Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Balloon

PWHCHCH
  • Start Topic

Season finale. After Jericho’s baptism, uninvited guests force difficult decisions.

This episode left us with more questions that need answering. 

I wonder who the person in the hazmat suit was in the flashback. Does anyone else think it’s slightly unethical to unknowingly feed guests placenta? And the young  couple helping with the tv and questioning how Sean and Dorothy could afford such a nice  house seem iffy to me. Wonder if they were part of the cult. 

There's something to be said for taking a slower pace to storytelling. Thanks to Servant, I've learned that I can tolerate glacial storytelling for two hours or so, but not for 10 painstaking episodes. 

Also, I'd like to say I can't believe Sean served a bunch of unknowing people placenta, but he's such a pretentious prick about food that it's pretty on brand for him.

Poor Tobe, though. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Damn! I knew the series would have an unsatisfying, WTF ending. I hoped against hope it wouldn’t but knew it would. I’m canceling Apple+ now. 🤬

It's renewed for a second season already, you might get answers next year!

On 1/17/2020 at 2:46 AM, GSManiac said:

This episode left us with more questions that need answering. 

I wonder who the person in the hazmat suit was in the flashback. Does anyone else think it’s slightly unethical to unknowingly feed guests placenta? And the young  couple helping with the tv and questioning how Sean and Dorothy could afford such a nice  house seem iffy to me. Wonder if they were part of the cult. 

Right, was it the police or someone the family called in discreetly? Dorothy is remembering what happened, when they found (original) Jericho but it leaves us asking does it mean they reported his death after all, or did rich Daddy have someone come in quietly to take Jericho away? Jeez, Dorothy, can’t you have clearer memory recall! 

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 1
On 1/17/2020 at 8:29 PM, LittleIggy said:

Damn! I knew the series would have an unsatisfying, WTF ending. I hoped against hope it wouldn’t but knew it would. I’m canceling Apple+ now. 🤬

Once I heard that the same characters would be returning next season, I figured we wouldn’t get much of a tie-up in the finale and didn’t mind it. It could go two ways. Next season could start with Dorothy remembering what happened and focus on the aftermath. Or she may continue in denial and wonder who stole her baby and replaced it with a doll, probably accusing Leanne since she left. We shall see. I’m just glad Julian will be back. Rupert Grint was brilliant in the role. And let’s hope Sean cooks more appetizing meals next season. No more eels or lobster ice cream. Or placenta!

• Love 2
On 1/17/2020 at 2:46 AM, GSManiac said:

Does anyone else think it’s slightly unethical to unknowingly feed guests placenta?

10 hours ago, jmonique said:

I can't believe Sean served a bunch of unknowing people placenta,

I’m going to eye any croquembouche I come across from now on very suspiciously indeed. I had to chuckle at the snippy blonde making a pig of herself taking seconds (and thirds?).

“What’s in this?”

“It’s a family recipe.” lol

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, skotnikov said:

It's renewed for a second season already, you might get answers next year!

I hope so! I hate waiting though!

Was the woman asking how Dorothy and Sean could afford that house the reporter who stepped in when Dorothy was sick and dived off the diving board?

20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I hope so! I hate waiting though!

Was the woman asking how Dorothy and Sean could afford that house the reporter who stepped in when Dorothy was sick and dived off the diving board?

Yes, that was her fellow reporter.

• Love 2

The finale gave me just enough information to frustrate me into a small rage.  I wanted to know more about how Jericho’s body had been dealt with.  Was it handled officially after all? Did the husband get his sense of taste and feeling back when LeeAnn left and the doll was back? Why did the splinters stop a couple of episodes back? Was she giving his senses to the “new” Jericho? 

Why had the “uncle” slept in the crib during his last visit? Why did the whole cult show up to retrieve LeeAnn? Is she who the cult worships, but she got sick of them and went looking for Dorothy who had been professionally nice to her once,  more than a decade prior? 

How would LeeAnn have known Dorothy was looking for a live in nanny? It’s not like she would put an ad out with her name on it. How did LeeAnn know to bring Jodeco back to life but did not know the circumstances of his death? Why did the cricket and the dog come back to life presumably for good, but the baby was back and forth between alive and doll throughout the season?

Why wouldn’t Dorothy have called the assistant chef to come do something with the giant slab of ham so it wouldn’t just rot on the kitchen table? Why wasn’t Dorothy admitted into a mental health facility for an extended period of time after the baby died instead of handed a doll to help her live in pretentious denial?

What was the reason for feeding the guests her placenta? If the little girl wandered into the party by mistake, who called the police to give them Dorothy’s name and address for the Amber Alert without saying a word about it to Dorothy? 

I mean,  AAAUUUUGGGGHGGGHHH! I feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy pulled the football away at the last second.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I love all your questions, @Irritable. I think the ridiculousness to which they all point is tied up with an overarching problem, which stands out in relief by comparison to a show I'm currently watching, The Outsider.

To cut to the chase, from the first episode of Servant, I hated all these people. (Julian maybe a tad less than the others.) They felt like stereotypes almost designed to make me hate them. The show trafficked in social criticism of the shallow rich, which can be done well (see Parasite, Succession) but here deprived the characters of any reality. That's a real problem when creepy supernatural stuff starts to happen, because you basically don't give a rat's ass what happens to these people. They could all go to hell as far as I was concerned, and the quicker the better.

The Outsider, by way of contrast, creates characters with enough specificity that I actually want to them to be OK. So when supernatural bad stuff starts happening, I fear for them.

• Love 6