Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: One of Them Nights

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Dillon is mad that Spencer hasn’t been around, so Spencer tries to make it up to him by having him help sell tickets for Coop’s show, but they find themselves confronted by the police instead. Elsewhere, Coop is shook when faced with Tyrone, but luckily she knows Preach is in her corner. Billy tries to force Jordan and Olivia to hang out with him and make memories, but all doesn’t go to plan, giving Olivia an idea on reporting injustices. Meanwhile, Layla bonds with a new friend who understands what she is going through, but she realizes that Spencer and Olivia are there for her, too.

Airdate: 01/20/2020

Didn't they establish back in season 1 that Preach would NOT testify about Tyrone shooting him, thus making it necessary for Coop to get the recorded confession from Tyrone?  Yet now Tyrone is free because they needed Preach to testify (which if that were the case, why did they even make Coop go through all that?), and Spencer and Coop seem surprised that he wouldn't?  This storyline has gotten very annoying, including Tyrone just happening to be there to overhear that Preach won't protect Coop anymore.  He could have found that out on the street later, but then he couldn't have just skulked around being creepy like he was for most of the episode.  I know Coop is young, but they tried to portray her as being smart and ahead of people in season 1, and now she just keeps getting taken.

I'm glad that Layla was fine with Olivia seeing Asher.  I'm guessing her friend from the treatment center will probably show up sometime later and cause issues or something.  Layla will also probably find out that Spencer slept with Kia, and maybe act like it's fine because they're not dating, even though of course it would be hard for it not to bother her.

I know it was a throwaway, but J.J. is a church youth leader?!  This reminds me of sometime last season when I joked that they were going to try to give him a back story showing what a deep person he really is.  Hopefully not!  Billy was funny with his dancing and stuff to provide levity in an otherwise heavy episode.  I also loved his takedown of the cops harassing Spencer.  I checked IMDb to make sure I got Kia's name right (because I know they even made a point of her not wanting to be known as "Spencer's ex"), and the horrible yogurt woman really is credited as "Crenshaw Cathy" in the credits.  That cracked me up.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added a couple sentences.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Crenshaw Cathy lol. I love Asher and Olivia. 

Why did they have to go there with Spencer and his ex? There is no need for drama concerning Spencer and Layla. I’m glad she did well in rehab.

Billy dancing and mortifying Jordan was hilarious. I feel really bad for Coop- she can’t catch a break.

• Love 3

I can totally see Billy wearing Hammer pants and a Gumby haircut! When Skee-Lo’s ‘I Wish’ started playing at the skating rink I fell out!

That situation with Crenshaw Cathy made my blood boil. Olivia’s podcast sounds like a good idea; hopefully the show won’t forget about it. 

Poor Coop! Will she ever catch a break?

• Love 3
On 1/21/2020 at 6:52 AM, KWalkerInc said:

Didn't they establish back in season 1 that Preach would NOT testify about Tyrone shooting him, thus making it necessary for Coop to get the recorded confession from Tyrone?  Yet now Tyrone is free because they needed Preach to testify (which if that were the case, why did they even make Coop go through all that?), and Spencer and Coop seem surprised that he wouldn't?  This storyline has gotten very annoying, including Tyrone just happening to be there to overhear that Preach won't protect Coop anymore.  He could have found that out on the street later, but then he couldn't have just skulked around being creepy like he was for most of the episode.  I know Coop is young, but they tried to portray her as being smart and ahead of people in season 1, and now she just keeps getting taken.

I'm so with you on this. The Tyrone storyline has dragged on too long. And the plotholes with it are giving me a headache. Preach definitely said he would not testify, that's why Coop did the recording. I mean Tyrone confessed. That should have been enough to at least lock him up for longer than what, 8 episodes or so? Also the storyline is tired, it's not even interesting anymore. I'm ready for them to move past Tyrone and focus on Coop/Patience and Coop and her music. They can still throw in some street drama, but make it new, not the same old tired song they are playing with Tyrone.

• Love 4
On 1/21/2020 at 4:30 PM, twoods said:

Crenshaw Cathy lol. I love Asher and Olivia. 

Why did they have to go there with Spencer and his ex? There is no need for drama concerning Spencer and Layla. I’m glad she did well in rehab.

Billy dancing and mortifying Jordan was hilarious. I feel really bad for Coop- she can’t catch a break.

But didn’t Layla and Spencer break up? Or are they just taking a break because Iof Layla? 

I still don’t understand why Spencer quit football. I don’t buy that it was because of Cory. Yes they were rebuilding their relationship, but Cory was out of Spencer’s life more than he was in it. And Spencer became great at football without his dad. So why is he now associating Spencer with football? 

And I’m glad to see Olivia getting some happiness. It seems she’s always worried about worrying about others’ happiness and taking care of them. So it’s nice that she’s having her own minute. 

And, yeah. Poor Coop. 

• Love 1

They did break up but I’m worried they will make it a thing that she finds out about Spencer and his ex and this affects her recovery. I hope I’m wrong and she just brushes it off because they broke up, but she did mention that she was afraid that she wasn’t good enough for the people around her. 

• Love 1