Type keyword(s) to search

What’s your favorite place to buy your beauty products?

• Start Topic

What’s your favorite place to buy your beauty products?   POLL OPEN

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For hair items, I go to Ulta and buy it, or buy from the manufacturer.    I don't trust salon products from drugstores, or discount stores.     

I don't buy beauty products from other sources, because I've read too many customer reviews saying that there was a quality problem from other sources.    The one-star reviews are very interesting for salon products from other sources.  

• Love 1
On 2/4/2020 at 6:34 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

For hair items, I go to Ulta and buy it, or buy from the manufacturer.    I don't trust salon products from drugstores, or discount stores.     

I don't buy beauty products from other sources, because I've read too many customer reviews saying that there was a quality problem from other sources.    The one-star reviews are very interesting for salon products from other sources.  

Some stylists discourage shopping for hair products at Ulta too. I always thought they discouraged buying anywhere but their own salons just to make commission, but I don't know for sure. The products I've bought at Ulta (one of my absolute favorite stores) have always appeared to be authentic. 

• Love 1

Another reason the stylists don't want you shopping Ulta for products is they also have a salon, and offer discounts and specials sometimes, so they're afraid you'll dump them for the Ulta salons.       I think the Ulta items are the real thing, because the stylists there get items right off of the shelf.      

The places I never buy salon products is off of Amazon, unless it's the manufacturer selling them, looking at the 1 star ratings on there are really interesting.     I don't buy salon products at the grocery, or big box stores either.    

• Love 1

Sephora and Shoppers Drug Mart (they have a wonderful beauty boutique and is a competitor to Sephora here in Canada.  It’s not just your standard drugstore brands.  You can pick up Smashbox, Stila and Bobbi Brown there).  I also shop online, especially for local/clean/green brands. 

• Useful 1

I shop all over the place...Sephora, Ulta, Saks, Nordstrom, brand websites etc - just depends on where I have a coupon/where I get the best deal.

I don't use Amazon due to all the fakes...

I buy my hair products from the same places as my makeup/skin products.  I don't usually buy from my salon.  Ulta has the EXACT same products (at least in my case).  Your salon wants you to buy in the salon, so they get the sale.

I never buy full price at Ulta though...I always wait for at least a 20% off coupon, and if it's coupled with the item being on sale - I'm good to go and I stock up!  The JCPenney Salon near me used to carry my shampoo/conditioner, and they would have ridiculously good sales - the JCP closed though (shocker), unfortunately.

• Love 1

I just got an email from Ulta, they are closing all their stores from 6PM Thursday until at least 3/31. They are going to keep paying their employees (good for them!), & have reduced the free shipping minimum on their site to $15.00. I actually ordered some stuff yesterday that was around $15.00 & got the free shipping, so that's in effect now. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Just because I can’t go to the physical store doesn’t mean I can’t get Sephora retail therapy..... just splurged.  

Me too! And put a reminder in my calendar to buy something from the Ulta sale next week. 

• Love 1

Update - I answered my own question - for some reason, when I go to the Sephora website it defaults to the Canadian website, not the US site, so I was seeing prices in Canadian dollars. I have to choose US when I log in now. 

This seemed like the best thread for this question: has anyone else noticed significant price increases at Sephora in the last few months, or is it just me (or the stuff I’m buying?)

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Useful 1

I buy my favorite beauty products, usually from Chanel at Nordies or Nordstrom.  I find the colors are interesting, last longer and purer than most.

For skin care I use Isomers Laboratories.  They are based in Canada, altho I buy a lot from Shop NBC { hangs head in shame} --they are really top notch in my book.  I've been with them for 22 years and have stayed with them as my skin changes. Their customer service reps are extremely meticulous about my getting the right products for my age  and skin condition.  I'm not a shill, but a very happy customer. www.isomers.ca  Ask for Francesca.

• Useful 1

I love shopping at Ulta.     Their staff is actually very knowledgeable, and if you tell them what type of makeup you want, they know exactly what line has it.   I often order from them online also.   

I love their liquid hand soap moisture gel pumps (I get the Pink Grapefruit flavor).    I don't like the foaming type though.     

I love Lancome's powder blush.    Revlon lipstick, but unfortunately, they discontinued my shade.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Macy's always seems to have great deals and sales on beauty products and make up. I usually get a text once a week from them for up to 50% discounts on good brand-name stuff.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:39 AM, Giant Misfit said:

Macy's always seems to have great deals and sales on beauty products and make up. I usually get a text once a week from them for up to 50% discounts on good brand-name stuff.

Yeah they have good beauty deals. How I miss shopping there in person!