Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: The Battle for Second Breakfast

Katie begins to feel like the third wheel when the topic at second breakfast starts revolving solely around Angela and Doris’ new relationships. Meanwhile, Greg struggles with Anna-Kat’s newfound independence.

I have to say, I was surprised by how pathetic Katie acted this week. But she did deliver my favorite line of the episode when she told Taylor that "she should have thought of that before she let Oliver grow so tall". As if Taylor had any influence on that 🤣 🤣 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Harvey said:

I have to say, I was surprised by how pathetic Katie acted this week. But she did deliver my favorite line of the episode when she told Taylor that "she should have thought of that before she let Oliver grow so tall". As if Taylor had any influence on that

That cracked me up, but this episode proved 3 things. One: If Katie would just try to "enjoy" other things, she would be a lot happier and would probably have more friends. Two: The principle is so stupid at their school how he passed any graduate courses to be a principle was possible if he just passed the classes and tests and the School Board went: "We need a shill for us! You get the job!" He is not written to have EVER shown he even taught a classroom if he was that bad. He comes across as a teacher from Cam Janson. Three: Greg has no life. If he can't help his kids or fight against something he believes in, he just does what he can because they write him like he has ALL this free time. 

Also with Oliver, STFU on your house. Your house looks great from both the inside to the outside. I wish the writers would just get him over that outlook of his life. They have made such strives with his character this season. Then the go back 5 steps, same with Taylor. Plus, I like how they don't want to be shown on Google Maps how they look in the morning, but hey if the neighbors see us, who cares. Umm... what?

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, AncientNewbie said:

I thought Katie was out-of-character OTT about the friends not focusing entirely on her. It's a fine line, because this is one of those sitcoms without an audience surrogate and everyone is always carrying on.

How true, and while the show has been following on continuity this season from Oliver to Anna-Kat. This entire situation was: "Let's focus on the major part everyone agrees is the worst part and hate about the character and blow it up times 11." Even when Greg called her out on it three times, she still rewrote it in her head. Greg's line: "That is not what I said at all." Then tells Greg that she never listens to him was along the lines of: "Why are they married then?" 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, readster said:

Plus, I like how they don't want to be shown on Google Maps how they look in the morning, but hey if the neighbors see us, who cares. Umm... what?

Haha this is such a good point I didn't even realize. I have to say, they both looked extremely good when they started putting the effort into their appearance waiting for the car to come. Taylor looked so mature in some of those shots.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Haha this is such a good point I didn't even realize. I have to say, they both looked extremely good when they started putting the effort into their appearance waiting for the car to come. Taylor looked so mature in some of those shots.

I agree and Taylor was write: "It's just mud." Plus even with 8K computers and TVs, the mud wouldn't be that noticeable. Of course, leave it to Oliver: "I can't look my best, screw everything else even if it doesn't make sense." You just roll your eyes because if he was that vain, he would not have walked out in the morning in his tshirt, bed head and panda slippers.

• Love 2

If Taylor and Oliver were so concerned about how they would appear on the map forever, why would they want to be photoed doing domestic chores like mowing the lawn or picking up poop? Wouldn’t they rather stage it with maybe a bunch of high end shopping bags in their hands as they casually walked by the house or something that made them look more glamorous?

katie acts like a child with her friends. It’s ridiculous.

• Love 3

The writers write the mom's character as if the only one she cares about and actually likes is Ana Kat. Why does she treat the others so badly? What did Greg and Katie see in each other in the first place, I'll never know. He is a good guy that is treated badly by his family. I'm sad for him, really. I hope the writers are careful in the coming episodes that they stay within a boundary that doesn't make the mom a completely unlikeable character.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

The writers write the mom's character as if the only one she cares about and actually likes is Ana Kat. Why does she treat the others so badly? What did Greg and Katie see in each other in the first place, I'll never know. He is a good guy that is treated badly by his family. I'm sad for him, really. I hope the writers are careful in the coming episodes that they stay within a boundary that doesn't make the mom a completely unlikeable character.

The biggest problem is, the other characters are calling out more and more on Katie's behavior, even the kids. That's a problem because unless Katie is about to have a "come to Jesus" moment. This is not a good direction they are going with this season, Katie has been on everyone and Greg is being treated horrible by everyone. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Well since season 1 Anna Kat was always Katie's favorite and she was vocal about it too until Anna Kat asked her to stop. But that doesn't mean her feelings changed she just doesn't express it anymore.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Well since season 1 Anna Kat was always Katie's favorite and she was vocal about it too until Anna Kat asked her to stop. But that doesn't mean her feelings changed she just doesn't express it anymore.

Right and and you have seen that Katie wants Taylor to have a happy life, but she just can't get past how "stupid" Taylor acts at times. It also doesn't help that Taylor doesn't want to "put in the work" more than what is fast. Like with Oliver, that he wants the "get rich scheme" or keep holding on to the stupidity that he "wants his real rich family" to come get him. At his point in time, I say let Taylor sleep with Trip. Have Oliver just go on his own with these ideas and then if they are so screwed and want mom and dad to get them out of it just go: "oh, but you act like we can't do anything or we are not your 'real' parents. Good luck!"

What did Greg and Katie see in each other in the first place, I'll never know. He is a good guy that is treated badly by his family. 

Same as every other sitcom dad.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Same as every other sitcom dad.

Right and then when you have the sticom dad who does deserve it, everyone let's them get away with that particular behavior. look at Jim from According to Jim or Frank Reynolds who constantly made not only bad decisions, but constantly kept others in those bad decisions with the joke: "The best characters never learn anything." When they did things that would have gotten them fired or beat up and left for dead or you know... divorced. 

• Love 1
On 4/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, readster said:

One: If Katie would just try to "enjoy" other things, she would be a lot happier and would probably have more friends.

That's why I didn't like the reveal at the end, that both Angela and Doris hated hiking but only pretended in order to impress their new significant others. Would the world have ended if the two women had a legit activity or interest that Katie didn't share?

On 4/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, readster said:

Plus, I like how they don't want to be shown on Google Maps how they look in the morning, but hey if the neighbors see us, who cares. Umm... what?

Don't forget, when any people get caught on Google Maps, they blur out their faces. Obviously, if a male and female teenager were seen on the Otto lawn, people who knew them would assume it's Taylor and Oliver. But it's not like the whole world in general would know it's them on the internet.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

That's why I didn't like the reveal at the end, that both Angela and Doris hated hiking but only pretended in order to impress their new significant others. Would the world have ended if the two women had a legit activity or interest that Katie didn't share?

Exactly, it made the episode just a waste, because they don't even like hiking, they just did it. It should have been: "We don't like it, let's go do our own thing." But nope. Same with Oliver being so vain about being in mud when that would barely show up on Google Maps. Then he goes into just throwing mud at Taylor and vice versa. As I said before, if Oliver was that vain he would never have been out on the front lawn in that tshirt and slippers in the first place. Taylor, the way they write her, I'm surprised her underwear was on the outside of her pjs. One day she can't add 2+2 and the next she can apparently fix a car engine. Same with Trip, he still doesn't get that Auto and Otto can sound the same and be spelled differently. Yet, still believes that the family spells their last name "auto". Dumb leading dumb didn't do well with Haley and Dylan on Modern Family. Good to know that American Housewife things is "perfect" too. 

• Love 1