, I had to disconnect from everything because nothing mattered to me, the pain from that surgery lasted for months and I had the cardiac issues for months, during which I’d pass out if I tried to work out. But I’m back running again and things are looking up. 

Glad to see many of you are still here! 

• Hugs 13
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Hello people, 

I’ve been gone for quite a long time but found my way back. So many things have happened. 

I had major spinal surgery (a reconstruction done in Manhattan at hospital for special surgery) — the aftermath was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced.  It’s healing up now 6 months after but won’t be fully healed for a year.

I also managed to get Lyme disease and Babesiosis from a tick bite and got myocarditis from one of the newer Covid vaccines — I was hospitalised so many times for cardiac issues.  It’s been a rough year for me and I am SO over it. 

So, I had to disconnect from everything because nothing mattered to me, the pain from that surgery lasted for months and I had the cardiac issues for months, during which I’d pass out if I tried to work out. But I’m back running again and things are looking up. 

Glad to see many of you are still here! 

Oh, it's so good to hear from you!!  I'm so glad things are looking up for you after your horrific ordeal. Do you know of Stacy London of the old TLC show "What not to Wear"? She went through a similar ordeal after back surgery and I know she has written about it and discussed it in interviews if you're interested in looking into that.

We have certainly missed you and were worried about you, but so happy to know you're for the most park OK and on the mend from it all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 6/26/2024 at 11:53 AM, Gramto6 said:

Unfortunately I don't have optical ins. I paid a lot of money out of pocket for these glasses, and I sure as heck want what I tried on and OK'd, not something "similar". The frames alone cost me $284! The lenses are great and I have no complaint about them. I just feel I should have been warned that what I tried on might not be quite what I was going to get. I would not have chosen this style. Fingers crossed they can come up with a pair more purple...

I had this happen and it bugged me so much I returned them, especially when my husband told me they looked nothing like what I chose and didn't flatter me. Usually he is pretty forgiving about things like that so if he says to return it, it's got to be bad. So I did and ordered 3 pairs just to be sure I got one that looked right. It worked. I actually got one that looked even better than the original one I tried on. It's a hassle but ordering anything online is IMO more of a hassle than it should be. Before I returned the original pair I was able to take them to my eye dr.'s office where they swapped the lenses into the frames I liked, which made it easier.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

Oh, it's so good to hear from you!!  I'm so glad things are looking up for you after your horrific ordeal. Do you know of Stacy London of the old TLC show "What not to Wear"? She went through a similar ordeal after back surgery and I know she has written about it and discussed it in interviews if you're interested in looking into that.

We have certainly missed you and were worried about you, but so happy to know you're for the most park OK and on the mend from it all.

Doing much better.

It was some dark times and I didn’t want to interact or bother everyone with my issues — it got worse, and then even worse. When I thought “it can’t get much worse, can it?” — it did. It got so bad I nearly gave up on life in general. I just…….”went away” until I was mentally ready to interact again.

I lost a lot of fitness due to the cardiac issues and then the surgery. The fitness comeback is always hard, but I ran 5 miles this morning. It was slow — but it feels good to even be able to do it at all. Just 2 months ago I was only running 200 meters at a time, it was all I could manage. 

• Hugs 8

So glad you are back @TurtlePower!! I am so sorry for all that you have gone through!  But I am also glad to hear you are able to run again and can envision getting even better, rather than expecting even worse to happen. (((HUGS)))

We have all missed you and worried about you and are delighted you are back!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4,429 steps yesterday.

I just don't know why I am feeling so tired lately. Sleeping in the afternoon is something I never have done before, and though I sleep well, I wake up aching and feeling just as tired as when I went to bed.

My hand has healed nicely, no more locking fingers. I just need to exercise it for a while longer as the fingers affected are still a bit stiff.

Not much on agenda today. My friend and I are going to decide what is the best way to catch the kitten. It has become wary of all the usual methods. That is about it for the day.

