Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Episode 4

• Start Topic

Yeah I can see the complaints about the violence.  But the shootout vs the sniper effectively conveyed the PTSD.  Sean didn’t process what was happening even after Alex’s head literally was shot off — convenient for Elliot because Alex had him nailed as a cop.

But there’s so much intrigue going on, Finn’s secret deal with Luan, which probably led to his assassination,  Victoria getting a video of someone holding a knife cutter against her face or head while she slept, Floriana still pregnant but chained in some basement, Alex being approached to launder money for other people after laundering billions with apartment office towers — it can’t possibly be that easy to pour dirty money into rather conspicuous assets like those towers, from one of which Finn burned that boy.

This isn’t just some simple story of rival criminal organizations going at each other, raising the ante with each round of violence.

Marian tells Jacqueline, who hates her mother for her drug addict brother Billy and Sean the sociopathic thug, that she shielded her so well from the criminal life that he would hate her family.

By the end of the episode, after performing emergency surgery on the dining table on Elliot, they’d kind of reconciled.

But not until after the frenzied surgery followed by another assassination attempt, which Alex and Ed prevented by killing the assassin posing as a caterer.

So the Wallaces and Dumanis stand united, looking at their reflections in the mirror shattered by the would-be assassins bullet.

• Love 1

I'm completely confused here.  The episode I just watched, labeled 1.4, starts with a gunfight in Albania and the discovery of a body that has been tortured over a fire.  Then it skips around to a money laundering operation, an almost hookup in a high rise, the Albanians loading stolen money on an airplane, interrupted by the Wallace gang holding the woman's kids hostage, only for them to be rescued by Elliott and the other guy, and the money getting all burned up.  Plus other miscellaneous violence and such.  Sorry, I'm just not really following what's going on in this show.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I'm completely confused here.  The episode I just watched, labeled 1.4, starts with a gunfight in Albania and the discovery of a body that has been tortured over a fire.  Then it skips around to a money laundering operation, an almost hookup in a high rise, the Albanians loading stolen money on an airplane, interrupted by the Wallace gang holding the woman's kids hostage, only for them to be rescued by Elliott and the other guy, and the money getting all burned up.  Plus other miscellaneous violence and such.  Sorry, I'm just not really following what's going on in this show.

I'll sit at your table.  I decided t keep watching this show but it just gets more and more confusing, mainly because there are too many characters and plots to keep up with. 

And speaking of violence, how many more extremely vicious, violent fights do we have to see with Eliot?  I guess his fights are supposed to be one of the highlights of the show, but they're getting to be ridiculous.  By now, he should be in the hospital with brain damage, broken legs and arms and internal injuries.   

I don't think the fights are that different that anything we haven't seen in Game of Thrones.

Seems like the bar for violent action scenes in shows and movies have been raised way up.

So they allocated a budget and probably hired fight scene coordinators who worked with the actors and stunt doubles to design over the top action.

But there is some substance to the plot so it could be that the violence kind of undermines the plot.

• Love 1

True.

But TV and movies, you know.

Yeah he took on that whole gang by himself and he's had to kill a couple of times.  He had to defend himself but not realistic that a UC would continue being a UC like that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I really like this show - love a good gritty British crime drama.

I'm really torn on Elliot. The actor is so great at conveying the tension between trying to stay in character, and struggling with his humanity. How long before he gets caught? The headless henchman clocked him as a cop but he conveniently lost his head in the sniper attack. Elliot can keep saving Sean, but his squeamishness with the violence of being a member of the Wallace gang is going to eventually catch up to him.

Nothing says lost appetite like serving up some gore in the middle of the dinner table. 

That poor kid is going to have nightmares of gunshot wounds and smack addicts dancing in his head for years to come. 

• Like 1
(edited)

Yikes, that video of someone walking into Vick's bedroom while she was asleep was terrifying and creepy. But knowing her, that will not deter her from continuing with the investigation.

Poor Floriana. She's about ready to pop that baby out so she should be relaxing on a soft comfy bed and eating ice cream straight out of the carton while she watches her favorite movies. Instead she's chained up in a basement and not even given a fork to eat her food. When Sean inevitably finds out about the baby, will he kill it? Or is killing babies where he draws the line?

Eliot, on the other hand, finally drew his line in the sand with Mark's orders. He thought he was helping the jewel thief by telling him to stay down after he punched him, only to have Mark hand him a hammer. That was pretty brutal. And now he's in too deep because Ed tracked down Eliot's dad. If he wasn't already committed to being undercover, he definitely has to be now. On the plus side, taking a bullet for Sean means he's in.

Shannon's poor kid is going to need therapy after the worst dinner party ever. At the end of it all, I kind of laughed because I was imagining Jackie telling her family, "This is why I don't come to family dinners anymore!"

On 4/26/2021 at 1:00 AM, Dowel Jones said:

The episode you're describing is episode 3. What Sean burned at the airport was $80 million of heroin packed into Fruit Loop boxes (which were packed in the basement of Lale's sister's store).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1