Type keyword(s) to search

Thrive Without Janelle: The Accountability Group

• Start Topic

5,964 steps yesterday. More than I expected with all the driving and then the waiting and the MRI which took about 30 min. itself.

Not sure what today will bring. I may be getting the straw and working out side on the shelter. They are going to call me.

I really have to force myself to go out to feed the kitties these cold frosty mornings. But I feel so sorry for them in the cold, I try to get them their warm food and water as soon as it is at least light out. But I have to be so careful because it is so slippery out there this early the last thing I need is another bad fall!

• Hugs 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I really have to force myself to go out to feed the kitties these cold frosty mornings. But I feel so sorry for them in the cold, I try to get them their warm food and water as soon as it is at least light out. But I have to be so careful because it is so slippery out there this early the last thing I need is another bad fall!

Back when I had chickens and had to get their water to them first thing I had the same issue with ice etc. I found something I call "ice walkers". Essentially a rubbery thing you can stretch over the bottom of your shoe/boot that has spikes on the bottom. So when you walk on icy patches you have spikes to help grip the surface. There are lots of different kinds out there according to google. For most of the winter I would just leave them on my boots so I didn't have to put them on and off everytime I went up to the coop or out with the dogs. It takes a bit getting used to walking with them, but they saved me from falling a LOT in the winter.

icewalker.jpg.851bb8ca1b4c13dc192aab6011aa7917.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
5 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Back when I had chickens and had to get their water to them first thing I had the same issue with ice etc. I found something I call "ice walkers". Essentially a rubbery thing you can stretch over the bottom of your shoe/boot that has spikes on the bottom. So when you walk on icy patches you have spikes to help grip the surface. There are lots of different kinds out there according to google. For most of the winter I would just leave them on my boots so I didn't have to put them on and off everytime I went up to the coop or out with the dogs. It takes a bit getting used to walking with them, but they saved me from falling a LOT in the winter.

icewalker.jpg.851bb8ca1b4c13dc192aab6011aa7917.jpg

Oh. my. goodness! You just reminded me! I have a pair of sneakers that I put Yaktrax on last Winter! I hadn't pulled them out yet. Will dig them out tonight!! Thanks for reminding me!!

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Oh. my. goodness! You just reminded me! I have a pair of sneakers that I put Yaktrax on last Winter! I hadn't pulled them out yet. Will dig them out tonight!! Thanks for reminding me!!

You just reminded me I have a pair of something similar in my car for use when the driveway is icy.  Ugh, we've been having colder than normal weather here for most of the month.  No ice in the driveway yet, but the older I get the more I dread dealing with it.  We went to visit friends in FL earlier this month.  It was hard coming back to the cold.  We had to scrape ice off the windshield in the airport parking lot when we got back.  The older I get the more I understand spending 3-4 months a year in FL.

• Like 6

5,429 steps yesterday.

Got results from MRI yesterday. Everything looks good and instead of every 6 months he pushed it out to once a year check. Yay!

The TNR people promise they will be here today with the straw. They are also going to bring some cat food. I keep saying I can manage, but they say they have many generous donors/volunteers and they can well afford to help me out. These people are truly gems! Hopefully I haven't spoiled my kitties so much they won't eat a lesser quality food. It will help me though, my cat food costs now are around $400/month. I can see why some people abandon/surrender their animals. It is a lot of money.

This will be a busy day, hopefully all goes well and quickly.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 7

7,540 steps yesterday.

Most of them were in the evening unloading things for the kitties and putting out straw.  TNR guy showed up just as I was sitting down to eat at about 4:30PM. He brought back auto trap and some bags of kibble, a bale of straw and a large cooler.

I put some straw in some of the kitties boxes last night, but don't know if they used them. The one box I can see out the kitchen slider was empty still when I went to bed. However, they haven't been using that box much anyway lately. I'll check the others after they eat this morning. I am pretty sure it will take them a bit to get used to.

He also brought a large cooler that he cut a smallish hole in the front side for a shelter. It had ice in it so had to clean it up and dry it out last night. I'll put straw in it and put it out today and see what they think of it. He swears by them and says they really heat up from kitty body heat. I'll try anything at this point!