@Yeah No, I didn't get my glasses online, I got them at my. Ophthalmologist's office.  As I expected, no one called me back re my Monday's call so yesterday I called again. Now they want me to come in to see what I am talking about...really??? So I'm going back up to town on Monday and by golly had better get some resolution to this issue. I really think it should have been pointed out to me that the colors I'd get would be random and not necessarily in the combo of the ones I tried on. I do remember that I told her (the technician) that I had never had tortoise shell glasses before, that should have been her clue, given the first thing I said when I sat down with my selections was I want purple glasses. This dark brown frame is nothing like I would have chosen and makes me look like Martha on the Medicare ads (even though the frames aren't that large)!! That is what I see when I look in the mirror!!

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

@TurtlePower So glad to see you back and on the mend! I've missed your posts. What an ordeal you've been through. An acquaintance of mine had babesiosis (lives on Long Island too by coincidence) and had a terrible time with it due to misdiagnosis. But to have heart problems and major back issues on top of that sounds absolutely horrid. Best wishes for better days ahead and glad to know you were able to run 5 miles the other day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5,876 steps yesterday.

Didn't do much during the day except feeding the cats and a little sweeping up in their house. My friend came over with the first 2 kittens I caught to try to bait the mama and 3rd kitten into the trap. No luck. Mama cat came in for her dinner, even let me pet her a few times (a good sign) but she didn't go back to the front of the house where we set the trap up near her usual hang out. We are going to try again this evening. It was fun to see and hold the first 2 kittens. They are well on the way to being socialized.

Really need to get the 3rd one with the group and get it fattened up and socialized some, as we now have an appointment on 7/17 for spay/neuter.

• Like 6

4,113 steps yesterday.  Just can't find the energy to try for more.

After I get back from town trying to resolve the problem with my glasses frame, my friend and I are going to try a new set up to catch the 3rd kitten. We'll put a blanket in one trap so it is cozy and put the 2 kittens we already have in it. Then put that trap up against the one set to catch #3. This way the kittens will be much more visible than in the carrier we already tried. Hopefully the kittens will draw mama and baby to them. If we catch both, mama will be released as she is already fixed. This is getting to be a very frustrating venture. Mama and kitten are very skittish and wary.

• Like 8

5,471 steps yesterday.

Unsatisfactory response re glasses, the tech is going to try to see if her rep can get the colors like I tried on for the frames....and then call me. Yeah, um OK for now. Other option is shaving lenses down to fit my 2nd choice of frame that is Purple, no question!

No luck again with the kitten. I guess the 2 kittens weren't enough to draw mama or #3 out. So today back to plain tracking. I did see kitten and mama out side garage last evening, it would be great if it went inside the kitty house and I could just shut the door. It will be easy to catch it by hand inside there.

Just as I was writing this mama and baby were outside garage again!! I'm leaning towards giving it another day of getting used to being around/maybe in the garage, but my friend want to push on daily. So I quickly went and set a trap on front porch if they come around that way.

My work today is hopefully getting this kitten...

• Like 9

6,005 steps yesterday.

No luck with the kitten, but I did see that mama and it were going into the kitty house to eat. That makes me feel better about its nutrition at least.  And actually may make it a bit easier to catch it while in there by just closing the door. We are going to try to rig up a cord so that I can pull the door shut w/out spooking the cats away.

This has become a challenge for the both of us!!

Had an unexpected/unknown visitor to the cat house last night. It dragged the metal  cooler that I store the open cat food in outside and tipped it over. It looks like some was eaten but some left too. I would think a raccoon would have cleaned it out. No clue what did it, but kind of disturbing!

• Like 7

5,712 steps yesterday.

Tidied up kitty house and refilled the cooler. I put a 20# container of kitty litter on top of it. I figured between 22# of food and the litter nothing (probably was a raccoon) could move the that cooler anywhere!

Had the first of the fireworks last night, thankfully those were further away from me and they had the grace to stop just after 11PM. Tonight I know it is going to be much louder/closer/and longer with all the explosions in the sky.  And of course there will be the encore on Friday and probably Saturday too. The regulations are they are supposed to stop 2 days after the 4th. I hope for once they will!!

