Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Book of Resistance: Chapter Four: Earth Crisis

Trini
  • Start Topic

So while this show isn't officially part of this year's crossover event, looks like they changed the title to refer to it, and we'll be seeing multiple versions of Jennifer?

I'm only an occasional viewer of this show so I'm relying on you guys here- why was Jennifer phasing or whatever and meeting her other selves because of the red skies? I heard something about her powers being electric but I'm still not grasping it since her powers look pretty identical to Jeff's to me. 

I assumed Eartn 2 Jinn would be wiped out when anti matter hit her earth, but I'm confused why Earth 1 Gen would be wiped out when Earth 1 still exists? And we still don't know what earth # the show takes place on, correct? 

Bold move to wipe out the entire earth that the show takes place on. 

• Love 2

Well, it looks like Jefferson has been drafted into the Crisis. I'm guessing he's one of the Paragons that Monitor needs. There's a Paragon of Justice, Paragon of Hope, and so on. Jeff would be the Paragon of Getting Kicked In The Balls Over And Over.

Main problem: the same plot was playing out on Earths-1 and 2? Why couldn't the Jenn variants come from other Earths? Nope . . . apparently, the Markovian bullshit and occupation happened on Earth-1. In any reality Odell is an odious bastard. Of course a Jefferson would get shot and killed by Odell in one reality, and another was roasted by SithLord!Ginn in another.

Why do I have a feeling that a post-Crisis Freeland would be as problematic as the one we've seen for the past few years? It's just gotten to a level of depression and ludicrousness that I don't think even last season's Supergirl could have reached.

Or maybe I'm just pissed there was no Tobias. Or Tobias variants. Or Tobias laughing like a lunatic as the antimatter wave came his way.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I'll admit, I'm really surprised they linked the plot on this show to the rest of the COIE crossover; wasn't really expecting anything.

I love seeing alternate realities so the alternate Jennifers were cool. I know they were showing Jen struggling with which side of the ASA conflict to align herself with, but it didn't exactly line up with the alternate Jens, since apparently some of their history was different.

Crap - sucks that still after everything in the last episode, the outside doesn't know about Freeland. However, that's still a plot hole because shouldn't at least some people hear about things from the people who have escaped?

Lynn cooking up her own Green Light; who's gonna fight out about her addiction first?

On 12/9/2019 at 10:47 PM, Jenniferbug said:

I'm only an occasional viewer of this show so I'm relying on you guys here- why was Jennifer phasing or whatever and meeting her other selves because of the red skies? I heard something about her powers being electric but I'm still not grasping it since her powers look pretty identical to Jeff's to me. 

Well, for plot, and to connect to the crossover. But Gambi said something about since her powers are energy-based, the anti-matter energy was messing with her. Her powers are slightly different than Jefferson's, she can generate energy, while he can manipulate it only.

I assumed Eartn 2 Jinn would be wiped out when anti matter hit her earth, but I'm confused why Earth 1 Gen would be wiped out when Earth 1 still exists? And we still don't know what earth # the show takes place on, correct? 

Bold move to wipe out the entire earth that the show takes place on. 

First off, I don't think they're using the same numbering like the other shows. I'm pretty sure the 'Earth 1', 'Earth 2' labels here were just to designate the two alternate realities for the story.

Edited by Trini
gah! typos!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Basically kind of a set-up for Crisis, but it was interesting enough on its own right.  I liked the multi-Jennifer concept, and "our" Jennifer seeing one Jennifer who fully embraced trying to get rid of all metas, only to end collared, locked-up, and watching her father die in front of her, and another Jennifer who went all in with Odell and the ASA, and basically because their gun, and even willingly kills her own family without hesitation.  Yikes!

Should have known the ASA would find some way to discredit the information leaking out last week.  Their propaganda game is strong!  And Odell makes his grand return, and it is nice to see no gunshots will stop him from being a creepy bastard!

Lynn's cooking her own green light now.  That's going to end well!

