Type keyword(s) to search

Bradley: Girl Without A Daddy

(edited)

So yes, after all that, it does seem somewhat selfish and manipulative that when she blows some guy's brains out, the kid she's virtually ignored and treated like she wants nothing to do with, is who she comes to asking for help, possibly asking him to implicate himself in her crime. It sort of belies the whole "she went to the one person she trusts so much and knew she could depend on" because again, where was all that trust when she was treating him like someone she wanted nothing to do with and wanted out of her life?

There are few things in life as uncomfortable as someone being in love with you when you wish to just be best friends. 

It would be easy to make Norman out to be terrible in what happened in season 1.  He knows Bradley has a boyfriend and he knows Bradley has just lost a father.  Yet he had sex with her and then decides she is his girlfriend.  I think if we want to magnify Bradley's understandable if misguided behavior, the same should be done for Norman.  Personally I would see it instead as two kids who saw their relationship on different wavelengths and to whom an act of connection meant different things.  Both acted out extreme responses after they make love.  However when Bradley runs after Norman that is an act guided out of a desire for friendship. 

There seems to be this desire to connect responsibility only to Bradley and excuse Norman.  However that consensual sex was a two way street and the notion that Bradley demonstrated selfish behavior should only be made if, in the same sentence, it is stated Norman did too.  Both wanted something at that moment. and both ignored other factors at that time.  It happens with most people let alone teens. 

Everytime Bradley was around Norman after she ran to him, he still seemed not quite there.  The sweet friendship was no longer emanating from him.  Bradley, just as with the viewers, would not be blind to this.  That is uncomfortable.  But that doesn't mean she wanted Norman out of her life.  Bradley no longer knew how to be a friend to Norman without feeling he wanted more than she could give.  That happens.  But when she was at her most vulnerable, she did see him as the one person she could trust and had some deep rooted connection to - she once slept with him for that very reason.  That did not change.   

Norman and Bradley had a dysfunctional friendship that ended in tragedy.  But both cared deeply for each other and that is why, in the end, this was so devastating.  Because when it came down to it, Bradley connected more with Norman than anyone else and when it came down to it Norman really loved Bradley.  That dynamic is one of the best things this show ever did and it is a shame it becomes a Bradley is an annoying girl because she wouldn't be with poor Norman's boyfriend.  It is reductive to view their friendship in those terms just as it is reductive to think Bradley had no reason to feel uncomfortable with Norman's reaction after they made love or to think Norman is wrong not to be hurt when he realizes Bradley does not want him as a boyfriend. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yes, she turned to Norman instead of her boyfriend when she was in despair over her Dad's death.  As with many people, she turned to the person she had come to see as most caring about her instead of her boyfriend in a time of grief.  The problem ended up being that while Bradley cares for Norman and sees him as a good friend, she ultimately does not see him as a lover.  The problem that soon became apparent is Bradley and Norman weren't on the same wavelength.  Norman's jump to this is my girlfriend differed from Bradley's perspective.  Neither was wrong here.  It happens.  However, as often happens when these lines are blurred, the dynamic of the friendship was upended by it.  If Bradley was not cognizant of Norman's feelings and did not want to remain friends, she would not have run after him.  However there was an unmistakable tension there from Norman and, as with pretty much anyone would have been in her position, Bradley was left uncomfortable.

When Bradley went to Norman, after killing someone, it was because, when it comes down to it, she trusted Norman.  When placed in traumatic situations, she wanted that close friend near here.  In that episode, there was no ignoring of her by Dylan.  She went to Norman because, when it came down to it, she felt that Norman was the only one who could comprehend her and where she was at.  What becomes unsettling to me is the notion that if a woman does not fulfill the male's desires, the woman is somehow mean or cruel.  That by Bradley not wanting Norman to be her boyfriend somehow cancels out that she could go to him when she is in big trouble.   

Norman didn't know Bradley had a BF when he slept with her. He found out after. We also don't know if she turned to Norman instead of her BF. We never see her with her BF and we don't know what happened with them or how they dealt with her fathers death together since neither are POV characters.

She had been ignored by Dylan for all of season 2 until Dylan got dragged back into it by Norman. We know this because Bradley called Dylan out for ignoring all her emails to him. If she really cared about Norman she wouldn't be going after his older brother. Didn't she even stop by the Bates house asking for Dylan? Thats not what someone who is uncomfortable with someone being in love with them would do.

Bradley could have went after Norman when he showed up at her house because she is not completely terrible and maybe just wanted to see if he was ok. She made it pretty clear after they slept together that she did not want a friendship with him. Even before Norman confronted her at her house she ignored all his texts. She wasn't even ignoring clingy texts, she was ignoring texts like "hey how are " (or something like that). That doesn't sound like someone who has "desire for friendship". At that point Norman hadn't even done or said anything that would suggest to Bradley that he was in love with her. She was just ignoring friendly text messages BEFORE she knew how Norman felt.