Stiff and sore and my left hand was really itchy last night and still is today. Wonder if I have a bit of an allergy to the straw??? Great...NOT!   

Really tired when all was finally done. Back is aching some this morning.  I'm. going to try to take it easy today, I don't want to stress my back.

• Hugs 8

He also brought a large cooler that he cut a smallish hole in the front side for a shelter. It had ice in it so had to clean it up and dry it out last night. I'll put straw in it and put it out today and see what they think of it. He swears by them and says they really heat up from kitty body heat. I'll try anything at this point!

These worked really well in Connecticut where I lived before Texas. We got plenty of cold weather and one of my staff members did cat rescue, so was always on the lookout for extra coolers to turn into cat shelters. I think you'll be glad to have it for your outdoor babies :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Stiff and sore and my left hand was really itchy last night and still is today. Wonder if I have a bit of an allergy to the straw??? Great...NOT!  

Straw occasionally has weeds in it, but not often and you can get the occasional briar or thistle. It is best to wear gloves when handling straw or hay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
31 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Straw occasionally has weeds in it, but not often and you can get the occasional briar or thistle. It is best to wear gloves when handling straw or hay.

Thanks @altopower I'm going to put it out this afternoon. Then start to keep my eyes open for more at thrift shops etc.

@Roslyn That could be it, I will wear gloves whenever I handle it from now on.

Some of the boxes looked like a kitty or two slept in them the others not, but I think they just need to get used to it.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4

6,959 steps yesterday.

More than I expected, but I got busy tinkering with the straw in the boxes and setting up the cooler. They poked their heads in it and a few went in and came right out. I won't know if any slept in it until after feeding time when it is lighter.

Back is better today but light snow last night so will have to do a bit of shoveling today. I hope it is only pushing the snow off the porches no lifting involved. I don't want the snow to get ahead of me this time around.

• Like 6

6,131 steps yesterday.

Guess this time of year with the snow and all, taking it easy isn't so easy!

It looked like a couple of the smaller cats slept in the cooler. In the morning after they ate, the snow was really blowing and I saw a little head peeking out and then quickly going back in. I'm going to ask my neighbor if he has or knows anyone with old coolers they aren't using if they are willing to give them away. These seem to be pretty cozy and will definitely stand up better than the cardboard boxes!

• Like 7

5,249 steps yesterday.

Didn't do much moving snow around, the light dusting had frozen so hard I was working too hard to clear so little.

The light snow turned to drizzly rain on and off yesterday. Today just a light rain early then just cloudy. A couple dry days then back to some showers/snow. Is it too early to say I wish Spring was here?

• Like 5

8,051 steps yesterday.

All the errands (garbage to road, PO, Pharmacy, grocery store) really added to th total! Plus, I did some straw replacement too so lots going on yesterday.

A surprising 42° was the high yesterday! We're in for some days of very unusual weather for Dec. Today's forecast is an unbelievable 53°/34° few showers early then cloudy day. Last night's TV weather made mention of the Atmospheric River pushing rain our way but only to Western Idaho so may not impact here at all. Now the avalanche warnings are up for backcountry where they have had sizable amounts of snow. Odd weather pattern, but I'll take it!

I think today needs to be a rest day. Will see if that actually can happen! 😸 😸

• Like 3

5,753 steps yesterday.

Slept badly last night then ended up sleeping in late.  Had a lot of trouble with my left hand cramping up yesterday and right thumb trigger finger...guess I need to call my hand dr. Surgery may become a reality...sigh.

My friend from TNR (the helper) has 2 coolers she will get fixed up for shelters for me. She is going to keep an eye out for more. Radio silence from my neighbor and I thought he would know tons of people from the race track that might have old coolers...oh well.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Hugs 4

5,979 steps yesterday. Sometimes I feel frustrated that I can't do more, but I try to keep telling myself, pushing to get more steps could lead end up hurting me in the long run. My mantra has been to just do what I can w/out pain and be happy that I can do that!

