Type keyword(s) to search

S6 Ep 18: "Home is on the Way"

mtlchick
  • Start Topic

In the midst of the Bossyfest launch and the fight to regain control of Empire, Cookie reflects on her life and the woman she has become. Lucious finds it impossible to deny his feelings for Cookie, while continuing to support Yana (guest star Kiandra Richardson) and her rise to stardom. When the Lyons face their biggest threat yet, Lucious prepares for the battle of his life and realizes that in the end, family is what matters the most in the all-new "Home is on the Way" episode of EMPIRE airing Tuesday, April 21 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (EMP-618) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

So...that all happened.  

For what they cobbled together, it was fine.  For what we had to sit through all season with Lucious being "shot" and Cookie being "blown up", we won't get the resolutions we want for a while until they actually make a proper 3 part finale (because parts of ep 19 got mixed into 18) or the scripts are published online.

I did like that Porsha finally got her time to shine, the Cookie a la Foxy Brown and just the idea of 'Bougie and the Ho.'  And oh, Yana finally got offed.  

To the Empire...at least you had the first season that stomped all over the Nielsens ratings.  "You're So Beautiful" is still amazing, and "Drip Drop" will always be a hoot. 

• Love 6

I am a Taraji stan so I stuck with this to the very end. Sad that it went out on such a cobbled-together whimper--really hope FOX gives them the opportunity to properly wrap things up after this pandemic is over.  I'm gonna miss this soap.

• Love 5

I wish Carol had been in the scenes with Cookie and Candace, especially when they were getting ready for BossyFest - it seemed odd that she wasn't there.

I enjoyed seeing Porsha perform, good for her! And I was glad, too, that Becky apologized - she wasn't very nice the past several episodes, perhaps due to her drug use??? I'll always miss the relationship she had with Jamal - it looked as if the two actors were always having a blast doing their scenes together. 

I was pretty surprised that Yana got killed - geez! Kinda drastic!

I hope that at some point, we can find out what was planned for those last two episodes. At this point, I'd be happy to see an animated version, with the actors providing the voices of the cartoon versions of themselves! 

• Love 1

I’m fine with the way it ended. The last 15 minutes definitely felt cobbled together, but they went out on a happy note so that’s good for the fans. 
The only things I’m disappointed in is that Hakeem is stuck with Maya and that in the flashbacks of the family they didn’t show any of Jamal as an adult. That’s pretty cold. 

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, mtlchick said:

So...that all happened.  

For what they cobbled together, it was fine.  For what we had to sit through all season with Lucious being "shot" and Cookie being "blown up", we won't get the resolutions we want for a while until they actually make a proper 3 part finale (because parts of ep 19 got mixed into 18) or the scripts are published online.

I did like that Porsha finally got her time to shine, the Cookie a la Foxy Brown and just the idea of 'Bougie and the Ho.'  And oh, Yana finally got offed.  

To the Empire...at least you had the first season that stomped all over the Nielsens ratings.  "You're So Beautiful" is still amazing, and "Drip Drop" will always be a hoot. 

I agree with you, it was fine. if they don't get a chance to film the last two episodes, I'm glad we will possibly get the scripts for the final two episodes. But I liked it. I know that I wanted Tiana and Hakeem back together, but I think it was better that Hakeem ended up with Maya in the sense that it may end up to be a more mature relationship  than Tiana and Hakeem would have had,  but I am upset that Hakeem is stuck with Maya, and wished that Tiana and Hakeem got back together, because they have a family together, that's what I really wanted to happen, but I'm happy it ended on a happy note. But I do have to say, that maybe at some point, Bryshere and Serayah may have begun getting tired of all of the arguing and back and forth with Tiana and Hakeem, over the course of the series.

I loved that Porsha also got her time to shine, and I loved Cookie ala Foxy Brown situation, it's great Giselle and Kelly Patel were called out, and I loved Bougie and the Ho, as well. I was actually sad when Yana was killed, because Damon wanted to kill Lucious, but killed his daughter instead, because of the stupid grudge he had with Lucious. I still have to stream and download the songs I love from each of the seasons, "You're So Beautiful," "Ibiza," and many others were great. "Drip Drop," is great as well, and is a great song to work out too. 

Edited by journalism16
Changing my opinion.
  • Love 1

I realize they were in a bind, but as a series finale, I think it was pretty awful.  I've watched this faithfully from the 1st episode and it's hard to see what was once such an entertaining show go out in such a cluster---!  Although it was beyond their control, it was really disappointing.

• Love 5

Wait.

THAT was the series finale?

Andre decides not to run away, Jamal continues to not exist, Hakeem remains married to someone he met last week, and Cookie realizes she loves Lucious...AGAIN?

Are we just supposed to forget that Cookie was supposed to explode (literally)?

That's all we get after six years?

1 hour ago, the-grey-lady said:

Wait.

THAT was the series finale?

Andre decides not to run away, Jamal continues to not exist, Hakeem remains married to someone he met last week, and Cookie realizes she loves Lucious...AGAIN?

