Type keyword(s) to search

DS James Hathaway: The Equine Nine

OK, I'll start this.  I love Hathaway!  He provides the flip side of the Morse/Lewis partnership:  now it's Lewis/Hathaway with Hathaway providing the intellectual role.

I also love that he's a member of the Fox acting dynasty which has been well represented in this program:  Uncle Edward, and Cousin Freddie to name two.

One of my favorite moments of Hathaway (and there are many) was when he bowed to the gardener in the Botanical Gardens in the episode "The Soul of Genius" aka The Hunting of the Snark (Series 6) --- it really seemed like such an unconscious act, and not at all scripted.

The biggest surprise is that Laurence is married to Billie Piper (Dr Who 9 and 10).

Edited by DHDancer
  • Love 3

I love Laurence Fox. I think he is such a good actor. I'm happy he came back for another series. Why stop? Just make a series every now and then.

Anyway, Hathaway is amazing. I love how he basically tortures himself with all his brooding. He just can't get out of his own head. He also seems to be a fairly appalling supervisor, but he's learning. The popped collar has got to go, though.

• Love 2

They can't seem to figure out what to do with his hair.  I think I'm still on Season 3 and his sideburns look godawful.  I can't figure out if I think he's good-looking or not.  Equine Nine does seem to cover it!

*Superficial Comment Warning*

I think his hair looks HORRIBLE this season. It's like he lost a fight with a lawnmower....

*End Superficial Comment Warning*

I like how he's sort of like the anti-Morse. He's educated, like Morse, but not as much as a pompous ass. He's introverted, like Morse, but he's not so introverted that he can't enjoy a good joke with Robbie or Laura. And he's not falling in love with every crazy woman that he stumbles upon like Morse did.

While bringing Robbie out of retirement because they were short experienced Detectives is a good reason to bring the series back, I also want them to say that Innocent doesn't want James to end up a miserable, lonely old man like Morse, so that's why she's assigned Robbie to James. IIRC, Innocent has comments that hint she knew Morse rather than she knew of Morse.

• Love 3

I think we do, or at least we find out that he does like women.  In "The point of Vanishing," he's secretly seeing another DI, Fiona Kitrick or something like that, who gets promoted before him and goes off to London.  That one at least stuck in my head.  Perhaps he also likes men but that doesn't seem to be as clear as this one was.

• Love 1
On 9/17/2014 at 6:55 PM, DHDancer said:

The biggest surprise is that Laurence is married to Billie Piper (Dr Who 9 and 10).

Just read this and looked it up because it was a surprise, and it turns out they got divorced in May. No idea what the actors are like IRL, but the mental picture of Rose + Hathaway is all sorts of wrong.

I like Hathaway a lot. Moody and distant, but also clever and gentle and at times witty, which is my type for better or worse. More like Endeavour than Morse, which works for me. I enjoy the prequel and sequel, but not the original.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, snarktini said:

Just read this and looked it up because it was a surprise, and it turns out they got divorced in May. No idea what the actors are like IRL, but the mental picture of Rose + Hathaway is all sorts of wrong.

Yeah, I'd read about the divorce. No idea about cause etc ("celebrity" marriages having such a poor track record, I don't really care that much) but I believe they were married for a reasonable period, with children.   I do agree with you about the "all sorts of wrong" but then we don't really know these people, do we?  Just what we're fed by media...

In watching the current "last" series, I find myself wondering if "Hathaway" being somewhat intraspective and rather morose has its roots in Fox's personal life...

3 minutes ago, DHDancer said:

In watching the current "last" series, I find myself wondering if "Hathaway" being somewhat intraspective and rather morose has its roots in Fox's personal life...

It's for the best all that Lewis ending. Whately seems checked out, Hathaway is more morose than ever. While I find tortured compelling, it gets depressing after a while no matter the reason.

IIRC Wikipedia says they had two boys. I don't read much about celebrities, it's safer that way. (Ever since I saw an interview with Gillian Anderson that ruined my adoration of Scully, I've been wary!)

• Love 1

I've recently started watching and am on series 2, but so far I find Hathaway much more compelling than Lewis.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:04 PM, snarktini said:

I enjoy the prequel and sequel, but not the original.

Same here. I enjoy Lewis but have tried watching Morse 3-4 times and it never sticks. The early series are quite dated now, but mostly I just can't get into Thaw's portrayal because he looks so old to me (like, mid-sixties). The show seems to want viewers to see him as an attractive and virile man and I just cannot.

It doesn't help that I watched Endeavour first and adore it so the others suffer by comparison.

• Love 4

Except for a rather badly received turn on stage (as the upper crust character in Strangers on a Train), I cant find that Fox has done much of anything except Lewis for years as his (Britain child pop princess) wife's career has been blossoming ... no idea what happened to their joint announcement a few years ago they were going West to explore the green green grass of Hollywood (which apparently they never did).  He was cited for leaving his 5 year-old alone in the car as he went into a pharmacy to pick up a prescription and then launching a nonviolent but loud hissy fit at the constable.  He also apparently has been playing folk music at local events, one appearance featuring a rant at his mother in law for ruining his marriage ... which he later apologized for but ... ugh. 

So think good thoughts. The British media seems to love their seasonal boy toys (most of whom then vanish from sight -- Robson Green was a notable exception) and he may have been lifted very high on the enthusiasm wrt his auspicious marriage and new show only to the wonder where all those glad-handers went a few years down the line.  He talks a lot about hating social events and being awkward ... but that may be affectation left over from teen years ... or being genuinely "complicated" or neurotic.  Think good thoughts. I noticed in this last episode that he'd gained some (needed) weight and looked healthier and more attractive to my eye.  He sounds "difficult" and I also wonder how much they wrote his character to accommodate his quirks and whims. 

Edited by SusanSunflower