Remember season 2 when Norman visited Bradley in the hospital? He said he would always be there for her and do anything for her (or something close to that). Bradley was downright cold and kinda mean to him if i remember correctly. The next time they saw each other was when she came to him for help. She even said something like "did you mean what you said when you said you would do anything for me". Then she asked him to help cover her murder up. This didn't seem like she wanted her close friend with her. It seemed like she was using his obsession with her to help cover murder. She had ignored him and was downright cold to him at times ever since they slept together, but now that she is in trouble she goes to him because his obsession with her means he wont turn her in.

I have no doubt that after Norman went out of his way to help her she grew to care about him. Before that i just don't see it though

There are few things in life as uncomfortable as someone being in love with you when you wish to just be best friends. 

It would be easy to make Norman out to be terrible in what happened in season 1.  He knows Bradley has a boyfriend and he knows Bradley has just lost a father.  Yet he had sex with her and then decides she is his girlfriend.  I think if we want to magnify Bradley's understandable if misguided behavior, the same should be done for Norman.  Personally I would see it instead as two kids who saw their relationship on different wavelengths and to whom an act of connection meant different things.  Both acted out extreme responses after they make love.  However when Bradley runs after Norman that is an act guided out of a desire for friendship. 

There seems to be this desire to connect responsibility only to Bradley and excuse Norman.  However that consensual sex was a two way street and the notion that Bradley demonstrated selfish behavior should only be made if, in the same sentence, it is stated Norman did too.  Both wanted something at that moment. and both ignored other factors at that time.  It happens with most people let alone teens. 

Everytime Bradley was around Norman after she ran to him, he still seemed not quite there.  The sweet friendship was no longer emanating from him.  Bradley, just as with the viewers, would not be blind to this.  That is uncomfortable.  But that doesn't mean she wanted Norman out of her life.  Bradley no longer knew how to be a friend to Norman without feeling he wanted more than she could give.  That happens.  But when she was at her most vulnerable, she did see him as the one person she could trust and had some deep rooted connection to - she once slept with him for that very reason.  That did not change.   

Norman and Bradley had a dysfunctional friendship that ended in tragedy.  But both cared deeply for each other and that is why, in the end, this was so devastating.  Because when it came down to it, Bradley connected more with Norman than anyone else and when it came down to it Norman really loved Bradley.  That dynamic is one of the best things this show ever did and it is a shame it becomes a Bradley is an annoying girl because she wouldn't be with poor Norman's boyfriend.  It is reductive to view their friendship in those terms just as it is reductive to think Bradley had no reason to feel uncomfortable with Norman's reaction after they made love or to think Norman is wrong not to be hurt when he realizes Bradley does not want him as a boyfriend. 

If she just wanted to be best friends she never would have gone after Normans older brother. Nothing indicates she wanted a friendship or any sort of relationship with Norman after they slept together. Even before she knew how he felt it looked like she was done with him

Edited by J----av
  • Love 3
(edited)

J----av, Bradley's boyfriend Richard appears in the first episode and is the one who interrupts Bradley and Norman at the party.  In the 2nd episode, he is at the hospital.  So yes Norman knows Bradley has a boyfriend before he sleeps with her.  If he somehow doesn't think Richard is her boyfriend then chalk it up to deep, purposeful delusion which does not negate responsibility.   

Neither Bradley nor Emma should be expected to not take any interest in Dylan when they have no romance with Norman.  It is unfair to expect women to be obligated to date a man because he likes them. It is unfair to expect someone to reject romantic interest because the person they are attracted to has a sibling who is interested in you. 

If Bradley did not care about Norman, she would not have ran after him that night.  I comprehend the desire to simplify Bradley's behavior into cruel, calculating jerk to poor, wounded Norman.  But it seems to distort and simplify something true and poignant the show writers did. 

Edited by dohe
On 3/8/2015 at 4:33 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Bradley really went against the trope that girls with boyish names are supposed to be cool, hot tom-boys. What a useless character. Thank god Nicola Peltz is the new of the Transformers movies.

As a girl carrying her father's name, I have ALWAYS hated that people do that.  Think about your children, people!  Don't give them names they will have to grieve over.  Life is hard enough without having to carry a gender inappropriate name like a boat anchor around your neck.

It's not cute to name your daughter Max or Earl or Spike.  You wouldn't name your son Emily, after all.

***Steps off soapbox, picks it up to carry with her muttering angrily to herself the whole time.  Drops box (she is clumsy), but picks it back up and stomps off to perform next rant.  Tickets available****

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, smorbie said:

***Steps off soapbox, picks it up to carry with her muttering angrily to herself the whole time.  Drops box (she is clumsy), but picks it back up and stomps off to perform next rant.  Tickets available****

LOL!! I think you've channeled your inner Norma. ?

• Love 1
Just now, smorbie said:

oh, SCREW OFF!  (lol.  Seriously.  Hope I didn't hurt your feelings)

How are finding the actual emojis on this site?  Are you a computer hacker, or something?

Oh, you could never hurt my feelings. I will love you forever.... ?

Emojis are from my computer. It's a Mac. It has a little popup with all the possible letters/emojis available, and I just have to click on one (it's in my favorites). I also have shortcuts to some (so typing : and ) together gives me ? automatically). Um... well... I did some computer programming in my younger years so that kinda helps a little.

