Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Who Do You Wanna Be?

Larry presents an offer to Robin that will impact the future of the Crab Shack. Luly digs deep into personal experiences to make an impression in her writing group. Evan contemplates a return to school. Oliver makes strides with Theo.

Airing Thursday, May 7, 2020.

The mom should have stuck to her guns and medical knowledge and not let her kid play football. 

Too much guilt, angst, bad parenting, and poor copy-cat writing.  I'm out.  (Until the next episode because we'll still be quarantined.)

• Love 2

Evan is going to get a rude introduction to the world of real estate when he attempts to remodel that broken down house in a poorer neighborhood.  That place is a money pit.  On the other hand, I cannot fathom the idea of two people in a 200 sq. ft. apartment.  You'd have to go outside to change your mind.

Oliver (the Crab Shack chef?) was dressed just a wee bit too nice to go out fishing.  That's a dirty job.

It's probably the best idea to sell the Crab Shack, especially given the terms.  Larry is right; the income is dependent on discretionary spending, and, as we are now seeing, business are crashing right and left, many to never reopen.  He sure was being a jerk about it, though. He has some work to do to integrate more fully with the other dads.

Larry has to be Scott’s father, right? The show seemed to be hinting at it with Larry  having a framed photo of Scott next to the picture of his kids. And it explains why he is so involved in the family to begin with.

Didnt get why selling the restaurant was a big deal. I get not wanting it to become “corporate” but it seemed like Scott would care more about the income selling the restaurant would provide for his family.

• Love 1

One thing that I am unsure of. Did Michelle tell Scott that Luly was Anthony's child? Did Anthony know that Luly was his daughter?  I don't know how I've missed this. As a native Savannahian who lived in Savannah and on Wilmington Island for almost 68 years before moving to North Georgia let me just say how much I miss my beautiful home. 

On 5/7/2020 at 8:54 PM, Brookside said:

The mom should have stuck to her guns and medical knowledge and not let her kid play football. 

Oliver put the mom in a very bad spot.  While he had a great experience playing football, he's a doctor and he knows the risks...and he knows Robin's a doctor and is aware of the risks.  He also probably knows that football was a no-go with her.  And while I applaud him for finding something with which to connect with Theo, he did it at Robin's expense.

On 5/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Evan is going to get a rude introduction to the world of real estate when he attempts to remodel that broken down house in a poorer neighborhood.  That place is a money pit.  On the other hand, I cannot fathom the idea of two people in a 200 sq. ft. apartment.  You'd have to go outside to change your mind.

That was exactly my thought...Money Pit!  I mean, that's all fine and good for someone who has money to sink into such a project, Evan and Luly don't have that money.  Even if Luly becomes a successful writer (and, I'm sorry, I was not blown away with her writing skill), that's still years down the road.  The Perry's don't have money and she's not going to be making a lot of money waitressing at the Crab Shack.  On the one hand, buying a dump like that is totally something an idealistic 20 something who thinks he's so good he doesn't need education is pretty believable, it will not come to a good end.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, 65mickey said:

One thing that I am unsure of. Did Michelle tell Scott that Luly was Anthony's child? Did Anthony know that Luly was his daughter?  

From what I understand, no.  Michelle wasn't even completely sure that Anthony was Luly's father.  It seemed like she may have suspected it (because the opportunity had been there), but didn't put the pieces together until the last episode.

I will say that Luly's adoption story sounds uniquely messy enough that I want to see where it goes.  I also like how they've been revealing that Scott wasn't the saint that we saw in the first episode.  It is revealed to the audience as it is revealed to the characters and it is not bogged down with overly manufactured mystery.  I do hope that this show gets a second season because I feel like circumstances beyond anyone's control are stacked against it this season.

• Love 2
On 5/11/2020 at 12:36 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

From what I understand, no.  Michelle wasn't even completely sure that Anthony was Luly's father.  It seemed like she may have suspected it (because the opportunity had been there), but didn't put the pieces together until the last episode.

I already dislike this plot. It is like they didn't have anything for Anthony - the other "dads" in the council have something drama-wise unique: black married gay guy will have some marital issues as he gets more involved with the kids, the other is a father figure, has a chance to be a good "dad". They needed something for Anthony, it would be being Luly's father or being secretly in love with Robin. Both television cliches. It is like they put the cliches of the A Million Little Things in a blender and came up with this one, equally bad result. 

I like that they are slowly building out a past history of both Scot/Anthony and Oliver/Robin.

In the case of Scott/Anthony I am liking how it is unfolding esp. with Luly being the catalyst.  And I am here for the messy parental stew.

It is true that there are some things about people you don't discover until they are dead.  My husband and his sister got a safe deposit box key after their dad died (like something out of a movie, I know) and they discovered deeds to land -- nothing nefarious --  but they came into some really valuable property.  And in following up on it they learned that he had been a lineman (not a football player but like in the Glenn Campbell song) and a commercial fisherman -- both super dangerous jobs  -- and had even worked in a pit crew.  They'd only known him as their dad a simple dairy farmer who didn't talk much about his past.  So to find out he had this younger, more daring life was fascinating to them.

I also like the struggle of the family in deciding what to do about the restaurant.  On the one hand the sentimentality and the fear that something unique and local and theirs would become soulless and sanitized by corporate uniformity makes a lot of sense.  But then so does dolla dolla billz! I am glad they didn't go the cliche root and kept it in the family.  I am glad they chose the money.  That is too many kids and too nice a house to live on sentimentality.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:31 PM, gsnrocks92 said:

Larry has to be Scott’s father, right? The show seemed to be hinting at it with Larry  having a framed photo of Scott next to the picture of his kids. And it explains why he is so involved in the family to begin with.

That is my take too.  Otherwise why show that ginormous picture?  Also explains his over involvement with the family.  Maybe his drinking had something to do with not being able to acknowledge Scott?  And why his daughter hates him?  I was glad his estranged daughter was pulling her kid away from him and not from JJ.  I was ready to roll my eyes at that.

• Love 1