Are we just supposed to forget that Cookie was supposed to explode (literally)?

That's all we get after six years?

Well for now...yes.  It was made clear that this was going to be the ending we'll get due to the pandemic.  Eventually we will find out what was supposed to happen either by the creators/producers spilling details or if we're really lucky, they actually get to film it.  But contracts would need to be renegotiated, studios and sets would have to be saved or rebuilt, etc. for essentially 2-3 hours of TV.  And that's IF Fox wants to pony up the funds, which I doubt. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Well for now...yes.  It was made clear that this was going to be the ending we'll get due to the pandemic.  Eventually we will find out what was supposed to happen either by the creators/producers spilling details or if we're really lucky, they actually get to film it.  But contracts would need to be renegotiated, studios and sets would have to be saved or rebuilt, etc. for essentially 2-3 hours of TV.  And that's IF Fox wants to pony up the funds, which I doubt. 

I agree that the likelihood of a TV movie to wrap things up is very low. Given the state of things right now, it’s going to be a year or more before we see any scripted television. I think networks are going to focus on reality shows that are cheap to produce and that can take into account social distancing. When scripted shows do come back, I think the networks will again try to focus on things that are cheap to make and have a high likelihood of ratings. Empire had a downward trajectory of ratings and they wouldn’t be able to ask sponsors for as high of a price for it. Plus, the stars already had plans to move on. Taraji has moved back to L.A. and I’m sure already had film commitments lined up. Other cast members will have similar issues. 
If we compare it to Timeless that got a wrap up movie, they were suddenly canceled and then there was a huge campaign by the fans to bring it back. They got a wrap-up movie, but it was because the cast was sort of holding open a window in their schedule just in case. With Empire, they knew the end was coming this whole season so everyone has been planning for what’s next. I just don’t think there’s going to be a big enough clamor by the fans or FOX to make a movie happen.  

• Love 2

I just about lost it when Lucious whipped off his prosthetic leg and used it to kill Damon. 

I'd love to read the scripts, or a version of the scripts, of the episodes that weren't able to be filmed, just to see what the writers had in mind. But for now, I'm going to pretend that everyone ended up in a good way and rode off into the sunset.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2020 at 7:15 AM, Angeleyes said:

I agree that the likelihood of a TV movie to wrap things up is very low. Given the state of things right now, it’s going to be a year or more before we see any scripted television. I think networks are going to focus on reality shows that are cheap to produce and that can take into account social distancing. When scripted shows do come back, I think the networks will again try to focus on things that are cheap to make and have a high likelihood of ratings. Empire had a downward trajectory of ratings and they wouldn’t be able to ask sponsors for as high of a price for it. Plus, the stars already had plans to move on. Taraji has moved back to L.A. and I’m sure already had film commitments lined up. Other cast members will have similar issues. 
If we compare it to Timeless that got a wrap up movie, they were suddenly canceled and then there was a huge campaign by the fans to bring it back. They got a wrap-up movie, but it was because the cast was sort of holding open a window in their schedule just in case. With Empire, they knew the end was coming this whole season so everyone has been planning for what’s next. I just don’t think there’s going to be a big enough clamor by the fans or FOX to make a movie happen.  

This is very true, I don't think Taraji is back in L.A., however, because she is going to be getting married at some point when this virus is all over, but I imagine she will keep her home in L.A. But right now, I think she is still in Chicago. And I do agree with other commitments lined up for Taraji. We will just have to wait and see what's going to happen. As for the newer artists/actors, we don't know what's going to happen with their careers at this point, but even if they are working on different projects, not all of them may have careers like Taraji or Terrence in the future. Only time will tell. But if they are able to have great careers, I will be happy. But the only actors I see having great careers are, Jussie, Trai, Yazz, Rhyon, and Kaitlin, and possibly Serayah. 

On 4/22/2020 at 9:29 PM, SuzieQ said:

I realize they were in a bind, but as a series finale, I think it was pretty awful.  I've watched this faithfully from the 1st episode and it's hard to see what was once such an entertaining show go out in such a cluster---!  Although it was beyond their control, it was really disappointing.

I agree.  I thought this was a hot mess!  

On 4/22/2020 at 6:50 PM, Angeleyes said:

in the flashbacks of the family they didn’t show any of Jamal as an adult. That’s pretty cold. 

I was pretty annoyed by this.  They had "baby Jamal wears drag and gets thrown in the trash" scene.  And adult Jamal was in flashback scene where Cookie pulls the food off the table, but they used an angle where you could barely see him.  They completely eliminated the character which was not cool.  He wasn't in any of the family photos they panned over and as close as all the brothers were, there's no way that Jamal would miss Andre's wedding or not be there to support Andre when he got released from treatment.  They didn't even have a throw away line as to why he wasn't there.  I get they wanted to distance themselves from Jussie, but I only continued to watch the episode because I was so sure that he pop up somewhere.  But I was disappointed by that too.  

