Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Sixth Stage

Robin contemplates romantic life after Scott. Luly and Evan make a risky investment with their loan money. Anthony prepares for the transition of the Crab Shack and develops a surprising friendship. Larry confronts his past failures.

Airing Thursday, May 14, 2020.

The whole story of a 45ish year old woman “practice kissing” with a stranger was like 7th heaven levels of cringe. And again Robin needs a female friend to talk about these things with. The Unicorn on CBS did a better job of handling a similar story where a young widow (or widower in that show’s case) has physical desires but isn’t ready to commit.

We still don’t know how old Luly and Evan are supposed to be but probably not above 25. I love how so many TV shows think that most 20 somethings have their life together and would have $54k saved just to drop on a house in auction. Most of us don’t. 

Larry is still the best. Michael O’Neill is carrying this show which otherwise is showing why NBC burned it off. His interactions with JJ were great, that kid shouldn’t have to deal with the consequences of Larry’s actions from before he was likely even alive.

And 2 weeks until the next episode, how will NBC survive? Not like this Celebrity Escape Room thing will outrate it.

When Evan snorted "You think we're idiots", I said "Yes."  You spent your school loan on a dump of a house (is that even legal?) without even going inside to look at it.  And your dream is to show that the other houses in the neighborhood could be remodeled.  Especially if you have $54K and an interest-free loan of $20K to start.  And then there was the mold problem.  "Oh, it floods here often, so we'll need flood insurance."  Uhhh, yeah?

I would have laughed out loud if Theo had pulled out the condom when they reached the gravestone, and all those girls had said "You creep!  Get out of here!"

• Love 4

I thought this episode has a lighter tone than the previous three.  It was welcome.

Luly and Evan are the poster children of bad decisions.  I have never wanted a marriage to fail so bad and only after three episodes.  LOL.  I did like her interaction with Anthony who was basically telling her to own her decisions.   Even the bad ones.  And once again I am glad the  'Council' were pragmatic about money. In another show they would have given them the 20 grand.

I don't think I've ever seen two black men of a certain age, in bed together with implied nudity on network so Kudos!  That said, interesting twist in Oliver's marriage.

How petty is Larry's daughter to punish a kid for something her dad did?  Again, I thought it was a nice swerve for this show to not try and fix it and make is all better for JJ, but instead teach him that things don't always work out. 

I agree, Robin needs a girlfriend.  I am sure it happens in real life but I hate it when a woman doesn't have a female sister-friend.  My own girlfriend posse is so wonderful I want others to have that too.

• Love 2
On 5/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, gsnrocks92 said:

The whole story of a 45ish year old woman “practice kissing” with a stranger was like 7th heaven levels of cringe.

Right? The show is so "woke" and yet the writers think that this is a story worthy telling. She is horny, give her a vibrator. 

On 5/15/2020 at 6:26 PM, gsnrocks92 said:

I love how so many TV shows think that most 20 somethings have their life together and would have $54k saved just to drop on a house in auction. Most of us don’t. 

Most of us who are double their age don't either. And some have jobs who actually give some security.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, Dowel Jones said:

You spent your school loan on a dump of a house (is that even legal?) without even going inside to look at it. 

I don't think it is legal. "As is" doesn't mean what they said in the show. The house looked like a crack house inside, no toilet, mold, something dead inside the fridge, dirty and not sanitary. Basically, a health hazard. I don't think the auction could have happened with the house in those conditions and if it did happen, they would have to disclose the potential dangers. 

I suspect the show will be cancelled before the season ends, unless they already filmed everything and/or NBC needs the new stuff to air since the other shows will not come back in the fall because of the pandemic.

• Love 1

Luly and Evan are the poster children of bad decisions.

That was evident during the pilot. They broke up. Evan comes running when Luly calls and declares, "I'm not just your grieving buddy." Luly replies, "you're not just my grieving buddy. By the way, my dad died."

SMH lol - I hate watch most shows. lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I suspect the show will be cancelled before the season ends, unless they already filmed everything and/or NBC needs the new stuff to air since the other shows will not come back in the fall because of the pandemic.

They won’t pull it off the air before the end of the season since there is a lack of content as is. But this is pretty much a burn off along with Blindspot’s final season (which it only got to give it a conclusive ending to help streaming numbers). If they had hope in it they would have pushed it to fall to have content in case scripted shows won’t be able to film in time (FOX and CW have already planned for this, with their schedules being filled with unscripted, shows from this season pushed to next season and various imports from streaming, while new seasons of their scripted shows won’t air until January 2021).

I get that it's the premise that there is a "Council" of Dads, but I hate that they refer to themselves as a "Council" all of the time.  I think it's a nice sentiment to have close friends to serve in a "dad" role now that the dad is dead, but Robin is a grown ass woman.  She does not need them to agree on every single tiny decision.  Yes, she acts like an idiot (practice kissing???) but she IS a doctor and has been a mom for quite some time.  It would make so much more sense to ONLY use the guys in the situations that a dad is actually needed- such as the sex talk with Theo.  Robin shouldn't even have been there since she has people to help with that.  Not that mom's can't handle the sex talk, but it's so much easier for a boy to hear it from someone who can relate.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

I get that it's the premise that there is a "Council" of Dads, but I hate that they refer to themselves as a "Council" all of the time.  I think it's a nice sentiment to have close friends to serve in a "dad" role now that the dad is dead, but Robin is a grown ass woman. 

Agreed. This show is somewhat infantilizing.

• Love 2

So many issues with this episode....

1. Sure, the best time to have your (first ever??) sex talk with a 17 year old is as he is literally walking out the door with his sister waiting in the car

2. What happened to the money from the sale of the Crab Shack? It seems like the sale is done (well, that was fast) but even if it isn't they know that money is coming. Whose is it? Just Robin or divided among the five kids? Luly is done with college and doesn't need college money but she could have used to help her husband go back to school or toward a house (but not that disgusting money pit, ugh, they really should get out of that deal but hey, follow your dreams @@)

3. Larry's daughter/Ivy's mom is the worst!!! You're going to punish some other innocent kid because your father ruined your childhood? Not to mention her own kid, who seemed to like JJ when they ran into each other. It would be one thing if Larry were JJ's dad but he isn't, why couldn't Lauren have just contacted Robin and told her that JJ is welcome but Larry is to be nowhere near her kid's party?

4. How old is Charlotte? Didn't she just turn 13? Why is she in high school?

5. Can someone please get Theo a therapist??? He needs more than the council of awkward dads, please

Hope is really cute though

• Love 2

It  bums me out that the show is so bad, because I like some of the characters and I think it could have been good, but it just isn't.

Mostly I like JJ, Charlotte, Larry, Oliver and his husband.

The Crab Shack money is likely in the bank (or investments). She was going to use it to put the kids through college, so I don't think we'll be seeing any of it for a while, since he only one of college age is on her own, and the others are much too young.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

The Crab Shack money is likely in the bank (or investments). She was going to use it to put the kids through college, so I don't think we'll be seeing any of it for a while, since he only one of college age is on her own, and the others are much too young.

As an adult heir of Scott's I would think Luly should have gotten her own portion to do with and manage as she chooses, but then again it's probably good that she didn't based on her and Evan's decision making.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, TOWTooMuchTV said:

As an adult heir of Scott's I would think Luly should have gotten her own portion to do with and manage as she chooses, but then again it's probably good that she didn't based on her and Evan's decision making.

Unless Scott had a will, the money goes to Robin. Spouses are the primary beneficiaries