Type keyword(s) to search

Oh no, they didn't!: Endeavour-Morse-Lewis Continuity

Lady Matilda's College mentioned in Endeavour (most recently "Nocturne") becomes co-ed in Lewis ("Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things").

Free Masonry: mentioned by Lewis in "Whom the Gods may destroy" :

Innocent: You do scrub up well, Inspector.

Lewis: Oh, this penguin suit's been to far too many Masonic dinners - the trouser leg keeps rolling up of its own accord.

• Love 1

Yes, I noticed that too. It's like Morse rubbed off on him. With Endeavour around, I wonder if they'll tie some of its characters into Lewis.

• Love 1

Yes, I noticed that too. It's like Morse rubbed off on him. With Endeavour around, I wonder if they'll tie some of its characters into Lewis.

Yep :P. And it's cute XD. Good point, maybe they will.

I miss Morse sometimes though :(. Man was cool.

WETA UK is really good about showing Morse episodes - we get them every Wednesday night plus the Baltimore station shows them also.  I recorded Remorseful but haven't rewatched it yet - except for the final heartbreaking goodbye from Lewis. 

(edited)

The Morse-verse crashed on WETA UK last night: Inspector Morse episode Twilight of the Gods and the Endeavour premiere. So in Twilight, Morse investigates the shooting of an opera singer. At the end, he tells Lewis  this:

Chief Inspector Morse: Always preferred art myself. Don't know about life. I'm glad to meet people like Bayden. I'm not that sorry but... Today, I supposed because I've always thought of artista as...(shrugs) ... as being something different.

Detective Sergeant Lewis: My dad used to love football - but he didn't like footballers. You have to keep the people that do things apart from what they do.

But his first case as a DC in Oxford was a opera singer who murders her husband's teenaged mistress. WTF?

Edited by Milz
  • Love 1

So far,Lewis has made two references to his Morse years in the new series. I wonder if the Powers That Shape the Morse-verse is setting up to do some kind of Endeavour - Lewis arc?

• Love 1

My PBS station (WETA UK) is showing Morse's "Last Seen Wearing".  Morse is such a dick in this episode to Lewis in this episode. It makes me wonder a few things....Friday wasn't a dick to Endeavour (at least we haven't seen that yet), Lewis wasn't a dick to Hathaway, so why did Morse turn out to be a dick?

Milz, I love Morse, but he can be a dick because he's a depressed alcoholic.

I always seem to think that no murders would be solved if they gave all the detectives Prosac. All of the TV detectives seem to be clinically depressed.

Edited by Thumper82003
  • Love 2

If they ever do an Inspector Hathaway series, I hope James doesn't become Morse 2.0 with drink and depression.

So, in the first episode of the first Lewis series, Lewis meets up with a Professor Gold played by Anna Massey. She says that he looks familiar and that they've probably met before in "another life" (similar to what Frazil tells Endeavour at their first meeting.) I googled Anna Massey, she was on Morse's Happy Families, as Lady Balcombe.

Lady Matilda's College mentioned in Endeavour (most recently "Nocturne") becomes co-ed in Lewis ("Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things").

Free Masonry: mentioned by Lewis in "Whom the Gods may destroy" :

Innocent: You do scrub up well, Inspector.

Lewis: Oh, this penguin suit's been to far too many Masonic dinners - the trouser leg keeps rolling up of its own accord.

I just rewatched the episode early this morn and read your comment during my viewing. So weird! *(I only recently found this thread.)* Needed my fix of a calm, good 'n' decent acting, 'cerebral' mystery.

• Love 1

I can't remember with Morse episode, but he said had to make a speech at a police conference sometime in the late 1960s (i think

it was 1967). And he's a  bit melancholy about it. So I hope Endeavour shows what happened.

Is anyone keeping track of locations? There are some we have seen in more than one episode of the three series. For example, the observatory in Lewis "The Lions of Nemea" looked familiar but I don't even know which series might have shown it before. Hoping there is a web site somewhere.

7 hours ago, Driad said:

For example, the observatory in Lewis "The Lions of Nemea" looked familiar but I don't even know which series might have shown it before. Hoping there is a web site somewhere

It's from another Lewis episode, but I can't remember which one.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Bythebayou said:

It's from another Lewis episode, but I can't remember which one.

"Dark Matter." I did not know that but found it here.

17 hours ago, Driad said:

Is anyone keeping track of locations? There are some we have seen in more than one episode of the three series. For example, the observatory in Lewis "The Lions of Nemea" looked familiar but I don't even know which series might have shown it before. Hoping there is a web site somewhere.

No, but this blog is fun to look through. https://morseandlewisandendeavour.wordpress.com/lewis/

• Love 2