The first season of this show was phenomenal nighttime soap magic!  And it will always be close to my heart.  (Off to listen to the songs from the first season...)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, journalism16 said:

This is very true, I don't think Taraji is back in L.A., however, because she is going to be getting married at some point when this virus is all over, but I imagine she will keep her home in L.A. But right now, I think she is still in Chicago. And I do agree with other commitments lined up for Taraji. We will just have to wait and see what's going to happen. As for the newer artists/actors, we don't know what's going to happen with their careers at this point, but even if they are working on different projects, not all of them may have careers like Taraji or Terrence in the future. Only time will tell. But if they are able to have great careers, I will be happy. But the only actors I see having great careers are, Jussie, Trai, Yazz, Rhyon, and Kaitlin, and possibly Serayah. 

She was on The Talk a few days ago. She was in her hair salon in her home in L.A.  (her happy place as she calls it). She was telling the ladies that she has moved back to L.A. now and that she held off as long as she could to see if they could make it work to film the final episodes, but ultimately it wasn’t possible. 

1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

I agree.  I thought this was a hot mess!  

I was pretty annoyed by this.  They had "baby Jamal wears drag and gets thrown in the trash" scene.  And adult Jamal was in flashback scene where Cookie pulls the food off the table, but they used an angle where you could barely see him.  They completely eliminated the character which was not cool.  He wasn't in any of the family photos they panned over and as close as all the brothers were, there's no way that Jamal would miss Andre's wedding or not be there to support Andre when he got released from treatment.  They didn't even have a throw away line as to why he wasn't there.  I get they wanted to distance themselves from Jussie, but I only continued to watch the episode because I was so sure that he pop up somewhere.  But I was disappointed by that too.  

The first season of this show was phenomenal nighttime soap magic!  And it will always be close to my heart.  (Off to listen to the songs from the first season...)

They did have a throwaway line a couple episodes back that Jamal and Kai were in another country completing their adoption and that’s why they couldn’t be there for the wedding. 
I understand not having the actor there to film any new scenes, but it was shady to cut him out of the photos and flashback scenes. I read an article leading up to the finale that interviewed Lee Daniels and he blamed the show getting canceled on the Jussie situation. That’s really stupid to hold a grudge like that because the show was already aging and in a downward slope of ratings anyway. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

She was on The Talk a few days ago. She was in her hair salon in her home in L.A.  (her happy place as she calls it). She was telling the ladies that she has moved back to L.A. now and that she held off as long as she could to see if they could make it work to film the final episodes, but ultimately it wasn’t possible. 

Okay, I see what you're saying. 

1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

They did have a throwaway line a couple episodes back that Jamal and Kai were in another country completing their adoption and that’s why they couldn’t be there for the wedding. 
I understand not having the actor there to film any new scenes, but it was shady to cut him out of the photos and flashback scenes. I read an article leading up to the finale that interviewed Lee Daniels and he blamed the show getting canceled on the Jussie situation. That’s really stupid to hold a grudge like that because the show was already aging and in a downward slope of ratings anyway. 

This is just sad. Lee just wants someone to blame and he's been blaming Jussie ever since his attack happened last year about the show being cancelled because of him, and it's not fair. It was sad how they did keep him out of the scenes, and we know how Terrence, Taraji, Trai, Yazz, Gabby, Nicole, and Vivica felt about him and the situation, but I think this is truly  sad that Lee wants to blame Jussie for the ending of the show, when it was clearly the ratings. But maybe Lee does want to feel completely accepted by Hollywood, and doesn't care who he hurts, or who he may continue to hurt in the process. 

We know how Terrence and Taraji felt about the entire cast, and they truly feel as though Trai, Jussie, and Yazz are their children. It's really sweet.

• Love 1

Oh boy, unpopular opinion incoming...I have ZERO sympathy for JS. We had a show that was a ratings juggernaut its first season, deservedly so. The second season was good but suffered from guest star overload. Third and fourth seasons were ridiculous in my opinion. Fifth season it was starting to finally get back on track, I thought anyway. Kingsley was a good villain for what it's worth. Then the shit hits the fan because some fool did something BEYOND stupid and I think that right there was the dagger to the show. I honestly thought Empire was getting back on track and boom. I don't blame Daniels, I'd be pissed too. 

All of that being said, I agree that this ending sucked but unfortunately that's all we're going to get. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/22/2020 at 6:50 PM, Angeleyes said:

I’m fine with the way it ended. The last 15 minutes definitely felt cobbled together, but they went out on a happy note so that’s good for the fans. 

That's because they used material from episode 19 so material from episode 18 got cut to make room for the "finale" portion of the episode. But it was not a good ending because the deaths of Cookie and Lucious weren't addressed that we were shown multiple times happening in the future that we were building up to. That's not resolved now. I wish Fox just let them film the episodes because it was only like one and a half more which would have taken like a couple more weeks at the most. They really had to be that cheap and sloppy to cut things off?

Edited by Devonte Huntley