Hands were better yesterday so put off calling dr. will just keep an eye out and see how they are for a few days.

I got tired of searching for reasonable pj bottoms with pockets on Amazon and decided to venture up to town and just go to Walmart. Had to fill up with gas on way and in the little shopping center nearby, saw a new Mom & Pop thrift store so popped in looking for coolers. Had a nice chat with gal there and left w/no coolers but 3 pair decent pj bottoms and only had to drive about 15 miles round trip instead of up to town! And the 3 only cost $9 total! Score!!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 9

6,259 steps yesterday.

Spent some time refreshing cat shelters and repurposing damp straw. Woke to light dusting of snow this morning so some clearing will be on agenda for today. Probably can get by with just sweeping the decks off.

Also, may get Chewy order today, so lots of lifting.

My hands continue to be a problem. In 2013 I had steroid shots in both and that lasted a good 10 years. After my fall last Dec I have gone through multiple rounds of steroid shots that aren't lasting near as long and on Dec 5th my left hand completely froze up a couple of times which was scary! Aspercreme and heat loosened it up, then just rest. It has been OK the past few days but trigger fingers on both hands are acting up again. Right thumb is the worst. I keep putting it off, but I think I should call dr today...

ETA: Happy Hanukkah to those that celebrate!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 2
29 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I keep putting it off, but I think I should call dr today..

Yes, call the doctor! You don't want those fingers and hand to freeze up again. You're working so hard in such cold weather; you have to take the best care of yourself!  I wish I could go scoop up some coolers for your cats, and send you blankets and great lotions. But at least we are company for each other here online, and that's so much better than being alone :)

• Like 7
  • Love 1

@altopower Eek! I knew there was something else I was supposed to do today! Got busy and time got away from me! Monday for sure! I get busy doing things and just work through the discomfort.  Probably not a good thing!

Thanks for the kind words and jogging my poor memory!! LOL!

Hope you are healing well and feeling good!

I had no idea how hard it would be to find old unwanted coolers...more thrift shop trips in my future!!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

My hands continue to be a problem. In 2013 I had steroid shots in both and that lasted a good 10 years. After my fall last Dec I have gone through multiple rounds of steroid shots that aren't lasting near as long and on Dec 5th my left hand completely froze up a couple of times which was scary! Aspercreme and heat loosened it up, then just rest. It has been OK the past few days but trigger fingers on both hands are acting up again. Right thumb is the worst. I keep putting it off, but I think I should call dr today...

Gram, forgive me if you mentioned it but for what condition do you get the steroid shots?  I have arthritis at the base of my left thumb and have had steroid shots for that.  I haven't had any in over a year, though.  They haven't helped that much and tend to wear off pretty quickly.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

No not Dupuytren's. I have 4 trigger fingers, plus arthritis. The first steroid shots were great. The recent ones have not been as effective unfortunately. I can easily place my hands flat on the table, but if I want to bend my thumbs to open something, they will lock up and then click and release.  That is very painful. The fingers where arthritis is the main problem have been helped with the Meloxicam but the trigger ones not so much. Something else seems to be going on when my whole left hand locked up. My hand doctor really wants me to go for the surgery which is like carpal tunnel. I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands many years ago, now my dr says that may be part of the reason for the trigger fingers...great!

I'm definitely calling him on Monday!! It is just getting too hard/painful to do a lot of things.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Hugs 6
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

No not Dupuytren's. I have 4 trigger fingers, plus arthritis. The first steroid shots were great. The recent ones have not been as effective unfortunately. I can easily place my hands flat on the table, but if I want to bend my thumbs to open something, they will lock up and then click and release.  That is very painful. The fingers where arthritis is the main problem have been helped with the Meloxicam but the trigger ones not so much. Something else seems to be going on when my whole left hand locked up. My hand doctor really wants me to go for the surgery which is like carpal tunnel. I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands many years ago, now my dr says that may be part of the reason for the trigger fingers...great!

I'm definitely calling him on Monday!! It is just getting too hard/painful to do a lot of things.

