Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

Grant Gustin interview at TV Insider: 'Grant Gustin Previews Barry’s Birthday Crisis and the End of ‘The Flash’ (VIDEO)'

... As you can see in our chat in the video above, Gustin has achieved the zen calmness of a superhero who has done his job, saved the day, and hung up his suit. While battling COVID, no less. And this is only part of our conversation.

In the coming weeks, as The Flash races towards its series finale, look for more with him here at TV Insider. The longtime superhero will look back at the beginnings of the show and reveal some hilarious facts about some of the final moments of filming.

Grant Gustin interview at Us Weekly Mag.: https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/grant-gustin-teases-what-the-flash-ending-means-for-barry-iris/

“We’re not really playing — I don’t wanna say games, but there’s no additional struggle going on with [Barry and Iris] towards the end of the season as we’re finishing up,” Grant, 33, told Us Weekly exclusively about how the show plans to wrap the couple’s story line. “They’re kind of leaning on each other. There’s obviously so much going on in Central City and [Barry and Iris are] expecting a baby and are about to become parents. They’re mostly just staying consistent and leaning on each other. This whole season, I think we really wanted to finish off seeing the beginning of their family and leaving [them] in a good place. I think that’s what we do. I mean, they just kind of get stronger and stronger as the season goes and we’re leaving them in a really good spot as a couple.” 

Interview: 'Director Kayla Compton Previews Tonight’s Flash'

Moving a little forward, how did it feel to be there for the Flash finale?

My actual last day was very emotional. It’s a very special thing to be a part of something that ran for as long as it did. Not many shows get to have nine seasons and 184 episodes, so of course, it was such an honor to have been a part of it for as long as I was, and to be there at the very end was a really beautiful thing. It was sad, [but] I was just really happy to be surrounded by a bunch of people that had become like family.

A couple more interviews with Kayla Compton:

At DC: 'Lighting Up the Screen: Kayla Compton Directs The Flash'

You’re directing the third to last episode of the series, which is part of its four-part series finale. Did you realize early on that would be the case? What sort of pressure did you feel going into it?

I didn’t know! When we talked about me having an episode back at the beginning of season nine, I did not think that I was going to have such an important episode. It’s a lot of pressure. I just feel incredibly lucky and honored. I think the idea was maybe that I would be able to take notes and shadow once more and take in as much as I could until it was time for me to direct, but it all ended up resulting in me directing quite an important episode.

At The Flash Podcast:

Holy crap -- some real marketing and promotion at the last minute:

https://ew.com/tv/the-flash-series-finale-grant-gustin-cover-story/

So when Gustin made the call to end The Flash after season 9, he unintentionally ended the Arrowverse along with it. As for why Gustin decided to hang up his supersuit, "It just felt like time," he explains. "A lot of people wanted us to get to 10 seasons, but in my mind we did 10 years — it was 2013 when I was cast as Barry Allen, and we finished in 2023. We had done everything we needed to do, the characters were in a good place, and we had reached the conclusion." 

It's clear Gustin is at peace with his choice. But it took him a long time — and several false starts — to get there. The actor actually tried to make the call a few different times during the past nine seasons, but was always talked out of it. "Initially when we all signed on, it was a six-year run that got extended to seven," he says. "I got married [to physical therapist and trainer Andrea LA Thoma while filming] season 5. I had a kid [daughter Juniper Grace Louise] during season 7 — so obviously you start thinking about life changes at that point. Plus, Arrow had ended with season 8, so I thought, 'Let's end with season 8.'" 

And finale photos here: https://ew.com/tv/the-flash-series-finale-cover-exclusive-photos/

From Primetimer: 'The Arrowverse Never Felt More Exciting Than in Season 1 of The Flash'

... It might not have worked out that way, as Season 1 isn't without its angst and darkness. But The Flash — developed by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, and DC’s then-Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns — has always run a brighter path than Arrow. Even now, its cheery energy feels like it was generated to build on the foundation Arrow laid for a more colorful televised DC universe to come. It's like Amell's scowling Oliver Queen tells Barry Allen (Gustin) early on: "You can inspire people in a way that I never could." If Arrow was a soapier riff on Christian Bale's journey in Batman Begins, then The CW was clearly positioning Gustin to be its version of Christopher Reeve — or, to modernize the analogy a bit, its Chris Evans. ...