Not even going to try to catch the kitten until the fireworks are completely done. No need to stress it any more than it will already be.

Looks to be a lovely day and I plan to just enjoy it and not do much of anything!!

Happy 4th!!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

4,419 steps yesterday.

A quiet, lazy day. My hand is getting much better, I think I had better start doing some yard work before my yard is a jungle! I just have to remember to pace myself because the incisions are still somewhat tender.

Awakened at about 4:45AM to an earthquake shaking the house. Looked it up and it was actually at 4:46am, 3.9 magnitude, epicenter Seeley Lake about 80 miles by road from me. Pretty small by most standards and no damage but it is always unsettling having been through some big ones in CA!

I think I may even try to get some more steps in today before it gets too hot!

• Like 6
22 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

4,419 steps yesterday.

A quiet, lazy day. My hand is getting much better, I think I had better start doing some yard work before my yard is a jungle! I just have to remember to pace myself because the incisions are still somewhat tender.

Awakened at about 4:45AM to an earthquake shaking the house. Looked it up and it was actually at 4:46am, 3.9 magnitude, epicenter Seeley Lake about 80 miles by road from me. Pretty small by most standards and no damage but it is always unsettling having been through some big ones in CA!

I think I may even try to get some more steps in today before it gets too hot!

Yikes! 

We had an earthquake here on Long Island several months ago. The house shook like bison were running on the roof.

We had them in CA (a given), we had them in Yellowstone (often), occasionally in Vegas, in AZ, NM and now NY? 

Can’t seem to get away from earthquakes. Long Island of all places.  

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
(edited)

@TurtlePower I was surprised to find, shortly after I moved here, that MT is 4th on the list of states with the most earthquakes!  Yellowstone probably being the cause of that!

++++++++++++++

4,406 steps yesterday.

Lazy day, it was nice for a change! Hopefully today will be too. But soon I need to get back to more steps before I just plain get too lazy!

Saw the kitten last evening, but will give it a couple more days before I go back into "catch it" mode. Let it get back to normal after all the fireworks.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4

5,480 steps yesterday.

My neighbor came over and mowed my lawns yesterday which was sweet of him. The noise didn't help settling down the cats though after the noise of the 4th.  I didn't see the little kitten until dusk. Hoping today will be a quieter day all around. It is going to be hot so I expect the cats will by lying low until evening.

My friend is coming over and we are going to try to rig up a way to pull the garage door closed when baby kitten goes in to eat. The traps just aren't going to work any more now that it knows food is in the garage. Something has to work to get this little guy!

Not looking forward to the heat next week, it is supposed to get up to 101°, which is unusual for here.  I have to go out 3 times, Mon for labs, Tue for pcp appt, and Thur for last followup with hand dr. Of course in the hottest week yet!!

• Like 7
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

5,480 steps yesterday.

My neighbor came over and mowed my lawns yesterday which was sweet of him. The noise didn't help settling down the cats though after the noise of the 4th.  I didn't see the little kitten until dusk. Hoping today will be a quieter day all around. It is going to be hot so I expect the cats will by lying low until evening.

My friend is coming over and we are going to try to rig up a way to pull the garage door closed when baby kitten goes in to eat. The traps just aren't going to work any more now that it knows food is in the garage. Something has to work to get this little guy!

Not looking forward to the heat next week, it is supposed to get up to 101°, which is unusual for here.  I have to go out 3 times, Mon for labs, Tue for pcp appt, and Thur for last followup with hand dr. Of course in the hottest week yet!!

