Type keyword(s) to search

Would I Lie To You? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I love this show ! I discovered it through Brit Box and I am addicted. You Tube gave me the prior series that I have missed out on. For anyone not familiar with it, it is a British panel game show where one team has to guess if the other team is lying about a story they tell. Rob Brydon, David Mitchell and Lee Mack have wonderful chemistry together. I have never laughed so hard at some of the things they say. Bob Mortimer is a frequent guest who is especially funny, as well as Rhod Gilbert. I am glad it is one idea that America hasn't tried to borrow and remake. It is perfect the way it is.

Any other fans here ?

• Love 2

I started watching last spring, and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. The fact that I don't recognize half of the panelists and it doesn't make it any less funny speaks volumes. 

12 hours ago, QQQQ said:

The fact that I don't recognize half of the panelists and it doesn't make it any less funny speaks volumes. 

I get really excited when I recognize someone on the panel. lol But also, this show has made me a huge fan of David Mitchell, Lee Mack, Rob Brydon and Rhod Gilbert (I may have a bit of a crush on three out of four of them! and a budding realization that I really dig Welsh men! lol)

I love the British panel shows. We don't really have anything like it in the US, a "competitive" "quiz" type show with absolutely no stakes and hardly any rules. Such fun! I also love QI and Never Mind the Buzcocks, which seems to me to be one of the most random shows ever made. 

But Would I Lie to You is hands down my favorite. The interaction between Rob, Lee and David is brilliant. Very few guest panelists have been let downs, like you say, even people I have never heard of or have any reference for are usually hilarious.

I think my favorite segment is "this is my"... How those folks can stand up there and keep a straight face with some of the questions and guesses the panelists are coming up with is beyond me. 

I might have to binge the series again. 🙂

I started watching last spring, and it quickly became one of my favorite shows. The fact that I don't recognize half of the panelists and it doesn't make it any less funny speaks volumes. 

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY THIS DUPLICATED ITSELF!

Edited by QQQQ

My entire house is decorated in a UK theme, and I got a Union Jack tattoo in Windsor 🙂

I have a magnet on my fridge from Abergavenny which reads, "Welsh and good looking. Oh, where will it end?" 

One of my favorite This Is My... episodes was the one where the woman drugged her parents in order to sneak in her goth boyfriend at night. I did laughing every time!!! Or Rhod's story about sleeping rough for a month in France - he is so hot...

• Love 1

I love this show. I catch them all on Youtube. I'll watch new ones as soon as they air, then follow the youtube recommendation rabbit hole for old ones as well.

Mel's snog with another panelist, Kevin's horse, Claudia and the turtle, and Lee not going to the Royal Wedding because he had to do the show are among the best bits I've ever seen.

• Love 1

Someone told me they thought David looked a bit like Adolph H especially with his bad, old hair cut. Damn, now I cannot unsee that! He really ought to get a better updated haircut just to please my friend& me. Lol

I do love this show. Oddly, never thought about looking at yt for old episodes.

• LOL 1

Hands down, my favourite panel show. I've laughed with tears and until I can't breath at some of the stories. 

Once in a while, I'll watch clips and compilations of best bits from Bob, Rhod, Greg, Lee, and David. It cheers me up if I'm down. 

One of the things I like about these panel shows is the improv and quick banter. Lee Mack has a sharp wit and seems to be underrated. I've watched some of his sitcom and it's so so, but Lee excels more on this show where he has so many zingers.

I also don't find this show as one note or morose as other panel shows have become after awhile. I use to watch most of the UK panel shows but this is the only one (and Taskmaster which I don't think is a true panel show) I still watch. Lee, Rhod, and David are consistent and this show remains classic and fresh. They don't seem tired of the format or give the sense they are doing it for the paycheck. Or maybe they are hiding it much better. Either way, it's one of my favourite returning shows.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, rhys said:

Someone told me they thought David looked a bit like Adolph H especially with his bad, old hair cut. Damn, now I cannot unsee that!

Oh great. And now I can't unsee it. Thank you so much. lol

2 hours ago, Athena said:

I'll watch clips and compilations of best bits from Bob,

Bob tells the best stories. He has me in stitches with some of his crazier ones. My fav was, I think it was the doing his own dentistry one. OMG Dying!

• Love 1
On 1/8/2020 at 9:34 PM, rhys said:

Someone told me they thought David looked a bit like Adolph H especially with his bad, old hair cut. Damn, now I cannot unsee that!

NO! David doesn't look like Adolph. He looks like Donitz!!

(great sketch from his old show if you've never seen it!)

• Love 1

After the elections disrupted the show's schedule, we got the disaster that was Sharon Osbourne, and then a rather listless episode (notwithstanding the efforts of the always-game Richard Osman; Jennifer Saunders was surprisingly subdued). But the latest was a return to form. There was perhaps a bit too much Carry On-nudge-nudge-wink-wink-oh-he's-gay humor, but the guests acquitted themselves well, and it was hilarious seeing Eamon crack up at the stories.

Edited by Corgi-ears

Underappreciated joke of the episode (S13E09/10):

James Acaster: I think he was afraid he would say the wrong thing...

David Mitchell: So you wanted to make sure.

Oti Mabuse losing her shit in the background as Lee told his story was amazing.

Fred Sirieix looked a little bit like Everything but the Girl's Ben Watt. This has nothing to do with anything, but, hey, Fred was the one who brought up the issue of resemblance. 

I love this show!

It showed up in my YouTube feed and I can't figure out why, could be because I watch a lot of Graham Norton videos. I'd never heard of Lee Mack before and was vaguely familiar with David Mitchell, the two of them together, with Rob, is dynamite. I obsessively watched every available episode, until I discovered that it had arrived on BritBox.

Lee Mack has become an absolute favorite of mine now, the ludicrous lies the writers come up for him bring me to near tears because he SELLS it!! I love David as well with his fussiness and general outrage at all things. I get so excited when I see Bob Mortimer or Rhod Gilbert are guests on the show because whatever INSANE thing they say, it's probably true! 

I'm so glad there's a place to talk about this show! 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, msani19 said:

Lee Mack has become an absolute favorite of mine now,

Mine too. He is on the most recent season of Taskmaster and he is hilarious! If you've not seen Taskmaster, I suggest checking it out. Rhod and Bob Mortimer have both been on previous seasons. 

Bob Mortimer on WILTY, is the best! The more insane his story, the more likely it is to be true. lol

• Love 1