Ugh, sorry to hear all that, Gram.  I hear you about the pain.  I can't open certain things anymore without a lot of pain depending on how much my left hand has to do and there's less strength in it too.  It doesn't lock up, it just won't work so well.  When I complained that the steroid shots weren't doing much they told me I could do that same surgery they're telling you about, but I'm putting that off.  So far my right hand is OK but if it should get worse I'll have to do it because I can't go through life not being able to take caps off bottles.  I use all sorts of aids to help me but certain things are not possible with those either and if my right hand wasn't much help it would be awful.  Thankfully my right hand is my dominant hand so I've been able to muddle through so far.  There have been a few situations where I've had to wait until my husband was around to handle for me.  

BTW I find that putting on a rubber glove helps a lot with certain things and those circular rubber grippy pads I found in the supermarket for opening jars.  If I hold one with my left hand when I'm doing whatever I'm doing it provides more strength and leverage.

• Like 5

6,339 steps yesterday.

Part of Chewy order arrived, unpacked and brought into house. Did some clearing of snow, by end of day it had all melted so I should have just waited...oh well.  I'm worrying about how I will manage when inches at a time come down.  Everything seems harder this year.

I hear you. @Yeah No! My right hand is my dominant hand too and unfortunately is the worst. Now this weirdness with the left has me nervous. My trick for opening a lot of things is those rubber strips they put around your arm when they draw blood. They just toss them, so I ask for them every time I have blood drawn. I put one around the base of what I am trying to open and one around the top. They are great grippers and I have them all over the place! Plus they are "free".

• Like 6
  • Love 1

6,278 steps yesterday.

My friend brought over 2 coolers so we got those set up. She wanted to look at shed again, they are really wanting me to get it set up now but I just don't have it in me. I did drag out a huge box that my 2 drawer file cabinet came in and set it up in alcove by front door. I told her I am really burned out with all the cat stuff at this point. Again she goes I need to catch these young ones...but I am afraid of having the cord plugged in outside with the wet and snowy weather. sigh...

Looking outside now, still dark, it looks like around an inch maybe more new snow overnight. I will have to do some snow moving today. And this is just the light stuff, afraid of when lots of the really wet heavy stuff comes down!

Last night while on a chat with Amazon to try to straighten out an order, my rt eye started to itch. I gave it a gentle rub and it got blurry. During one of the "wait a minute I'll check that" I went to put some eye drops in and the white is all red! This happened recently and went away in a few days but it is worrisome to see it again so soon anyway.  It isn't so blurry this morning, but still very red, just one more thing to worry about!...long sigh....

The last 2 boxes from Chewy will come Monday that is about all I can handle for now.

• Hugs 3
20 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I told her I am really burned out with all the cat stuff at this point. Again she goes I need to catch these young ones...but I am afraid of having the cord plugged in outside with the wet and snowy weather. sigh...

@Gramto6 you are doing so much more than anyone else I know right now. They are expecting more than you can give, and you need to not overdo things. We're not spring chickens anymore and it's costing you so much in energy and physical toll on your body. Blessings on you for all that you do. 

As for me, I'm healed up from surgery and have been eating solid food for most of this week. Teeny tiny bits of solid food, but still, real stuff. I'm almost never hungry and have lost 17 lbs in the last 4 weeks. Go me!

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, altopower said:

@Gramto6 you are doing so much more than anyone else I know right now. They are expecting more than you can give, and you need to not overdo things. We're not spring chickens anymore and it's costing you so much in energy and physical toll on your body. Blessings on you for all that you do. 

As for me, I'm healed up from surgery and have been eating solid food for most of this week. Teeny tiny bits of solid food, but still, real stuff. I'm almost never hungry and have lost 17 lbs in the last 4 weeks. Go me!

Thanks @altopower! I think these people at the TNR (bless them for all they have done!) forget that I am a single 74 yo woman with several health issues. It has become much harder as Winter begins its approach. They are my age too, but have each other and a myriad of volunteers helping them. Here it is just the 3 of us, me, myself and I...and "we" are exhausted! LOL!

