Type keyword(s) to search

S02E07: Dumb Patrol

kieyra
  • Start Topic

Miranda helps protect the Doom Patrol from some truly terrible ideas after a mysterious package arrives at the manor; Rita's visit to the Cloverton beekeeper leads her to confront her mommy issues; Niles heads north to find Dorothy's mother.

Airing Thursday, July 23, 2020

(edited)

I actually enjoyed this episode, there were a lot of sight gags, from Larry unsuccessfully eating popcorn to Rita's stylish beekeeping outfit complete with a gold bee brooch. Since there is really not much of a story line to follow, at least make the fluff watchable.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 1

There was a lot to like about this episode, especially a much-needed break from Dorothy. I always enjoy “altered states” episodes, and this one didn’t disappoint. 

They’ve refined Cliff’s character to the point that just watching him stomp around screaming FUCK FUCK FUCK is entertaining.

I could watch a whole show about Jane and the alters, but that would be a Tatianna Maslany level workload. (Who, to my mind, Diane Guerrero is beginning to approach in skill with this show.) 

• Love 5

The funniest gag for me was, and I don't know if they did it on HBO Max, when the Beard Hunter said that Mr. Nobody got an animated gig and hadn't come back, they put up a "Harley Quinn now streaming on DC Universe" promo bug. (Minor HQ spoiler:

Spoiler

Tudyk does a Mr. Nobody voice-over in the series finale.

)

I'm guessing that the billboard Cliff fell through is the only Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man appearance we're getting this season.

I'm wondering why Jane was immune to the gas, and if one of her personalities is infected. 

And Cliff may have found a way to break the ice with his daughter just as Niles puts a contract on his.

1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

I'm wondering why Jane was immune to the gas, and if one of her personalities is infected. 

At one point Miranda mentions that 'everyone is acting weird including Flit'. But I could have sworn I saw Miranda inhale some of the purple. (Haven't rewatched to verify.)

• Love 2

Miranda did inhale the smoke. Maybe immunity is her power. She seems really calm which makes me think she's really not. Lol. And I always love when the alters work together. I also love Silver Tongue. 

Brenden Frasier must have fun voicing this character, most of his lines are just repeating fuck. I also have to give props to the stunt man in the Robot suit, he's able to portray all of Cliff's emotions with just slight body movements.

What did Roni steal? Also I love that Vic and Cliff just call Larry a mummy. What did Vic tell her, that he lived with an asshole scientist, a mummy, a robot, an actress and Jane? 

Beekeeper is that going to be Rita's hero name. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MarkHB said:

The funniest gag for me was, and I don't know if they did it on HBO Max, when the Beard Hunter said that Mr. Nobody got an animated gig and hadn't come back, they put up a "Harley Quinn now streaming on DC Universe" promo bug.

Not part of the HBO Max airing.

Maybe all the time that Miranda spent in the well allowed her to reach enlightenment.

I really thought the Beard Hunter might have followed them to the Queen Scant lair and save the day.

The ghosts having sex wasn't funny the first time I saw it and is a major fail as a running gag.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MarkHB said:

The funniest gag for me was, and I don't know if they did it on HBO Max, when the Beard Hunter said that Mr. Nobody got an animated gig and hadn't come back, they put up a "Harley Quinn now streaming on DC Universe" promo bug. (Minor HQ spoiler:

I watched it on HBO Max and saw that part. I figured it was a reference to another show Alan was on. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Jane's Underground has been developed beyond Grant Morrison's original conception into the most compelling aspect of this show. As to the family relationship arcs -- I'm hanging in there with Cliff and his daughter, but I've grown impatient with Larry's ongoing family plot line. I hope we've seen the last of the Trainor clan.

In general, I prefer the way that Morrison structured his narratives : a series of adventures presented episodically, with audience interest being concentrated in the wildly imaginative ideas, images, and situations -- not in character relation soap opera.

Edited by clack
(edited)

"Fucking fuck!!"-Cliff Steele 

I cant decide on my favorite detail, Kite-Man recommending Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Mans autobiography, or the safety film brought to us by the Knights Templar. 

Fun episode, I often enjoy these "characters get drugged and act weird" stories, it even made me less bored with Roni and Roni/Vic and they seem to now be actually going somewhere with that now. So maybe Miranda's power is immunity? She definitely inhaled the Bad Idea Bear gas, but while Flip was affected, she wasn't. So what is going on in the Underground? One good thing about Jane being down there for a bit is that we get to see more of the Underground, which I fully approve of. 

Look out evil dooers, The Beekeeper has arrived! 

I wonder if Mr. Nobody will make a reappearance now that he is apparently no longer in the picture prison?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I feel like I enjoy every episode for the crazy plot of that episode, but I'm generally bored by the individual character arcs that drag out over the course of the season. The Larry and Rita stories hit the same beats nearly every episode. Rita at least seems to enjoy some of the shenanigans that occur while Larry remains his angsty self every episode. Vic and his girlfriend and Cliff and his daughter are just snooze-worthy besides Cliff's various "fucks". The only one that works is Jane, but that's because it's not a single person's story really.

I didn't miss Dorothy. I'm sort of interested in what the Candlemaker is, but they're dragging that out too.

I've never like stories where a character is allowed to be horrible in order to save some family member and we're supposed to be at least somewhat on their side so I don't really care about Niles. It still feels like we're supposed understand him and accept what he's done to these people as some kind of necessary evil.

Edited by Nellise