Type keyword(s) to search

International Soccer/Football & UEFA Champions League

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was really excited that Podolski scored yesterday and I hope he can score a couple more times for Germany as well. All he needs is one goal to leapfrog over Jurgen Klinnsman and another player (don't remember his name), who he's tied with right now to become the 3rd all time leading scorer for Germany. Like Klose, that would be a fantastic way to retire. 

Edited by JustaPerson

I'm hoping Bayern will stop them in their tracks (not that I hate Real of course, but I love FC Bayern.) Get revenge for last season! Though arguably Muller and co. got a bit of it on Ronaldo when Germany crushed Portugal at the WC in the summer.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

JustaPerson, I really enjoy Real-Bayern matches. The Champions League semi-final from two seasons ago - when Bayern won on penalties - was a great match, even though it ended in heartbreak for my team. I'd love to see them play each other again in the UCL.

• Love 1

I like RM, too (well, still haven't decided between RM and Barca but for now RM are my team in la liga) but between the two FC Bayern wins out. Hopefully they'll meet again this year...and this time Bayern will emerge the winners ;)

• Love 2

FIFA released a report claiming that their investigator has cleared them of corruption in picking Russia and Qatar for the next two World Cups.  Of course, the report does not say what the investigator says it said.  He wants the full report he gave to FIFA to be released.  Now the President of the Bundesliga is demanding to see the full report, as well.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/german-football-league-threatens-fifa-over-unreleased-w-1659228843

• Love 2

I know it was a loss, but I'm pretty astounded at what Bayern were able to do with only 10 men. They didn't play like it was 10 on 11, that's for sure. The fact that they were able to come from behind, take the lead and keep it for so long was pretty incredible. I agree with the pundits, City didn't win the match so much as Bayern lost it. Fortunately, they don't make those kinds of mistakes very often (they don't go down to 10 men all that often, either lol.) 

Edited by JustaPerson

You're right, JustaPerson: Bayern did such a great job, I kept forgetting their were down to 10!

I was pretty surprised to see them make back-to-back mistakes like that - and from two players (Alonso & Boateng) who'd had impeccable games up to that point.

They didn't play like it was 10 on 11, that's for sure.

And they lost. There's no way a team of that quality should lose with the lead and only a man down. 

Good for MC to make good on some bonehead mistakes, but still. 

And they lost. There's no way a team of that quality should lose with the lead and only a man down.

I'm admittedly biased as a Bayern fan, but I think this game reflects worse on City imo. For a team of their supposed quality, they should have easily been able to control the game, given that they were a man (and a goal up) after 20 minutes. Until Alonso and Boateng made those dumb mistakes, City didn't have much of anything going.

• Love 2

It appears that that goal against Stoke has brought 2013-14 Aaron Ramsey back to us! At least temporarily, he could very well go back to being middling next game.

ETA: Who knew the scorer of the second fastest international goal ever could score when you actually start him, eh? Go Lukas Podolski!

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

At this point, I'm all for Dortmund winning and picking up points again. Not just because as long as Bayern keep playing the way they have, Dortmund has no chance of truly challenging for the Bundesliga this season. It just stopped being funny a long time ago (and it was certainly funny for us non-Dortmund supporters); now it just kinda sucks for them. 

I pay so much attention to the PL and Bundesliga, that sometimes I neglect La Liga (and Real!) I may want Bayern to win the CL this year, but I'll of course be cheering for RM the whole way. Just maybe not in the final, lol. Let's face it, these two are probably gonna be in the CL final. 

Edited by JustaPerson
that sometimes I neglect La Liga (and Real!)

No worries, I pay enough attention to them for everyone :-)

Speaking of My Real, we're getting Schalke 04 for the second year running in the Champions League round of 16. There are a lot of other repeats from last season's knockout stages, but these still look like good match-ups - especially Juve/Dortmund.

Paris Saint-Germain v Chelsea

Man City v Barca

Leverkusen v Atletico

Juventus v Dortmund

Schalke v Real

Shakhtar v Bayern

Arsenal v Monaco

Basel v Porto

If PSG can beat Chelsea, it'll be the upset of the season considering many are saying Chelsea could win the thing. Needless to say, I'm a temporary PSG fan. ;)

I wouldn't go so far as to support Barca, but City getting knocked out would only please me.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

Let's hope that Real Madrid can turn this losing streak around in tomorrow's La Liga game.

I still have high hopes that they can overcome the two goal lead that Atletico Madrid has over them in the Copa del Rey competition. It'll be difficult, but I think they can do it.

• Love 1

Oh god I know. I was just going to quote proserpina65's post about it. Sadly, it was an accurate one

Of course, Arsenal is always capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, even against less accomplished teams, but still . . .

• Love 2

I'm kind of down about Real Madrid's current form as well, but I'm happy that they moved on to the quarter finals. I just hope they can get it together soon because I know they are better than that. Seeing Luka Modric back was awesome and I can't wait for Ramos and James Rodriguez to come back from their injuries too.

I thought the PSG vs. Chelsea game was entertaining to watch. Thiago Silva should consider himself very lucky that he was able to redeem himself so quickly after making that silly mistake and basically handing Chelsea a goal.

• Love 1

I am super happy that Chelsea lost to PSG - especially after all the ish Mourinho talked before the game.

ETA:

Seeing Luka Modric back was awesome and I can't wait for Ramos and James Rodriguez to come back from their injuries too.

The team has really been missing Modric. I hope they can pull it together for the quarterfinal tie.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

Yes! If Arsenal can scrape together a miracle, this'll be the perfect Round of 16 tie (hell, even if they can't it'll still be pretty good.) Chelsea getting knocked out was somehow better than Bayern winning their tie 7-0. All of my teams (well Arsenal who knows) through to the next round

ETA: The SPI (Soccer Power Index) apparently puts arsenal at a 6% chance of winning and making it through. Then again they also said that Chelsea had a 73% chance of beating PSG and even more damning, said that with Neymar injured and Silva out Brazil still had a 50-60% chance of beating Germany. Well if this is it for Arsenal I hope they go out more like Schalke then Shaktar!

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

Watching Real Madrid against Levante today was nerve wracking. Every time they didn't finish a chance, I was cringing and/or yelling at my TV. The good news is that they played well in the first half (except for the whole not finishing chances thing). The second half was shaky, but at least they won.

• Love 1

so so close! just one more goal....

sigh. I'm tempted to say "away with the away goal rule!" but then chelsea might've still qualified too and yes I hate them that much.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 2
so so close! just one more goal....

I was listening to the match on SiriusXM, and I was willing Arsenal to get that third goal. I have to think that by the law of averages, one of these round of 16 matches will end in their favor. Right?

sigh. I'm tempted to say "away with the away goal rule!" but then chelsea might've still qualified too and yes I hate them that much.

All day. Every day.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

I have to think that by the law of averages, one of these round of 16 matches will end in their favor. Right?

Ah, the sweet agony of being an Arsenal fan; it's the gift that never stops giving.  I just keep thinking of watching the 2010 win against Barca at a pub in Baltimore surrounded by my fellow Gooners, all going insane after the second Arsenal goal, and try to pretend in my head that it was the CL Final.  It's such a lovely fantasy.

It's too bad Arsenal wasn't able to get that third goal yesterday. They were so close.

That penalty shoot out between Atlético Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen was close as well. I don't think it's the best way to determine a game, but I enjoy watching it as long as a team that I love isn't involved because otherwise, it's nerve-wracking.