Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Stormy Weather

With a severe storm on the way, the Perry family heads for higher ground. With Luly's help, Larry reaches out to assist his estranged daughter and granddaughter escape the storm. Luly pens a very personal essay that ends up in the wrong hands.

Airing Thursday, June 25, 2020.

(edited)

So, let's break this down a little.

They are in GA, which can often be on a direct hurricane path. The hurricane is Aiden, meaning the first named storm of the season. The season starts in June, the first named storm would be in June, but let's expand that to August (even though each year named storms form earlier, some even in May). Why are all of them wearing sweaters in June - August, in Georgia? It is high summer. 

Also, they live in an Island, by the water, and have a basement? I don't think this is even possible.

The writers don't even try, do they?

Edited by alexvillage
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, alexvillage said:

So, let's break this down a little.

They are in GA, which can often be on a direct hurricane path. The hurricane is Aiden, meaning the first named storm of the season. The season starts in June, the first named storm would be in June, but let's expand that to August (even though each year named storms form earlier, some even in May). Why are all of them wearing sweaters in June - August, in Georgia? It is high summer. 

Also, they live in an Island, by the water, and have a basement? I don't think this is even possible.

The writers don't even try, do they?

And, it was full-on storming before anyone realized there might be an issue?  I live on the east coast.  We know if there's a storm brewing days before it could possibly affect the weather here.  Even if (I think they said) it had taken a sudden turn at the end, no way they wouldn't have known it was out there.  Surely at least one of those kids would be a Weather Channel nerd.

• Love 3

I like this show because I am a sucker for ensemble casts and building of big and related/unrelated extended families. I also fully except that the writing for this show is not good.

It seems as if every twist is expected at this point. So, I am just going to enjoy this before it is canceled.

Did we really think Anthony was gone for good? Theo was going to die? Charlotte and JJ would not read the paper? Larry's daughter and grand-daughter would not come with him and Luly?

I get a feeling that this show is simply about relationships people have with one another. I find that to be acceptable. I just wish it was written smarter and more complex than what it is.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/27/2020 at 7:09 AM, alexvillage said:

Why are all of them wearing sweaters in June - August, in Georgia? It is high summer. 

Not to mention that Theo's girlfriend recently received her college acceptance or made her college decision - which should make it late fall at the very earliest and early/mid June at the latest. But a couple of episodes ago it was January, wasn't it? I try not to think too hard about it 

Edited by TOWTooMuchTV
thought more about the college timeline
  • Love 2

There’s one more episode, right? Even though there’s a lot to snark at, it pretty much worked for me as a limited series. Not sure I would have kept up with it if it went on for multiple seasons. 

It probably helps that I never watched This is Us, A Million Little Things, etc. so I wasn’t already burned out on the genre. 

26 minutes ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

Not to mention that Theo's girlfriend recently received her college acceptance or made her college decision - which should make it late fall at the very earliest and early/mid June at the latest. But a couple of episodes ago it was January, wasn't it? I try not to think too hard about it 

Most colleges have an application deadline of Jan 1 to  Feb 1.  Most students who are accepted will find out if they were accepted sometime after Feb 1.

May 1 is the deadline to make your decision on what college you want to attend from the one(s) you have been accepted into.  So if Theo's girlfriend just recently got her acceptance it could still be late winter/early Spring.

11 hours ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

Not to make any excuses for this horribly written show, but a couple of episodes the DID do a huge time jump in it, so it could've been January then and summer now.  The rest, though, makes no sense.

• Love 1

I'm finally watching all of this, to get it off my DVR, and I can't believe everything they've thrown at this family. I like the actors, it's just a lot, like they get no down-time. I'm surprised they didn't foresee the pandemic, and throw that in, too.