• Love 1

I think it's because you have a wonderful Mac instead of stupid, idiotic windows 10.

uh oh, I feel another rant coming on.....I better go.... :)  (see, that's the best I can do.  just saying)

• Love 1

I always thought Bradley's story was over-the-top with the whole fake suicide and everything, but the first two seasons of Bates Motel were more Twin Peaks than Psycho and the stylized melodrama of her story arc fit right in.

20 hours ago, smorbie said:

As a girl carrying her father's name, I have ALWAYS hated that people do that.  Think about your children, people!  Don't give them names they will have to grieve over.  Life is hard enough without having to carry a gender inappropriate name like a boat anchor around your neck.

It's not cute to name your daughter Max or Earl or Spike.  You wouldn't name your son Emily, after all.

I like max for a girl. Earl and spike are not appropriate but nothing wrong with names like Bradley or other kind of gender neutral names in my opinion. 

I know a couple with a girl named Max.  Not for me, that's about as masculine a name as it gets.  Morgan...ugh.  People started naming their daughters Morgan in the 80s because of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  "And here we are poolside with Morgan Brittany and Morgan Fairchild!"  You might as well name your kid Rockefeller.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Stringey said:

I like max for a girl. Earl and spike are not appropriate but nothing wrong with names like Bradley or other kind of gender neutral names in my opinion. 

Neither Max nor Bradley are gender neutral.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as someone who has lived it, mine is that it's just awful to do that to a child.

1 hour ago, Dobian said:

I know a couple with a girl named Max.  Not for me, that's about as masculine a name as it gets.  Morgan...ugh.  People started naming their daughters Morgan in the 80s because of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.  "And here we are poolside with Morgan Brittany and Morgan Fairchild!"  You might as well name your kid Rockefeller.

Really it is awful.  Your child is a human being and has to carry that name until he dies.  Give her (It never seems to be him) a name she won't be embarrassed to have.  When I was a little girl, someone called the house asking to speak with my father.  My sister called me to the phone and the family thought it was so funny.  To this day my cousins laugh about it.  Kids in school made fun of me for having a boys name. My teachers would always say something like, "Oh, when I saw your name I thought you were a boy".  I had a friend whose parents were similarly cruel, um, thoughtless in naming their child.  She got put in a boys dorm in summer camp and was actually sent a draft notice.

When you have a child it isn't about you anymore.  It's about that child.  It's not cute to give a child a name that will stick out and cause her to be laughed at.  It  really isn't.  Even today as an adult, I hate to tell people my name.  And that's kind of sad when you think about it.

Sorry for the rant.

11 hours ago, smorbie said:

Neither Max nor Bradley are gender neutral.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as someone who has lived it, mine is that it's just awful to do that to a child.

Sorry I guess in am just bias because in would not mind having one of those kind of names. I am a tomboy and if i was named Maxine I would want people to call me max. Or if my name was Samantha my nickname would be Sam. 

Having not had to carry one of those names, your opinion is just supposition.  On the other hand, I speak from cold, PAINFUL experience.

It is a cruel thing to do to a child.

19 hours ago, Dobian said:

I always thought Bradley's story was over-the-top with the whole fake suicide and everything, but the first two seasons of Bates Motel were more Twin Peaks than Psycho and the stylized melodrama of her story arc fit right in.

I was just glad to see her leave.  I didn't care whether it was fake suicide or the next bus to Nowheresville.  I just didn't like that girl.  Mother was right about her.

On 2017-4-27 at 7:18 PM, smorbie said:

Really it is awful.  Your child is a human being and has to carry that name until he dies.  Give her (It never seems to be him) a name she won't be embarrassed to have.  When I was a little girl, someone called the house asking to speak with my father.  My sister called me to the phone and the family thought it was so funny.  To this day my cousins laugh about it.  Kids in school made fun of me for having a boys name. My teachers would always say something like, "Oh, when I saw your name I thought you were a boy".  I had a friend whose parents were similarly cruel, um, thoughtless in naming their child.  She got put in a boys dorm in summer camp and was actually sent a draft notice.

When you have a child it isn't about you anymore.  It's about that child.  It's not cute to give a child a name that will stick out and cause her to be laughed at.  It  really isn't.  Even today as an adult, I hate to tell people my name.  And that's kind of sad when you think about it.

Sorry for the rant.

I was never bullied for having a boy's name and I wouldn't change it for anything.  I love my name and I don't understand why people are making sweeping statements about how a child will be treated with a masculine name.

• Love 1

Usually in TV shows, I don't like characters like Bradley. When I first watched the show and first saw her, I thought of her as someone looking for a good time more than anything else. Surprisingly, she turned out to have more depth than her friends, which is what I think softened me on her. When Norman came to her house to tell her his feelings for her, she knew she wasn't going to be able to reciprocate those feelings because at the time, she didn't feel the same way. So she tried to stop Norman and tell him before he was done with his speech, which also made her more likable to me. 

Of course, the tragic part is, Norman's illness escalated while Bradley was out of town and Bradley came back unaware of that until it was too late.