Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Merrily We Ride Along

After a near breakdown, Emily arrives at a sobering conclusion; Mark finds himself in an uncomfortable position after he agrees to do a police ride-along; Lola is faced with her own crisis after learning that Robin didn't get the job in Los Angeles.

I'm very glad therapy was brought up for Emily (I mentioned it last week), and I'm glad she went. I loved Lola telling Emily she wasn't alone, and seeing Emily tell the therapist that she needs help was very powerful. It can be very hard to admit you need help. Jessica Camacho did a great job with her face there - I could see Emily realize she need help as she was saying the words.

I thought Lola looked particularly beautiful this episode. I think it was her makeup.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I'm very glad therapy was brought up for Emily (I mentioned it last week), and I'm glad she went. I loved Lola telling Emily she wasn't alone, and seeing Emily tell the therapist that she needs help was very powerful. It can be very hard to admit you need help. Jessica Camacho did a great job with her face there - I could see Emily realize she need help as she was saying the words.

I thought Lola looked particularly beautiful this episode. I think it was her makeup.

I liked this episode--except for the scenes with Lola's parents.  I do like seeing older actors on TV, especially people of color. But I can't figure out Lola's mother. I understand that she's feeling insecure about getting older, especially because she's being pushed out of her job. But having a tantrum where she keeps herself locked in her room for days doesn't fit her personality at all--at least what we know about her. 

And maybe this should go in the "TV Tropes" topic, but why do adults get nervous/worried/secretive about dating relatives of other adults they know? And why would someone get upset if their adult child dated another adult? But I liked Judge Benner's warning to be careful with her son. Does that mean he's a player or a liar? Or something else? Duh-duh-duh!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I was glad she went to therapy too, but I also felt like it was a little inappropriate for Lola to call a lawyer in and suggest therapy like that. I know she was trying to help, but it seemed kind of wrong.

3 hours ago, topanga said:

And maybe this should go in the "TV Tropes" topic, but why do adults get nervous/worried/secretive about dating relatives of other adults they know? And why would someone get upset if their adult child dated another adult? But I liked Judge Benner's warning to be careful with her son. Does that mean he's a player or a liar? Or something else? Duh-duh-duh!

I think in Sarah's case it was because Judge Benner is her boss's boss. She probably feels a little awkward around her in general. But I agree, she was a little over the top with it.

• Love 2

Lola's mom is such drama, every time we see her she is making a big deal out of something! For someone who is supposed to be this well known intellectual and social justice leader, she seems rather immature. Losing her position and figuring out that its probably time to move on and keep up the fight in  another way is something that I am sure that people do deal with, but of course she locks herself in her room like a twelve year old and goes on and on for days about it. I feel like Lola's dad has spent a LONG time playing either referee between Lola and her mom or dealing with her moms various freak outs and tantrums. 

Judge Brenner warning Sarah about her son was sure interesting, whats up with that? She didn't sound super worried, like I doubt the guy is abusive or anything, but maybe he has commitment issues or is a player? Is super sloppy and his apartment is a mess? Has an annoying best friend he refuses to dump? 

I am really really glad that Emily decided to go into therapy, I was practically begging her to go last week. It can be hard to admit you need help sometimes, especially for someone tough like Emily, but I think that this is a really good thing. 

The plot with Mark was interesting. No easy answers, just a lot of questions. 

• Love 8