Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The Final Joke

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

"Where's my goddamn electric car Bruce?!" Ok, that line had me in stitches. 

This season was very good. I'm excited we only have to wait, like six weeks for Season 2! That's awesome. Shows should figure out how to do that more often, lol.

Apparently we're getting Catwoman and Batgirl next season, so that's cool. One of my favorite parts of the show is seeing all the various DC heroes/villains show up and how they do them. I know the show's about Harley but I kinda wish it was called "Gotham City" or "DC World" or something, just so we could get more of the other characters coming in and out. Harley's not even my favorite character on this, it's Ivy. And maybe Kite Man. I'd be cool with a big rotating ensemble with episodes centered on a different character every week, but familiar supporting ones there.

Because really, part of the fun is knowing these characters already and they assume we do, so the jokes play on their known characteristics. They could do that with ALL of them.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

And... how will Joker handle knowing but not wanting to know the identity of Batman?

If Joker is still alive, will he remember anything? That acid was supposed to brain-wipe...

I'd rather they hadn't done the Ivy fake-out, since 

a. It didn't fool anyone anyway, and

b. It took my favorite character out of a good chunk of the episode.

If they just wanted her sidelined so Joker could go a little bit longer without getting his ass kicked, they could probably have done it in a slightly less ham-handed way.

Joker losing his memory solves the Bruce problem, but I don't want him to lose his personality. Maybe the personality doesn't really require memory of his past? That could be their nod to the "multiple choice origin" trope.

I was gonna give this series one more re-watch and then cancel until it came back for season 2, but if it's gonna be that short a time period then I probably won't bother with a one month cancellation.

5 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Joker losing his memory solves the Bruce problem, but I don't want him to lose his personality. Maybe the personality doesn't really require memory of his past? That could be their nod to the "multiple choice origin" trope.

If the L.O.D. is gone, nobody can give him guidance to use his narcissistic talent...he might try acting as a hero to rebuild Gotham...

Do we know the Riddler backstory? He had his own lair, separate from LOD.

Interesting point. I mean, I'm sure lots of them have their own lair. We certainly saw Joker's a few times.

But, was it actually established that Riddler was an LOD member?

I assume he is. I mean, there has to be some kind of legal team keeping a hideout that obvious from getting busted immediately. You'd think locating his secret lair should be a bit more Dan Brownian.

If Joker does lose his memory, even for a short amount of time, I have to say I can very easily see Harley attempting to "reshape" him or something, and thinking she now has another chance to make him different. 

I know the season was about her coming to terms with finally getting over him for real, but one of the things I actually liked about the show was the way it seemed to acknowledge (in its own way) that victims of these kinds of abusive relationships are constantly backsliding and most of the time it takes years of failed attempts and relapses, etc. before finally, actually moving on (and some never do). It's kind of like fighting an addiction- you're always a "recovering addict," never a former one.

So I could easily see another episode of her jumping at the chance to "redo" him if she finds out his memory is gone. 

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ruby24 said:

If Joker does lose his memory, even for a short amount of time, I have to say I can very easily see Harley attempting to "reshape" him or something, and thinking she now has another chance to make him different. 

Amnesiac Joker: Hey, why do I have a necklace of shark teeth?

Harley [one hand shushing motion at King Shark]: You won them at the Bruce Wayne Carnival

• Love 1
(edited)

And in the category of pandemic tv watching I just finished the first season on Harley Quinn.  I had heard about the show when it first came out and it sounded interesting but I am completely burnt out on Marvel/DC superhero shows so I didn't really think too much about this.  But needed something to watch and I thought this was fun, clever, with a lot of referential humor.   If anything it is the off kilter humor that makes this worth watching for me.  Plus the Ivy/Harley  friendship was really fun.  Both burnt out anti social personalities looking for someone to just connect with.   I also really like the episodes that dug into Harley's psyche and what turned a talented young psychiatrist into a psychopath.   Loved the idea that she was always a little off her rocker with no parental guidance and a mean streak.    Joker didn't make her he just gave her the opportunity to jump full force into her dark side.  

Also loved the weird Gordon/Batman/Joker thing that was happening.   Batman and Joker always did seem like they were in a weird romance and Gordon plays out like he is some jilted ex looking for Batman to just give him some attention.  I thought that was fun. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5