Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Blood in the Water

Two survivalists (Justin & Dani) test their primitive skills on the razor sharp terrain of Andros Island in the Bahamas. Battling starvation, swarms of tiny predators and accusations about a partner’s survival abilities, this partnership turns into a bad marriage.

I would've preferred to just watch Dani survive on her own. If the editors left all that about Justin in the show, I can't imagine what they left OUT.

• Love 3
(edited)

Dani mentioned getting her period during the episode. I had naively assumed that the producers would purposefully schedule the 21 days for a time when the female participant would not be on her period - guess not? (Although stress like starvation, no sleep, etc. can make things wonky.) I wonder how the women handle that? I think I would die without pain meds for at least a few of those days. Do they get some hygiene products from the production staff? Like a menstrual cup or something that wouldn't be as obvious on camera and in front of a crew? I believe that one other female contestant talked about getting her period, too - I *think* it was the blonde "adventure model" (can't remember which episode) who had a sunburnt security guard as her partner. Anyone know?

Edited by PityFree
I had naively assumed that the producers would purposefully schedule the 21 days for a time when the female participant would not be on her period - guess not?

In the Maldives episode, the lady have debilitating cramps.  I don't know if they gave her product, but they definitely didn't give her med.  

Wasn't there another ep where the lady went fishing with her ho-ha? I don't remember if it was the time of the month though.

• Love 1

The hoo-ha fisher was in Africa during the first season, and IIRC, she was on her monthly at the time. Points for being creative, I guess.

As for this episode, kept waiting for Justin to grunt, throw Dani over his shoulder, and take her back to his cave.

• Love 1

This is the third (or fourth?) lady to have her period. Each time it's happened I have so many questions. What does she do? Products? If so what about disposal? And if it's tampons or a cup what about introducing your unclean hands into your body because they aren't using soap. It makes me think about far too many things I don't want to wonder. Reason #448 I am not cut out for this type of thing.

I liked Dani & thought her reason behind getting into survival training was interesting, if very sad. She sounded like she had really had to do some hard, personal work & had found a good outlet that brought her some peace.

Justin had some work to do on his own. He needed to let go of what his self-expectation was (only he could be the provider) & embrace a competent & skilled partner. I did like that he managed to have a sit down with himself & get it together enough to get along in the end.

I know they edit this for maximum impact, but the better be careful with the fire starter moment was so obvious it was like a smack across the face. Of course it was going to go missing. Y'all had all but drawn a flashing arrow pointing to the exact moment it disappeared into the blue hole of lost survival gear.

(edited)

I just saw this episode again, Dani really did a wonderful job.  She outproduced her partner, who had definite role ideas, and kept things moving forward.  

We aren't seeing many like her this year.

Pretty good for a chick with a stick.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1

Yeah, Justin on this episode was pretty obnoxious. I'm a Southern boy myself and you know what I'd call a woman who can hunt better than me?  A keeper! 

Glad to see she's coming back for Naked and Afraid XL.