Glad to hear you are doing so well! I have been thinking of you and sending good thoughts. :)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 4
  • Love 1

In theory it would be great to get the last few young kittties "done" before spring and end the population growth.  Practically it's hard.  Maybe an alternative to the automatic trap will occur to one of you.  They're young enough you might be able to befriend a couple.  I truly wish you could decrease the overal population.  That's far too much work for you.  

I can talk.  😁 I'm currently sick in bed at one of my children's houses.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 5

Most definitely it wold be the ideal to get them all taken care of now.  But not reality. These are true feral cats and especially the littlest ones will scatter when I go out. Some of the older ones that have already been fixed are more social and some will let me pet and almost pick them up. But not the littles.

My experience this year is that my place has become the "Golden Corral" of food for every stray cat around. They show up the morning and gobble up all the food then disappear until the next morning. Some I don't even recognize one day to the next! Somehow I feel the TNR people seem to think it is my job to capture all these cats and have them fixed.  So far they have done 38 cats from my property, and I know not all of them are my OG cats!  

I sincerely have tried to do the right thing and I have had a lot of cats fixed, but I could spend the rest of my life trying to capture all these strays that show up to eat and later bring their kittens here to eat too. Where does my responsibility end?  I try, but I am really burned out right now...

• Hugs 10

I understand it has evolved into a terrible situation for you.  I wish I lived close enough to help or try to find help.  Many places have these feral cat colonies and hopefully with TNR, their populations will decrease over time and individual ones may go away.  Sadly as you say visitors show up for the free food.  

• Like 4
  • Hugs 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Most definitely it wold be the ideal to get them all taken care of now.  But not reality. These are true feral cats and especially the littlest ones will scatter when I go out. Some of the older ones that have already been fixed are more social and some will let me pet and almost pick them up. But not the littles.

My experience this year is that my place has become the "Golden Corral" of food for every stray cat around. They show up the morning and gobble up all the food then disappear until the next morning. Some I don't even recognize one day to the next! Somehow I feel the TNR people seem to think it is my job to capture all these cats and have them fixed.  So far they have done 38 cats from my property, and I know not all of them are my OG cats!  

I sincerely have tried to do the right thing and I have had a lot of cats fixed, but I could spend the rest of my life trying to capture all these strays that show up to eat and later bring their kittens here to eat too. Where does my responsibility end?  I try, but I am really burned out right now...

Check the perimeter of your property. There must be signs in cat talk with arrows pointing to your house. 

Free BnB plus preventative health care if desired. Patient, gracious hostess.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

LOL! I was going to look for hobo messages: "Nice old lady here will feed you." or "Nice straw beds for overnight stays...food may even be available!", etched in the trees around here!

There may be a few "Enter at your own risk, food available but you may get a ride somewhere and get a nap and a surprise"!! 

LOL, at this point I have to find some humor in all this or I am just going to cry....

• Hugs 8

7,023 steps yesterday.

TNR guy came over to pick up carriers and trap.  I just need a little time off. Yeah, maybe some new kittens in Spring, but I just can't right now with the trapping. I need to spend the time taking care of the ones that are already here this Winter.  He keeps saying "we need to get those kittens fixed soon"...we? the only "we" here is me and I need a break.

Eye feels better this morning still very red but the itching is gone. Cold compresses along with the drops yesterday seemed to help. This too may pass, but will keep an eye on it a day or so. Will see what eye dr says today. Then there is the matter of the hands.... sigh... I'll see what eye dr says and go from there re hands for now.

Two Chewy boxes arriving today and tomorrow the Hive box (organic, earth friendly type, food/household items) comes.  Lots of unpacking, hope hands can take it. 

At least the weather is going to be decent for this time of year for several days. Highs in high 30's and nights in double digits. Nice respite from snow!!

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Hugs 7

6,913 steps yesterday.

Yesterday, my car wouldn't start so no eye dr. :(  I had left door slightly ajar and ran the battery down.  Had to cancel appt as AAA couldn't say when exactly they would be here. So now go today at 12:30pm.  Sure hope it starts OK today, it was all charged up yesterday after I drove around a bit. After kitties have eaten this morning I'm going to start it just to make sure.

