Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Lose It All

• Start Topic

Bette is conflicted about old feelings; Shane is tested by her relationship with Quiara; Alice gets blindsided at home and work; with Dani busy with the election, Sophie feels relieved to have Finley around; Micah introduces José to his mother.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 1/19/20

Micah remains frustratingly underwritten. It was interesting showing how pissed off he was at his mother for showing his baby pictures. While his mom was wrong to do so, and while it sounds like this has been a pattern with her, it would still have been fascinating for the show to have given her the chance to talk to Micah about her feelings about how, from her point of view, her "baby girl" has indeed died. (And you know Rosalind Chao would have killed such a scene!). That kind of mother-son conversation would have given Micah more depth.

By comparison, on Work in Progress -- the show that follows L Word, which has had an excellent first season -- the main character Abby has been

Spoiler

dealing with accidentally learning the dead name of her new boyfriend, who is a trans man, and this has been the main conflict of the season's final three episodes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I know it sucks when your partner is preoccupied with work while she's at home, but there are days like that, especially when she's in the middle of a huge work crisis. And to be fair, Dani offered to cancel everything and go with Sophie as soon as she heard that her grandmother fell and Sophie said no and ran out the door.

It is not fair to get mad at someone for taking you at your word and doing what you asked. Sophie is the one who said she would call Dani if she needed her to come, so I rolled my eyes so hard when Sophie complained that Dani didn't come to the hospital. "She should know me better" is not a valid excuse. As Finley said, you have to ask for what you want. Don't blame other people if they literally do what you told them to do. If someone does the opposite of what you tell them to do, THAT is what is inappropriate. But in this case, Sophie is the one who fucked up. If she wanted Dani to come to the hospital at any point, she could have just said so. Instead she told Dani not to come and then pouted because Dani did exactly what she asked. Grow the fuck up, Sophie.

Poor Shane. There's no reason to feel guilty if you don't start crying at an ultrasound. Not everyone does and that's okay. Related anecdote: when I went wedding dress shopping, I thought I would know I'd found the perfect dress when I looked in the mirror and started crying (or when my mom started crying). Why? Because I watched too many fucking episodes of Say Yes to the Dress. It never happened, despite the fact that I tried on over 20 dresses on my first day and then went to three more places. When I found the right dress, I knew I loved it but it did not trigger my tear ducts. Considering the fact that I cry at EVERYTHING, I was like wait, is this not the dress if I'm not crying? Should I try on some more dresses until I'm a snotty mess? But the things that make other people cry don't make everyone cry and that's fine.

Ugh, please let this be the definitive end of the throuple because I'm so tired of this storyline. While I appreciate that Nat and Gigi clearly meant that "us" and "we" included Alice, I think Alice's instinct is probably correct - she isn't needed in that relationship anymore. Unfortunately, I think that Alice's reaction was based more on her jealous and insecurity than logic though.

I totally understand Micah's frustration with his mom. Even if you take away the actual issue (continuing to refer to childhood Micah as "she"), it's SO difficult to deal with a parent when they do the same offensive thing every single time you see them. But the actual issue of what his mom is doing makes it that much worse. I wasn't really sold on José until this episode. I liked how he calmed Micah down and reassured him that he sees him.

Heh, Sophie's reaction to Micah's mom going straight to the pot shop was me. I wish my mom would try some gummies and chill out a little!

• Love 2

I see it didn't take long for the show to dust off Bette's old cry smile from the original series. Props to Jennifer for her acting when she finds out Tina is engaged to Carrie, and wants the three of them to talk to Angie. The news caused Bette to mix white wine into her red wine, so you know Bette's heartbroken. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

To be fair, some places sell gummies that have only 5mg. Another possibility is that she bought gummies that have only CBD (no THC).

Well yeah, but then towards the end we see Micah and his bae each have 1. I'd assume that they are regular consumers and his mum isn't. But anyway. 

A lot of stuff in this show is kinda odd. How does Bette have the time to do lunches, brunches and dinners all over town, just to hang with the gang? She's running a campaign. 

• Love 3

How on earth did Alice not see this coming?! Both the throuple and the work situation. 

As to the throuple, I’d have preferred it to end up Alice & Gigi. Nat is annoying.

