Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation: Season Forty Six of SNL

• Start Topic

On 8/13/2020 at 3:59 AM, ruby24 said:

I want Jason back as Biden. Immediately with the news I was imagining to see him and Maya together- I think it'd be great.

Yeah, I agree. I think everyone feels the same way.  It will be a real letdown if they don't do that. Maya especially has gotten so much goodwill over it in the press. Joy Reid practically did cartwheels "I know this isn't the most important thing, but we get Maya Rudolph, too! OMG! OMG!" 

It's like when McCain chose Palin, and Lorne says everyone was coming up to him grinning ear to ear, and it was all over the press. Lorne would say "Tina doesn't even work here anymore. She has her own show." It didn't matter. It had to happen.

And it certainly won't hurt if Maya wins an Emmy for the impression next month. That seemed like a real longshot before, but with all the buzz and press this week, you gotta think the likelihood of that shot up.

Aw, Cecily seems like a good one. It was nice of her to acknowledge making space for newer cast members, and I guess she doesn't want a big sendoff a la Kristen Wiig, even though I think she deserves it. She's got some tough competition in her Emmy category, but it would be really cool if she could pull it off. I hope the nomination at least made her happy, because it seems like she's really been going through it these past few months (I know we all have but she especially appears to be taking things really hard) and she totally earned it.

I don't blame anybody for not leaving right now, even the cast members I'm not a big fan of. Why give up one of the rare steady paychecks to be found in an industry that is otherwise completely shut down? I hope when she does leave she has plenty of opportunities--I'm excited to see where her post-SNL career takes her.

• Love 6

Seth is heading back to 30 Rock with Late Night after Labor Day. His office and studio are on the same floor as the SNL studio (SNL's offices are 9 floors up). I know we talked about the Tonight Show potentially being a test case for what SNL can do this season, but I imagine it would complicate things to have the staff from both shows being so close to each other. Those hallways are narrow and there's a lot of people going back and forth all day. I'm sure most of Seth's staff that don't need access to the studio will stay remote, but it does make things more difficult.

Source: I was intern at Late Night 5 years ago, and we were constantly running into SNL people the weeks they had shows.

• Love 4

Normally we would have heard by now about a season premiere date. I guess they still haven't quite figured out how to do this. 

Too bad. I was hoping we'd get to see Jason Sudeikis and Maya Rudolph back as Biden/Harris before the election.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Normally we would have heard by now about a season premiere date. I guess they still haven't quite figured out how to do this. 

Too bad. I was hoping we'd get to see Jason Sudeikis and Maya Rudolph back as Biden/Harris before the election.

Your timing worked out, as they announced a date. October 3rd. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/arts/television/saturday-night-live-returns.html

Nothing else has been said. There has been speculation going on from some on Twitter who are/were regulars on the standby line, from everything to no audience to having 5 live episodes in a row (that one would be a first as the most they have had up to now has been 4). I guess we will see.

• Love 1

They could do it without an audience. Do they need to have 5 episodes in a row?

They would still get 4 in before the election if they just did their usual three in a row, then a week off, then back for the Halloween show. And then they'd get a post election one too.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1

I got confirmation on the five shows in a row. That would be every Saturday in October. October 3, 10, 17, 24, and 31st.

It's election season, baby. Gotta do all those debate sketches. I can't wait for the Vice Presidential one.

BTW that is also expected news with Ego. She's been in the featured cast for two seasons. Two seasons seems like the maximum for that. Next year Chloe and Bowen will be upgraded.

• Love 2

Surprised they'll do a show on actual Halloween, though I guess this year most people won't be out.

I'd be fine if they started doing studio shows again (provided all precautions are taken), but I'll be really upset if they have a live audience. Like, upset enough to not even watch.

Per NBC's website, they did run the ticket lottery this year: https://www.nbc.com/tickets/pages/tickets-and-nbc-studio-tour#snl

• Love 3
3 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Surprised they'll do a show on actual Halloween, though I guess this year most people won't be out.

I'd be fine if they started doing studio shows again (provided all precautions are taken), but I'll be really upset if they have a live audience. Like, upset enough to not even watch.

Per NBC's website, they did run the ticket lottery this year: https://www.nbc.com/tickets/pages/tickets-and-nbc-studio-tour#snl

Maybe, They could have them Laughing And Clapping from Their Homes like They do on America's Got Talent ! Maybe, They Could Wear A Mask ! Is That All Right With You ? The Cast Members Need to have some Response so They know IF They were Funny ! Maybe, They would Have The Distance By Where They Seated Them ! Would That Be all Right With You ?

11 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I don't think they'd have a live audience, as Seth and Jimmy aren't, and Lorne produces both those shows. It's too much of a risk right now.

The last Halloween episode was in 1992, with Catherine O'Hara (she would have been a great host this season, if not for the pandemic). They have a lot of material to do a Halloween show on so hopefully it will be memorable. 

• Love 3

For the host slots, I'm thinking they will just look and see who is available and in NYC that week. If Alec Baldwin, Maya, and Sudeikis are going to be around anyway, it would be easy enough to just slot one of them into that if needed. I also imagine Jimmy Fallon and Tina being on standby to come in at the last minute.