Eye a tiny bit better but still sore, red, and stabby feeling. Hopefully nothing seriously wrong so I can move on to the hand dr. Once I leave eye dr, depending on what he says, I'm going to call hand dr right there from in town. If I am extremely lucky, he might be able to see me today...crossing fingers! At least I can get an appointment scheduled.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 3

6,876 steps yesterday.

Eye dr said nothing in eye, no scratches on cornea or anywhere else. It is just a burst capillary and it is like a bruise. It will take at least 2 weeks to go away as it is so large an area. Nothing wrong with eye! Phew! He gave me a sample of a different eye drop (Refresh Relieva) for the discomfort as there is swelling. I like it better than the Thera Tears, which he said were OK too, so I'm going to run out today and get a regular size bottle.

I felt so much better after that visit, I forgot to call hand dr. will call him today!

After eye dr, I went to WalMart yesterday. First time in close to 3 years. Couldn't find anything I liked, but did shop in the grocery and found some good items.

Edited by Gramto6
misspelling
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

6,449 steps yesterday.

I will be so glad after the Solstice when it starts to get lighter longer again!! It was 33° yesterday and today is supposed to be 35° with maybe light rain/snow.  I'm tired of Winter already and the worst isn't even here yet!

Project for today is to refresh straw in cat shelters and to try to tidy porches some. There is straw all over!

I think the OG mama may have gone to the Rainbow Bridge, I haven't seen her in 2 days and she is always right at the door and coming inside at feeding times.  😢  She is around 8 yrs old and has been on her own for a long time before she came to me 3 years ago. Still holding out hope she'll show up. She was the cause of all this, but I love her anyway.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 6

Mama Millie reappeared after 2 days AWOL!! Thank goodness I was so worried that I had lost her! She came inside and had a whole can of cat food to herself and a cat bath by the fire and then was ready to go out again!!

IMG_1428.jpeg

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
  • Love 8

5,543 steps yesterday.

Took it easy. Right hand really acting up. I can't get in to see hand dr until Jan 16th! I am seeing pcp today and maybe she will at least be able to give me a shot in right thumb. The rest I will have deal with until Jan I guess. 

My eye feels better, not as scratchy though still beet red and swollen. The new drops are much better. My hands are the real problem. It kind of surprises me that I can get in the same (turned out to be next) day with my Ophthalmologist and not until mid January with my hand dr. It's frustrating!

My friend got me 12 more coolers for free at the Home Resource place up in town. It recycles building supplies/appliances etc. to people that need them for very low prices. When she told them what they were for they gave them to her for free! If the kitties can share which I think the are doing already just for warmth, that should be enough supplemented with a few boxes. I feel a little better about the Winter weather now.

Thanks  @Absolom she is a sweetie!  First place she goes when she comes in is to jump in my bed! But she is basically an outdoor cat so does willingly go back out on her own.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 8

You got 12 free coolers for the cats? That's wonderful! Those kitties will really appreciate and need them as the winter really set in, though where you are, I know it's already there. Texas only pretends about winter, at least where I live.

Glad the eyes were seen so quickly and are improving, but it doesn't seem fair to have to wait so long for the hand guy. But specialists often have longer waits to be seen. I hope you can get some relief for them in the meantime while you're on hold with them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes! I was amazed when she texted me last night and told me!  I'm going over to help clean them up while she cuts the holes in the side. By the end of the weekend they should all be set up.

Weather is supposed to be nice the next week so that will give them time to get used to going in and out of them.

• Like 6

6,672 steps yesterday.

After pcp appointment a quick trip to ACE and grocery store. Then just normal stuff around the house and the cats.  😸

pcp didn't want to give me the shot in thumb, she hasn't done thumbs in a long time.  She wrote rx for a cream (diclofenac) that should hold me over until I see Ortho (hand dr) in Jan. I asked her about it affecting the liver when she told me about it and she said it "shouldn't" be a problem, so I thought OK, good.

