Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Biased

• Start Topic

And the wheels of American injustice keeps rolling on. And of course they got a black man spouting out MLK quotes as if things are gonna be okay after centuries of it not being okay. 

I loved Carter during this episode, I love the way he expressed himself.

Edited by mommalib
11 hours ago, mommalib said:

And the wheels of American injustice keeps rolling on. And of course they got a black man spouting out MLK quotes as if things are gonna be okay after centuries of it not being okay. 

I loved Carter during this episode, I love the way he expressed himself

So did I.

I thought this was an excellent episode. I like how everyone had a viewpoint and while you could argue that no one was explicitly racist, everyone still clearly had their. . .biases.

I appreciated the realistic clashes between the African-American characters and how they all expressed their feelings about the incident without cartoonishly overreacting.

• Love 3

I kind of feel the opposite about the episode. Yes, it was well acted, but to an extend, I felt like they were following the Hollywood script on that particular episode without giving any consideration to all of the other characters on the team. Pride and Sebastian are the only straight white guys on the team. The rest are minorities who likely have been discriminated against for both their ethnicity and gender (Hannah and Loretta) or their ethnicity and disability (Patton) or their sexual orientation and gender (Gregorio). And yet, Carter acted all righteous again and like he was the only one who knew what it was like to be discriminated against and the only one qualified to deal with the case anyway because everyone else was biased. Yes, Hannah pointed out that he wasn't the only one who knew what it was like but given the characters that they have I think there should have been a lot more of it and they could have used it as an opportunity to put him in his place. (I guess, what I'm saying is that I think they could have used this episode in a more creative way and taken a more creative approach especially since it felt pretty standard the way they did it. Like they just hit the procedural check-marks).

I also think that given Carter's general attitude, he shouldn't have been the one who was right. He, more than the rest of the team, had made up his mind before they had properly investigated and the fact that he was right and already thinks he's always right anyway doesn't really give him any reason to re-think his attitude. (And his attitude still infuriates me to no end. I really want to see him mess up soon. (Characters like him just evoke that kind of emotions in me 😉 )) I'd have preferred if maybe Loretta or Patton had had his role.

• Love 2

This episode was a beat for beat copy of every even remotely similar plot that has ever happened. A minority that has been discriminated against in the past has something horrible happen to them, all the characters act like political mouthpieces for the duration in ways few if any human beings would actually act, quoting statistics and sayings from great figures no human being would actually bring up, and at the end of it all we get is a bunch of meaningless quotes about how things will "get better" soon. Which since they've been doing plots like this for decades it clearly hasn't and probably won't, not in any real manner.

What would've been a real surprise would've been had Ali actually DID have a gun and the cop's shooting was 100% justified. It would've lead to a much less cliched plot.

• Love 1

You just gotta love the NOPD. They were like:

"OK people listen up! It's imperative that we find the gun that the guy was holding. Only that will clear our fellow officer's good name. I want you searching high and low in a ten block radius until that gun is found! Leave no stone unturned!!!"

"OK I hear you loud and clear. Say, I have a great idea! We could start by searching this storm drain that is right next to where the shooting victim fell."

"Are you kidding??? It’s all yucky and stuff down there. I mean I like the guy and all, but not THAT much."

• Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, 12catcrazy said:

the CBS Sunday night death slot.  

I thought Sunday was CBS' stronghold and has been so for ages.

It's usually Friday and Saturday nights that are the death slots for any network.

1 hour ago, Camille said:

I thought Sunday was CBS' stronghold and has been so for ages.

It's usually Friday and Saturday nights that are the death slots for any network.

Sunday at 8 is a good one.  9 is still okay. 10 is the "death slot" because of football overruns during football season. I don't think the Sunday shows started on time even once this past fall. Viewers are unlikely to watch a show that starts at around 10:30 and lasts an hour when they have to go to work the next morning. (I also read something about how many people have the resolve and still manage to go to bed on time on Sundays).

1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

Sunday at 8 is a good one.  9 is still okay. 10 is the "death slot" because of football overruns during football season. I don't think the Sunday shows started on time even once this past fall. Viewers are unlikely to watch a show that starts at around 10:30 and lasts an hour when they have to go to work the next morning. (I also read something about how many people have the resolve and still manage to go to bed on time on Sundays).

That's right. I'd forgotten about how much football messed everything up. I loved "Cold Case", but it was a pain in the neck having it always be delayed during football season.