I’m sorry he’s still managing to evade you.  When I finally got my own cat back inside (he went back to living as a feral, for several years), it was when I put a cat carrier and a large dog crate in the garage, when we had really bad weather coming. The arctic weather over Christmas 2022.  We left the garage door up slightly, so they could get in, and covered the crates with blankets, to block the wind.  
i took food out there for them, and i saw him run out of the dog crate, go to run outside, and change his mind, hopping into the cat crate.  I ran over and closed the door, not believing my luck. 

but he just escaped again, when my dad didn’t get the front door fully shut, so I have to hope that I can grab him again, when he comes back to eat.  That’s my main goal today.  I keep thinking it’s a Monday, and that I have to get ready for something else.  
I also need to start getting on the treadmill every day - or five days a week. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 6

7,592 steps yesterday.

Hosed off my car which was covered with grass clippings sprayed from the mower the other day. We got the rope set up on the garage door ready for our next attempt at catching the kitten. The evening was where most of the steps came in going from one end of the house to the other watching the kitten in back and to the front to see if mama was there or if kitten had come around. Lots of back and forth!! No kitten caught alas!

Its going to be even hotter here today, so I expect the kitten won't be out until evening like it was last night. Here's hoping kitten comes to the garage tonight to eat while I am watching.

@Anela So glad you got your kitty back!! II think I am going to need some of your luck to get my feral kitten caught so it can get socialized and fixed and on to a real home.

• Like 4
On 7/2/2024 at 11:29 AM, Gramto6 said:

Unsatisfactory response re glasses, the tech is going to try to see if her rep can get the colors like I tried on for the frames....and then call me. Yeah, um OK for now. Other option is shaving lenses down to fit my 2nd choice of frame that is Purple, no question!

I'm sorry to hear that. I also had that happen with a pair that I got in the optical store and when I complained the saleswoman let me have the sample pair that I liked. She just swapped it out for the one I had gotten. This was at my local Target Optical. She was very helpful and a pleasure to deal with but I'm sure a lot of salespeople probably wouldn't do that and would be afraid that they were breaking rules to do it. But there was really no reason why it couldn't be done as the frames were the same model and no one would even know any better. Like you I couldn't get over how different the pair I got looked from the sample pair. These were also a tortoise shell frame in a medium brown. The frames they gave me were a much lighter shade and looked completely different. The saleswoman agreed that the sample pair looked much better on me. She was a long time employee there so I'm sure she felt more confident helping me out that way than some people would.

So I don't know, if I were you I might ask them if they could do that for me. The worst thing they could say is "no", but if they say that and then you tell them you want to return them and get your money back because they don't look like the ones you tried on they may change their tune. As with everything "the squeaky wheel gets the oil".

• Like 3

@Yeah No They. would probably do that if the ones she gave me to try on were samples. I thought they were when I tried them on but when I went back she said they actually were a pair belonging to another person! I don't know what she was thinking letting me try those on in the first place. I'd be creeped out if some stranger was trying on my glasses!! 

I think I am getting the runaround. I called when I got home the day I got them 6/24, to tell them I wanted a replacement like the ones I tried on. The guy said he would contact the supplier and try to get them and would call me back.  A week went by, no call so I called.  They tell me I have to come in and see the tech that fitted them, to show her what I meant. So week 2, I go in and see her and at first she tries to pretend they weren't as dark as I said.... Then she went through the catalog and somehow "couldn't find them". She then said I could get my second choice (which was 2nd for a reason) but when I tried them on I remember how I disliked them! So she say she will call her supplier that carries a lot of samples with him and try to get the lighter ones and call me. Now it is week, 3 no call back.  I think they are just waiting for me to give up!! 

This is really pi**ing me off! I am going to call again this week and give it another go. I have a feeling they are now going to say I've had them too long to exchange them as they can't resell, so too bad so sad.... grrrrrrr  I am not going to let this go I spent way too much for these frames!!!

• Hugs 5
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

@Yeah No They. would probably do that if the ones she gave me to try on were samples. I thought they were when I tried them on but when I went back she said they actually were a pair belonging to another person! I don't know what she was thinking letting me try those on in the first place. I'd be creeped out if some stranger was trying on my glasses!! 