And work? When TPTB put a new person in place and keep deferring to him, you aren’t gonna win in a showdown. Subtlety (unfortunately not Alice’s strong point) and subversion would work better.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, merrick715 said:

I see it didn't take long for the show to dust off Bette's old cry smile from the original series. Props to Jennifer for her acting when she finds out Tina is engaged to Carrie, and wants the three of them to talk to Angie. The news caused Bette to mix white wine into her red wine, so you know Bette's heartbroken. 

Tina noticed that right away but the editor did not.  When they showed Bette from Tina’s perspective Bette’s wine glass was back to being solid red!

• Love 1
On 1/19/2020 at 8:30 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Poor Shane. There's no reason to feel guilty if you don't start crying at an ultrasound.

I think it's more than that for Shane.  I don't think she wants to be a mom.  She was unmoved by the heartbeat, but it's because she doesn't really want a baby and she KNOWS it, deep down.  When Shane was so miserable and upset that she "doesn't know what she's doing" when she was going over the books for the bar, she herself realized it wasn't about the bar but about the baby.  Her impulsive agreement to be a mom is what is making her miserable at this point.  She feels guilty because she knows she doesn't want this but her ex does.

7 hours ago, hurrrz said:

Well yeah, but then towards the end we see Micah and his bae each have 1. I'd assume that they are regular consumers and his mum isn't. But anyway. 

Well, beggars can’t be choosers when it comes to getting free leftover gummies from someone’s mom. 

• LOL 1

Well, the Bette and Tina exhilaration was short-lived. Now that they've been renewed for S2, I can only hope that Carrie is fodder for yet another grand reunion. I don't care that they've done it 3, 4, 5 times. I want it again.

I'm glad that the thruple thing is overwith, but I hope that the characters of Nat and Gigi stick around. I like both of them.

Shane shouldn't let herself be talked into a baby. It will end badly for ALL of them if she realizes she just can't do it.

Finley and Sophie have anti-chemistry. Also, I agree that this hospital thing was on Sophie. Dani made it clear that she'd drop everything and go with Sophie, but Sophie said no. She can't be mad at Dani for that.

Can't believe next week is the season finale. So glad the show is back. :)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, asabovesobelow said:

Finley and Sophie have anti-chemistry. Also, I agree that this hospital thing was on Sophie. Dani made it clear that she'd drop everything and go with Sophie, but Sophie said no. She can't be mad at Dani for that.

Sophie actually wanted Dani to drop everything even though she told her not to.  That is called a "shit test."  Sophie set Dani up to fail unless she "knew" to do the opposite of what Sophie was telling her and go to the hospital anyway.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, asabovesobelow said:

Shane shouldn't let herself be talked into a baby. It will end badly for ALL of them if she realizes she just can't do it.

ITA. It's okay to be female and not want to have kids. No one should try to convince you otherwise. You can love kids and be good with kids and still not want to have kids. I think it's great when people want to have kids, but I hate that it's assumed if you are a woman, eventually you will realize that it's what you've always wanted. And unfortunately on tv shows and in movies, whenever a woman say she doesn't want to have kids that's what always happens - she changes her mind and then she's so fulfilled and she's the happiest mommy ever!

As much as Shane loves Quiara, she shouldn't give in to having a kid just so she can be with Quiara. Honestly, Quiara put Shane in a shitty position. She knew Shane didn't want kids but she served her with divorce papers and then showed up pregnant so now Shane's choice is to walk away from someone she loves or become a mom (or mom-adjacent but let's be real - will Shane just live at her own place and only see Quiara when she hires a babysitter?).

• Love 5
5 hours ago, asabovesobelow said:

Well, the Bette and Tina exhilaration was short-lived. Now that they've been renewed for S2, I can only hope that Carrie is fodder for yet another grand reunion. I don't care that they've done it 3, 4, 5 times. I want it again.

Cosign. Maybe this time around we'll actually get to see Bette and Tina get (re)married. That would be huge and great for fans of the couple and the original series. 

I think it's great that Laurel agreed to come back and the show was able to squeeze her in and work around her very busy art career. It means something. And I appreciate both her and Jennifer's dedication and commitment to Tibette and their characters story arc. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1

Sophie and Dani are just so wrong for each other, I can't imagine how they even found their way into a relationship.  They seem to have nothing in common, and totally different expectations of each other.  Enter Findley- who will surely be a fling for Sophie, which I predict will end with them mutually deciding they are better in the friend zone.  

And on a personal note-- Ewww, does Findley only shower when deodorant isn't enough to neutralize her BO? ...Gurl pleeeease- wash those pits & lady parts,

• Love 2