I also have a feeling a lot (if not all) of the music will still be remote for awhile. I've noticed this week that Seth's band is still not in the studio. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, vb68 said:

For the host slots, I'm thinking they will just look and see who is available and in NYC that week. If Alec Baldwin, Maya, and Sudeikis are going to be around anyway, it would be easy enough to just slot one of them into that if needed. I also imagine Jimmy Fallon and Tina being on standby to come in at the last minute.

I also have a feeling a lot (if not all) of the music will still be remote for awhile. I've noticed this week that Seth's band is still not in the studio. 

A few hosts have started having brief guests (Seth had Amber Ruffin; Corden had Usher), but I do wonder if SNL is too big for that process. 

I could see John Mulaney hosting too, if asked. 

I hate to link to TMZ, but they have an article up claiming that a small production crew will be back in studio next week, that they are scouting for big spaces in NYC or warehouses in Jersey and Brooklyn for pre-taped sketches, no live audience anytime soon, and that celebrity guests may still have to be on via Zoom. 

Here is the link if you want to read it.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/13/saturday-night-live-return-changes-election-season-audience-zoom/

Some interesting tidbits in this:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/09/snl-lorne-michaels-season-46-interview.html

There is Lauren Holt, who auditioned a year ago, and again last season, and the plan was to bring her in toward the end of the season that ended abruptly. 

Most of the time when SNL brings in someone toward the end of a season, it means they know someone else is leaving - Maya Rudolph and Kate McKinnon both came around this way (the other time is if Lorne feels a cast isn't working, but I don't think he feels that way about this group). So that makes me wonder if one or more of Kate, Aidy and Cecily had told Lorne they were leaving last season. 

All three of [the new cast members] are people with original voices and talent. They’re bringing something that we now don’t have. And also, Kate will be back for all these election shows. So many people had committed to doing projects in the summer, which then got moved. So Aidy has been doing Shrill, and she’ll be here for some shows and have to go back to that for others. Cecily is doing a project in Vancouver, but we’ll green screen her for things. People will stay involved, but they may not physically be in the studio.

There are a lot of really long-running cast members.
[Laughs.] Yes.

Does that reflect a different approach? Is it something about this season in particular?
Many things have happened. One of them is that the traditional television season is now eight to ten episodes. So, Kenan’s show, which would have been shot over the summer, is ten episodes. Now it’ll be shot after the election shows, and he’ll go back and forth to Los Angeles. But Kenan can come in the day before and he’ll be fine; he just knows the drill so well. And certainly that’s the way it is for Cecily as well, and Aidy. Their hearts are here. I have no question about it, and this is their first priority. So I’m happy about that.

The idea of, basically, 3, or 4, or however many people barely appearing early on (Bowen has also tweeted that he will have limited appearances early this season) makes me wonder if we'll be getting some big midseason departures and if some of the old cast just returned to get to say goodbye. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Kate is gone after the first five episodes or after the Christmas show. She's definitely on borrowed time. Aidy and Cecily are iffy to me. I have a feeling both of them will just be green screened from time to time.  After the first five, I doubt they will be on every single episode, but who knows. And again, as I have said, any absence of Cecily is going to leave a hole. Her characters and impressions like Cathy Anne and Judge Jeanine are key.

I'm suddenly wondering if Sudeikis' Biden was deemed to be too much from a prior era or something. (Like with Darrell's Trump.)  I'm not sure. I'm sure Jason could tweek it just a bit to fit the current dynamics if he was asked to do it. Maybe it's just a scheduling thing with Covid  (though they are apparently working something out with Maya), or maybe they wanted a fresh take.  I just hope this works out better than when they announced Taran would be Trump.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, vb68 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Kate is gone after the first five episodes or after the Christmas show. She's definitely on borrowed time. Aidy and Cecily are iffy to me. I have a feeling both of them will just be green screened from time to time.  After the first five, I doubt they will be on every single episode, but who knows. And again, as I have said, any absence of Cecily is going to leave a hole. Her characters and impressions like Cathy Anne and Judge Jeanine are key.

I'm suddenly wondering if Sudeikis' Biden was deemed to be too much from a prior era or something. (Like with Darrell's Trump.)  I'm not sure. I'm sure Jason could tweek it just a bit to fit the current dynamics if he was asked to do it. Maybe it's just a scheduling thing with Covid  (though they are apparently working something out with Maya), or maybe they wanted a fresh take.  I just hope this works out better than when they announced Taran would be Trump.  

Jason has A TV Show and he is A Coach for A Soccer Team ! Maybe, that is why Lorne decided to get Jim Carrey !

The thing is though, I don't think the public's image of Biden has changed much (or at all) from before, so I think Jason's Biden would still be fine now. Still good, even.

They had to change Trump from Darrell Hammond because the image of him really had done a 180 since the days when he would play him. 

23 hours ago, ruby24 said:

The thing is though, I don't think the public's image of Biden has changed much (or at all) from before, so I think Jason's Biden would still be fine now. Still good, even.

They had to change Trump from Darrell Hammond because the image of him really had done a 180 since the days when he would play him. 

They  had to change who played Donald Trump because Donald Trump changed so Much ! How Ever, I can't see where Jason would give Neck Massages, But Jim Carrey would NOT Give Neck Massages ! Jim Carrey Is Such A Nut And He would Not Be Sensitive To the woman IN MY OPINION ! How Ever, Maybe, I Would Be wrong ! I Don't Know ! I guess we will have to wait and see what IT will look like !