I think I am getting the runaround. I called when I got home the day I got them 6/24, to tell them I wanted a replacement like the ones I tried on. The guy said he would contact the supplier and try to get them and would call me back.  A week went by, no call so I called.  They tell me I have to come in and see the tech that fitted them, to show her what I meant. So week 2, I go in and see her and at first she tries to pretend they weren't as dark as I said.... Then she went through the catalog and somehow "couldn't find them". She then said I could get my second choice (which was 2nd for a reason) but when I tried them on I remember how I disliked them! So she say she will call her supplier that carries a lot of samples with him and try to get the lighter ones and call me. Now it is week, 3 no call back.  I think they are just waiting for me to give up!! 

This is really pi**ing me off! I am going to call again this week and give it another go. I have a feeling they are now going to say I've had them too long to exchange them as they can't resell, so too bad so sad.... grrrrrrr  I am not going to let this go I spent way too much for these frames!!!

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this....If this happened to me I would insist I want my money back. No court in the world would hear your story and side with them, that's for sure!  I would question whether the pair you tried on was technically the same color as the one they gave you. Can you look up the brand and model online to find out? It might be the same model but just a different color they offer. If you find them in your original color you can order them yourself and show it to them. If they are giving you the runaround about getting the color you want that tells me they know they gave you the wrong color. I would tell them they had some nerve making me try on someone else's frames. They may have even had you try on a discontinued color and that's why you're getting the runaround. And I would tell them just that, too! Put the onus on them for doing the wrong thing!

I wouldn't wait for them to do anything at this point, they've had long enough and you know they're jerking you around. Just bring the glasses back and demand a refund. I know it sucks but I think it's the only way. Most opticians and eyeglass stores have a pretty liberal return policy. I have never seen it be any less than a month or so, so I would be surprised if they wouldn't give you one. After all, they get the frames back and can sell them. If they don't want to take them back I would demand to see their return policy in writing. And I would consult a lawyer. My good friend is a lawyer and if I were in this situation I would threaten to have him call them. Just knowing that you would take it to that point would probably scare them into giving you a refund. Of course not everyone has a friend that's a lawyer but just threatening them that your lawyer will call them might be enough to scare them into giving you a refund.

I hate to say this but I had a negative experience with Costco Optical if you can believe that! They didn't want to honor my prescription from another source because it was just over a year old!  I said the law is 2 years, but the saleswoman said "their doctor's policy is one year" (in a snarky tone). Mine was a week over one year. I told them they had to be kidding me. They just want to make money on giving me a new eye exam. No way. I insisted that she ask the doctor to take my prescription. She went inside and then gave in. Then when I got the glasses they always slid down my nose. I took them back 3 times to be adjusted nd every time they were fine for a few days then went back to sliding down my nose. I finally told them they needed to do something different because the adjustment wasn't working for me. The 4th time I got a young man who worked on them for 10 minutes after I told him my story. That did the trick. But what BS to have to go through just to get eyeglasses! I'll never go to Costco again for glasses, I don't care how cheap they are!

• Like 4

@Yeah No  Sorry you had to go through such annoyance too with your glasses!

Well, I guess the Universe intervened for me after my post last night. Just a few minutes ago I got a call from the Ophthalmologist's Optical section, the woman said she had 4 pairs of the same frame and hopefully one would be purple enough for me. Well, I'll be I was not expecting any reply again!! I have to go up to town on Thursday for my final check on my hand surgery from my hand Dr. so will go by and look at them. I am really hoping one works!!

If not for that call, I was really getting ready to stop being Ms. Good Guy and start really getting demanding either what I tried on or a refund/equal value replacement of frames. 

Your story reminded me that just in the last week these frames have begun slipping down my nose all the time.  Any replacement, I will have them do what tightening necessary in that area too. Thanks for mentioning that!

• Like 4
  • Love 3

7,229 steps yesterday.

I did a small grocery shopping after appt yesterday and gassed up the car as I have to go up to town for final check up on hand surgery Thursday. Then Chewy order arrived and I had to unpack all of that (3 big boxes) and bring most of of it inside. Then also refill food cooler in garage. In the heat, I was exhausted after all that! But sure did add steps!!