So, judging from the ending, looks like Jefferson is the only one that will be joining the Crisis gang.  Not to surprising, but still sucks for the rest of them.  Gambi would probably have the time of his life on the Waverider!  And I feel like Jennifer and Mia would either be at each others throats the entire time, or be like two peas in a pod.  Or maybe both.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

And I feel like Jennifer and Mia would either be at each others throats the entire time, or be like two peas in a pod.  Or maybe both.

That would be so great.. One a kid who grew up with a superhero dad but didn't know for quite a while and had a pretty stable home life and one the total opposite.. But both have some things in common... I know Jen wouldnt stand for some of that angry attitude Mia always has.. And would prob just smoke her out to mellow her down.. And Mia would be an actual sounding board for Jen who's got her own overbearing daddy issues... 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Trini said:

First off, I don't think they're using the same numbering like the other shows. I'm pretty sure the 'Earth 1', 'Earth 2' label here were just to designate the two alternate realities for the story.

Yeah, I wondered if it was random numbering. The Earth 2 made sense, because this could be taking place at the same time that Arrow's season premiere was, but the Earth 1 kept throwing me off. I wish they would have used another number, but continuity has never been an Arrowverse strength. 

Glad Jeff gets to take part in the Crisis in more than just a cameo! 

• Love 3

Gotta say China anne Mclain really did a great job... I do wonder if she'll be part of the back half of the crossover as I'm not really sure where she went.. Her powers and attitude could help against the anti-monitor.. Plus as I stated above her interacting with some of these other heroes would be awesome

• Love 5

I didnt expect the episode to tie so much into Crisis, I was kind of just expecting it to just continue the normal plots and have the skies turn red at the end and Jefferson (and maybe some of the other characters) getting disappeared by The Monitor, but this was a really cool episode. I liked seeing the other Jennifer's, and the way their choices mirror and reflect Jenns own choices. Evil all black wearing murder Jinn was especially fun in an evil kind of way. "I created peace in Freeland...by killing everyone!" 

Oh yeah Odell, just ignore those red skies and move onto your evil plans! Tell those walls of anti matter that you dont have time for them right before your ass gets disintegrated! So the whole world is destroyed, like damn, they really arent playing. 

Look like Jefferson has been tapped for Team Save The Multiverse! Possibly Jennifer will go as well, as her powers seem connected to the Crisis, but it looks like Lynn, Gambi, and Anissa all got killed along with the rest of their Earth! Jefferson will sure have a lot of incentive to stop this now and set everything right, he probably just lost his whole family! As soon as Jefferson asks Monotor why he didnt zap his family up too and Monitor gives him some uncaring "well I didnt need them" I looking forward to the Monitor getting a bit singed. Its too bad the rest of the crew couldn't come, Gambi would have LOVED seeing the Waverider and Anissa would have had a blast meeting everyone. I hope Jenn can stop by at least.  

• Love 3
On 12/10/2019 at 3:32 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Basically kind of a set-up for Crisis, but it was interesting enough on its own right.  I liked the multi-Jennifer concept, and "our" Jennifer seeing one Jennifer who fully embraced trying to get rid of all metas, only to end collared, locked-up, and watching her father die in front of her, and another Jennifer who went all in with Odell and the ASA, and basically because their gun, and even willingly kills her own family without hesitation.  Yikes!

What's bad is that both alternate Jennifers are supposed to be a cautionary tale of what could happen to "our" Jen could become if she either gave up her powers or embraced them and worked for Odell. However, "evil" Jennifer is just so over the top evil it's impossible to even imagine "our" Jennifer becoming anything like that whatsoever. Dark Anti-Hero maybe, but she'd never start killing innocent people left and right not to mention her family just because she can like "evil" Jennifer did.

Also, once again it's a strawman for the idea that if Jennifer (or any of the heroes in general really) start killing people. The idea that they could kill only as much as absolutely necessary for some and then nonlethally bringing in people otherwise on a case by case basis doesn't seem to occur when it comes to superheroes.

Re-watched; and I like that they were able to get in this alternate-dimensions story before the universes got collapsed. They probably can't do this again, but maybe a time travel story at some point?

Thought China did really well with playing three different versions of Jennifer. She's the best of the younger actors on the show.