EW's video interview with Grant Gustin:

Grant Gustin Explains Why He Ended 'The Flash' | Entertainment Weekly

Grant Gustin chats with EW about his last day on set, how his own life mirrors Barry Allen's, and hanging up his costume once and for all.

(edited)

TVLine's Performer of the Week, honorable mention:

HONORABLE MENTION: Rick Cosnett

Grant Gustin told us that Cosnett did “interesting and fun” work during his return to The Flash, and that became evident in the series’ penultimate hour. Goaded by a possessed Nora and with the Negative Speed Force already in his head, Eddie Thawne questioned Barry’s bad-mouthing of that which had given him a second chance. “The crystal wants to help me get my life back — a life I was a fool to give up!,” Eddie argued, Cosnett’s eyes both seeking sympathy and hinting at brewing cray-cray. But the more Bar tried to calm his friend, the louder the NSF got. “Sometimes I can’t tell if its the crystal’s voice… or my own,” Eddie said, giving us chills. “And I’m starting to wonder, what’s the difference?” When Eddie then spoke of having “the girl, and family, I deserve,” Bar made clear that Iris and Nora were not Eddie’s. “They were supposed to be!” roared Cosnett. “And they still can be!” And we fear what comes next.

https://tvline.com/lists/betty-gilpin-performance-mrs-davis-episode-8-finale/rick-cosnett-the-flash-season-9-episode-12-performance/

Edited by Trini

'Candice Patton looks back on early Iris backlash and why she stayed'

excerpt:

"It's never been easy, and I think it's still hard," Patton tells EW as she looks back on why she decided to stay. "It's getting easier, we're talking about it a lot more. But I had to learn a lot through trial and error, and I'm really proud of myself, of what I was able to accomplish, and how I was able to advocate for myself while I was there. I learned so much, and I'm really, really grateful for that. And I'm really grateful with the network and the studio— I feel like we grew together. Black Lives Matter happened in the middle of our show and companies were learning and reevaluating in the moment, and I was really grateful to be working with a network and a studio that was open to hearing my thoughts and changing some things and trying to make it better for the future."

This is mostly him rambling, but here's a Tom Cavanagh interview at TV Insider:

I will say just because it’s you and I think you understand this, that you can feel the absence of Carlos Valdes. I certainly feel like the audience will share this sentiment. He’s always been the warm heart of the show and he’s obviously irreplaceable. So not having him in it meant that we had to work even harder to try and delight the audience. But yes, even without Carlos, there was still a large showing of Flash OGs and I think the audience will embrace that.

Stephen Amell has some nice things to say about Grant Gustin and working on The Flash set in this EW interview.

My first impression of Grant is actually I think when I was at my most impressed with him. It was the table read for his introductory episode, and he had the majority of lines and a lot of the scientific jargon and a lot of the Barry Allen sort of chatter that we've all come to know that was very foreign to what we did on our show. He's still a young guy now, certainly, and this is 10 years ago, so I can imagine that it would be very intimidating to come in there and to basically be the star in the middle of a table read with a bunch of people that have just spent the past year and a half grinding together and are tired because it's almost Christmas break. But he was just great.

I know I'm being effusive but when he got on set, he just had that energy. I think back to the very first time that Oliver and Barry interacted, I think that I found something in the character by working with Grant that I hadn't discovered before. When I go back and I look at the first season of Arrow specifically, it's a very difficult watch for me because they very much wanted Oliver to be this removed, suffering-from-PTSD figure, this solitary figure, and it wasn't until later seasons that I feel like I fully realized what I could do with the character. Whereas to me, it feels like Grant came in just fully formed, which is super impressive.