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

@Yeah No  Sorry you had to go through such annoyance too with your glasses!

Well, I guess the Universe intervened for me after my post last night. Just a few minutes ago I got a call from the Ophthalmologist's Optical section, the woman said she had 4 pairs of the same frame and hopefully one would be purple enough for me. Well, I'll be I was not expecting any reply again!! I have to go up to town on Thursday for my final check on my hand surgery from my hand Dr. so will go by and look at them. I am really hoping one works!!

If not for that call, I was really getting ready to stop being Ms. Good Guy and start really getting demanding either what I tried on or a refund/equal value replacement of frames. 

Your story reminded me that just in the last week these frames have begun slipping down my nose all the time.  Any replacement, I will have them do what tightening necessary in that area too. Thanks for mentioning that!

Wow, what a surprise! I hope one works too. I was lucky that one worked when I had to order a few that time but what will you do if none of them work out? You'll probably have to be not so nice with them, unfortunately. They shouldn't really complain because you gave it your best shot.

I think it's ridiculous that eyeglass manufacturers allow such deviation in the colors like that. From now on if I get tortoiseshell frames I'm going to say up front that I want the model I tried on if the one I get doesn't match it enough for me.

Most of the time I wear contact lenses but I'm still picky about how glasses look and feel on me! I don't look good in most frames so it's a big issue for me if they don't look right. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it works out without more aggravation.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Wow, what a surprise! I hope one works too. I was lucky that one worked when I had to order a few that time but what will you do if none of them work out? You'll probably have to be not so nice with them, unfortunately. They shouldn't really complain because you gave it your best shot.

I think it's ridiculous that eyeglass manufacturers allow such deviation in the colors like that. From now on if I get tortoiseshell frames I'm going to say up front that I want the model I tried on if the one I get doesn't match it enough for me.

Most of the time I wear contact lenses but I'm still picky about how glasses look and feel on me! I don't look good in most frames so it's a big issue for me if they don't look right. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it works out without more aggravation.

Me too, that is definitely my take away from this experience!! I probably never will get tortoiseshell frames again just because I don't need the aggravation.

Thanks, I hope she was really listening to me when I said I wanted purple as the predominant color!

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Me too, that is definitely my take away from this experience!! I probably never will get tortoiseshell frames again just because I don't need the aggravation.

Thanks, I hope she was really listening to me when I said I wanted purple as the predominant color!

I will never, ever order glasses by myself unless the frames are very similar to something I have worn and liked.  The workers at the office assured me these glasses look wonderful on me.  I despise them.  I absolutely loathe them.  Oddly enough they are tortoiseshell also. My granddaughter spoke the truth with those are the least attractive glasses you own.  She picked out the pair she liked most and they are the ones I also like most.  She's agreed to go with me shopping for frames in the future.  

• Like 7

When I used to take people for glasses on a regular basis, I would take a picture on my cell of them in a few frames they liked. Looking in the mirror just isn’t the same as looking at a picture of yourself wearing them. 

• Like 7

Prior to this I would send photos to my daughters.  They were both busy and the office staff were appalled at the idea.  I'll be walking out the door with my prescription in the future.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I’m bringing my granddaughter to an appointment in the near future. My daughter is taking her in advance to pick out frames. I approve of this! 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

5,474 steps yesterday.

Aside from my pcp appointment, didn't do much yesterday.  The heat is keeping the cats all hiding in the shadiest places they can find and only really coming out to "play" early morning or later in the evening so no chances for catching kitten. I am going to try setting a trap just in case.

What a glorious thing is central A/C!!!  I used mine for the first time yesterday and was in awe of how it kept the whole house cool!! In a twisted way I am glad my furnace broke down last Winter enabling me to make the decision to add A/C. I would be miserable now if I hadn't! The drive to my pcp with no A/C in my car was bad enough!