When I went to fill it at the pharmacy there, it turned out to be otherwise known as Voltaren. A side effect of which is possible liver damage. (Read that on label on an OTC version of the drug I bought a while back, then returned it. Also checked yesterday on Webmd at home.) That is a big NOPE for me, so I didn't fill it. "Shouldn't be" is not something I'm willing to risk at this point. So I am back to Aspercreme until Jan. It works "OKish" but doesn't last very long.

• Hugs 6

As my doctor and pharmacist said it's external, but a tiny bit is absorbed.  I was putting it on one knuckle twice a day for just a few days and they both assured me I'd have to slather both hands or knees multiple times a day to get enough internally to cause *me* a problem.  Caveat being we're all different and what is safe for one person is not for another.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
41 minutes ago, Absolom said:

As my doctor and pharmacist said it's external, but a tiny bit is absorbed.  I was putting it on one knuckle twice a day for just a few days and they both assured me I'd have to slather both hands or knees multiple times a day to get enough internally to cause *me* a problem.  Caveat being we're all different and what is safe for one person is not for another.  

Very true, but my liver is already compromised, so I'd rather err on the side of safety and deal with the pain. Right now I have a Salonpas patch wrapped around my thumb and it is helping for the time being. I'll put the Aspercreme on  at night. 

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 2
11 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Very true, but my liver is already compromised, so I'd rather err on the side of safety and deal with the pain.

That's why my emphasis on what works for one person doesn't work for another.  It's a fine product and the average person shouldn't be scared to use it appropriately.

• Like 5
Just now, altopower said:

I love Salonpas patches but never tried one on my hand. How is it working for you?

It is actually working really well! I'm using the small one (when those are gone I'll cut the large ones in half) I wrapped it around my thumb with one corner over the knuckle then around the back at an angle, the corner reaches the edge by the knuckle. It hit al the sore joints. A couple small pieces of tape keep the ends down.

Most of the day I wore one of those small stretchy gloves and cut the fingers off.  That helped keep it in place and I could still type on the computer. Patch comes off in about an hour then at bedtime I'll put some Aspercreme on it.

This is a little awkward, but will get me by until I can see Ortho Jan 16th.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

@Absolom No, I understood what you meant! I just didn't make it clear in my post that I was coming from a place of having liver issues already so the Voltaren was a definite no go for me. My bad for not being more clear. I'm sure it is great for most. 

I had bought a tube of it a year or so ago just going by the ads on TV.  It wasn't until I got home and read the fine print on the box I realized it was not something I should use in my situation.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

5,649 steps yesterday.

Mostly quiet day. Refreshed all the shelters with clean dry straw. My friend is still working on the additional 12 coolers. I'll be glad to have them, and I think the kitties will too!

It only got to 26° yesterday with freezing fog all day. The fog was so weird, it was almost like a light snow falling. The flakes were larger and very light looking. It never cleared at all. I'd sure like to see the weather be more like they are predicting!

RE Voltaren (diclofenac), I was chatting with a friend in India last night and this was his experience:

"Didn't know that it affected the liver.
What I know about this drug is that it accumulates in the intestines (at least the oral versions). This has been given to cattle for pain relief in a big way. In the first place the pain is induced because of Growth Hormone injections given to them to get more milk. Upon their death they are left to rot in some barren places and then the vultures feed upon them. This has caused the extinction of the vulture in India."

Granted that is the oral version but nonetheless it is very disturbing!! 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4

6,234 steps yesterday.

More than expected, but we did set up the 12 coolers so I guess that is where the # came from mostly.

Today's only chores are garbage to the road and tidying up the decks. Maybe move a couple more coolers to the side yard.

The kitties must have liked them, usually in the evening I hear them thumping around in the boxes in the front door alcove, but last night it was all quiet there. Still some pressure for me to get all the unfixed kittens now and to fix the shed now... with my hands the way they are, I'm not sure I should be pushing it. The gal said she would come over and help but I will believe it when she makes definite plans...

At least for now they have nice shelters. I'll post a pix when it gets light enough and clear enough. It looks like I am having some sort of huge party with all the coolers lined up!!  😸 💜 😸

• Like 2
  • LOL 5