'R.I.P. to the Arrowverse, the most ambitious experiment in the history of superhero TV'

More importantly, though, season two featured a few appearances from Grant Gustin’s Barry Allen, a crime scene investigator from a nearby city with his own friends, his own tragic backstory, and—once he got splashed by chemicals in the middle of a lightning storm and developed super-speed—the potential for years and years of his own superhero stories. The Flash premiered in 2014 and amiably carried the torch from Arrow’s second season with a standout freshman year that offered a fun, brighter counterpart to Arrow’s typical gloominess.

Interview with Tom Cavanagh at DC:

What was it like when you got the call to come back for the finale?

We went into it always knowing. This is like my third or fourth show with Greg Berlanti, and when he asked me to play the Reverse-Flash, the understanding was that we would try to go out the way we came in with Flash vs. Reverse-Flash. I knew it was coming, and it's always a great thing to put on that suit.

Has the plan for you coming back in the finale changed at any point in the last nine years? Will Thawne still play the same role in this episode that you and Greg talked about a decade ago? Or did it evolve?

He and Flash are always going to get after each other, you know? I think I've said before that you can't have a light without a dark to put it in. What is the light of Flash without the obstacles that he has to overcome and the darkness of the Reverse-Flash?

A few post-finale interviews:

At Deadline: 'Tom Cavanagh On Returning As Reverse-Flash For A Finale Rendezvous & His Hopes...'

What is your favorite part about playing the “bad guy,” so to speak?

CAVANAGH: There’s a number of things. I was blessed by the talents of the costume designer Kate Main, who designed the suits for us for so many years. If you saw Season 7 or Season 8, where I was in the black suit as Negative Flash, it was like a tour de force. They spent so many hours cutting and stitching and measuring and then you put the thing on…and it fit like a glove. They just did such a beyond spectacular job, and looking good on camera, you’re gonna get so much of the credit and none of the credit is due to you. It’s due to these people who spend countless hours putting that thing together. It costs thousands and thousands of dollars, and you’re the beneficiary. Then, the action that you do in this is twitch the stunt women and the stunt men — I’ve always felt like that’s been a massive highlight of doing a superhero show, is being part of the stunt team. The amount of thrilling hours and preparation and work that goes into making some spectacle look like it’s spontaneous and being privy and part of that stunt group is something that I will always consider a privilege. 

and: 'Grant Gustin Q&A On Filming The Finale & Saying Goodbye...'

GUSTIN: I felt good in general about the last few [episodes] and some of the story points that we were able to hit. I loved the episode that, I believe was one Eric [Wallace] directed, where we put a bow on the Reverse Flash storyline and visited the night Barry’s mom was murdered again and he got to spend all the time with his parents one last time. I really enjoyed that episode, and I like where we leave them all. I’ve been talking a lot about his family. The show was always about family, and we finish it off by Barry and Iris bringing Nora into their world and into the family and going into the future together — and we saw that glimpse into 2049 and Team Flash is still together protecting the city. So I think it was just a good testament and indication of what the show had always been and that there was a lot of hope on the horizon as we wrapped up the last couple episodes.

And at TVLine:

'Candice Patton Candidly Reflects on Her 9-Season Run'

I mean, I’m still very much aware of that [bullying], and I’m still processing a lot of that and the experience that I had, but I think that, as time goes on, there’s a lot of mixed emotions. Like, I feel mostly gratitude. Gratitude that [The Flash] came my way, gratitude that I got to experience it, gratitude that I survived it, gratitude that I learned so much from it, gratitude that I made friends that I’ll have the rest of my life. It’s like “the good, the bad, and the ugly.” At the end of the day, it’s an experience that is so precious to me. I was so lucky to have this, and that’s not lost on me.

Grant's thoughts on Carlos Valdes' absence in the finale.

'The Flash Stars Reveal How Nora's Birth Got Unexpectedly Messy'

'What Song Did Joe/Jesse L. Martin Sing to Baby Nora?'

... “That song Jesse sang, it was a lullaby he actually wrote for Suzanne’s daughter,” Candice Patton (aka “Auntie Candice” to Reeve) tells TVLine.  “So it was kind of this surreal moment where I’m playing Iris and emotional about Nora, and my dad Joe is there, but then there’s this other weird layer of, like, ‘I, Candice, am with this person I love so much, Jesse, and he’s singing a song that he wrote for another friend of ours.