Not much else on agenda for today, besides staying in and enjoying the cool!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

&,978 steps yesterday.

Went out early in an effort to beat the heat!  I left at 8:50am.

First stop at Eye dr's to look at the frames. Well, I guess the tech is color blind or something because I could line up her 4 with mine and all I could see anywhere was brown.  They predominantly looked exactly like what I have! So I decided to just forget these frames and go for what was my second choice. And actually when I  put them on they were OK and boldly purple!! They had been my first choice until she brought out the tortoiseshell ones.  It took 15 minutes for them to shave down my lenses and I am happy with them! Plus I will get a $40 refund on my credit card because these are cheaper.

I told the lady forever more if I choose a tortoiseshell, I would demand the pair I tried on. She said sure, that's what we do when asked, its just the ones you tried on belonged to someone else. grrrrrrr I hope she learned a lesson from this too!!

After getting my new frames, I had time to go to Target before hand dr and after that did some shopping at Fresh Market. Lots of steps in both stores!!

I beat the heat in the early morning, but the drive home at 1:30pm was brutal w/out A/C! Totally drained the rest of the day!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

4,889 steps yesterday.

A lazy day, it is kind of nice for a change. Still working on catching the kitten. The other two have an appt for fixing them 7/17, I really hope to have this one caught before then.

Today feels like a good day to do some tiding and organizing the piles of paper I have everywhere. Maybe a small laundry early before it gets too hot. The extremely hot temps that will continue probably the rest of the month have pushed us into a dangerous fire situation.  All the tall grasses that grew in last month's rains are now drying out and we could have some real problems!

I am so enjoying my A/C!!

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

&,978 steps yesterday.

Went out early in an effort to beat the heat!  I left at 8:50am.

First stop at Eye dr's to look at the frames. Well, I guess the tech is color blind or something because I could line up her 4 with mine and all I could see anywhere was brown.  They predominantly looked exactly like what I have! So I decided to just forget these frames and go for what was my second choice. And actually when I  put them on they were OK and boldly purple!! They had been my first choice until she brought out the tortoiseshell ones.  It took 15 minutes for them to shave down my lenses and I am happy with them! Plus I will get a $40 refund on my credit card because these are cheaper.

I told the lady forever more if I choose a tortoiseshell, I would demand the pair I tried on. She said sure, that's what we do when asked, its just the ones you tried on belonged to someone else. grrrrrrr I hope she learned a lesson from this too!!

After getting my new frames, I had time to go to Target before hand dr and after that did some shopping at Fresh Market. Lots of steps in both stores!!

I beat the heat in the early morning, but the drive home at 1:30pm was brutal w/out A/C! Totally drained the rest of the day!

I'm glad to hear you worked out your eyeglass situation even though it meant going with another frame. That's probably for the best anyway. I have a Fresh Market near me too, BTW. It's one of my favorite stores for certain things.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I'm glad to hear you worked out your eyeglass situation even though it meant going with another frame. That's probably for the best anyway. I have a Fresh Market near me too, BTW. It's one of my favorite stores for certain things.

It is great! It used to be a Safeway, then a few years back became Missoula Fresh Market now it is Yoke's Fresh Market. It is up in town so I don't get to shop there often, but when I do there are things I stock up on that I can't find anywhere else. I just like going up and down all the aisles and through the produce, there is always something I find I just have to try! :)

Turns out I am happier with the fit of these other frames than the ones I got first. So despite all the aggravation they did well by me!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

It is great! It used to be a Safeway, then a few years back became Missoula Fresh Market now it is Yoke's Fresh Market. It is up in town so I don't get to shop there often, but when I do there are things I stock up on that I can't find anywhere else. I just like going up and down all the aisles and through the produce, there is always something I find I just have to try! :)

Turns out I am happier with the fit of these other frames than the ones I got first. So despite all the aggravation they did well by me!

Is your Fresh Market part of the big chain? Because the ones around me don't have the name of an owner in front of them.

A photo of my local Fresh Market:

spacer.png

• Like 1