Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Phil is a Predator- The Dark Side of Dr. Phil

• Start Topic

I don't hate Phil. Upon ocassion, he does give me bits of wisdom, even after all these decades.

The longer someone is on TV, the more scrutiny they are subjected to. His wife gets on my nerves as well as the "life coach" Mike. But Phil... he's still watchable. His guests and their problems are not very relateable to me but I just change channels if I can't get thru it. Or Robin is on.

One thing I do give this couple credit for is meeting, marrying, having children and sticking with each other long before Phil became famous.

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Haven't watched in ages but I always did wonder how many of the guests were really just paid actors. Maybe it's a cultural thing as I'm not American but how do you go on TV and show such a negative/shameful side to yourself and then go back to your hometown, surely there would be repercussions of some sort?

I don't think he helps anyone either. 

IMO, not all prostitution involves sexual acts.  If you sell yourself for money . . . 

• Love 1

I don't know if they pay anything but travel and hotel for this show, but  a lot of the talk shows of the scandal type pay guests, I remember reading that Maury pays about $3k each, and my guess is the runs of shame, etc. and DNA results are no surprise to the 'guests'.      My understanding is that each show is pitched by a production person, and they are responsible for finding the participants, planning the entire show out, getting graphics and other guests ready.      

I found this out from a local scandal where I lived, involving Geraldo, and girl gangs in the town I lived in (there weren't any).    

Some people just want their time in the spotlight, and attention and a little money. 

I remember when Casey Anthony's parents were on the show, and it was claimed that they didn't get paid.  However, a huge donation was made to their foundation, and guess who got that money?   https://nonprofitquarterly.org/why-did-dr-phil-give-600000-to-anthony-charity/

Also, he can drop the therapist garbage, and 'mandated reporter' garbage.   After the sad Britney Spears show, the California board that licensed psychologists said that Dr. Phil didn't violate any confidentiality, because he's not a licensed psychologist, and his show is entertainment.   He hasn't held a valid license as a therapist for a long time (from Texas), and my understanding of who are mandatory reporters in California, he doesn't qualify either. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I know that the Shelly Duvall episode has been brought up occasionally - I am not sure if this is the right thread.  But Shelly Duvall's side of the story certainly shows the dark side of Dr. Phil.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-shelley-duvall-slams-dr-phil-20210211-3ulihfpo7rdyflbccr5nwwxbva-story.html#rt=chartbeat-flt

The Daily News article links to an in-depth interview in the Hollywood Reporter, where she still grows visibly distressed at the mention of Dr. Phil, and the official response from the show.  The response essentially blames the victim.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/searching-for-shelley-duvall-the-reclusive-icon-on-fleeing-hollywood-and-the-scars-of-making-the-shining

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Grifter Lives said:

I know that the Shelly Duvall episode has been brought up occasionally - I am not sure if this is the right thread.  But Shelly Duvall's side of the story certainly shows the dark side of Dr. Phil.

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-shelley-duvall-slams-dr-phil-20210211-3ulihfpo7rdyflbccr5nwwxbva-story.html#rt=chartbeat-flt

The Daily News article links to an in-depth interview in the Hollywood Reporter, where she still grows visibly distressed at the mention of Dr. Phil, and the official response from the show.  The response essentially blames the victim.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/searching-for-shelley-duvall-the-reclusive-icon-on-fleeing-hollywood-and-the-scars-of-making-the-shining

I read that too.  He certainly did take advantage of her situation.  I wonder if he has any conscience at all when he cashes his check.

• Love 1
(edited)

Buzzfeed News has a piece about cancelling Dr. Phil.

Mental healthcare around the country is lacking. Affordable care is hard to access, and that’s if you have any coverage at all. Television therapy, then, is what people get instead, and McGraw doesn’t just give bad advice, but he openly mocks the people coming to him for help. What may have started as a show intended to make therapy and open communication more accessible to people at home has warped into a creepy, exploitative program. Worse, his focus on women and teenage girls who have been abused means the show is now designed to go after people who can rarely defend themselves against a television behemoth. Dr. Phil is just Jerry Springer in a better suit.

Edited by Clawdel
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5