Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E09: The Battles, Part 3

• Start Topic

Airs October 21, 2019

The battle rounds continue as the coaches enlist music industry powerhouses Normani, Darius Rucker, Usher and will.i.am to prepare their artists to go head-to-head in hopes of advancing to the knockouts; each coach has one save and one steal to use.

I fast forwarded through most of the show.  I really liked the man with a 1000 names and 14 year old Preston.  

Since neither appeared does this mean they will be on tonight or are there more battles?   

Any saves or steals left?

6 hours ago, Ellee said:

I fast forwarded through most of the show.  I really liked the man with a 1000 names and 14 year old Preston.  

Since neither appeared does this mean they will be on tonight or are there more battles?   

Any saves or steals left?

There are still more battles, tonight's and part of next Monday's.

While I think the show improved the blind auditions, (no montages, stories slightly more cheerful) they took a HUGE step back with the battles.  I do NOT need to see the same stupid backstory over and over again.  I didn't care the first time, do they really think showing it again will somehow make me care?  I also do not need to see the dress rehearsal - I'm going to see the actual performance - that should be all I have to see.  Again, with the montages.  It is really unfair to the person who won.  Unless they are trying to tell us that Kelly paired up all her terrible singers and she will simply eliminate the "winners" next round we should get to see all the performances.  If they really want "battles" where they face off on the same song (as I guess it really is supposed to show us something about them as a singer), simply show all the battles for a coach and let them pick their top 8.   Pairing 2 really good singers against each other and sending one home while you keep a bad singer simply because they "won" their battle makes no sense.   Even if they don't win the better singers deserve to have the extra exposure.  I have much stronger memories of eliminated singers (or non-winners) from previous seasons than I do of some of the winners.  This show would at least be helping the careers of those singers.

• Love 3

I knew I wouldn't be the only one who didn't like Blake's song choice.

And they have to show the rehearsals..... because it's about showcasing the coaches......we have to be witness to their greatness in making song choices as bad as Blake's.    I think I liked Gwen's choice.....don't remember it now ....because Blake's bad song got stuck in my head .....it went away when I fell asleep.

Maybe this is Gwen's season to win since she won't be back.

Edited by Sounder
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I do NOT need to see the same stupid backstory over and over again.  I didn't care the first time, do they really think showing it again will somehow make me care?  I also do not need to see the dress rehearsal - I'm going to see the actual performance - that should be all I have to see.  Again, with the montages.  It is really unfair to the person who won. 

I agree 100%. I'm so sick of the backstories and dress rehearsals, they wouldn't need the montages if they would stop showing that crap! I also noticed they didn't air the guy on team Kelly that sang "Always on my Mind" and lost last words for his coach.

I thought this episode was boring and the songs were awful except for "Always on my Mind" I've always loved that song especially Elvis Presley's version.

Again with the cliffhanger, so stupid, who fucking cares who they pick.

Coaches, PLEASE sit down and shut up while contestants are singing. Thank you.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Sounder said:

And they have to show the rehearsals..... because it's about showcasing the coaches......we have to be witness to their greatness in making song choices as bad as Blake's. 

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion the coaches really don't do much except pick the songs. Gwen's pitch to the young girls she wants on her team during blinds is always, I'll be your mentor. How is she mentoring them by telling them what shape earrings they should wear lol.

• Love 1

Blake's song choices were awful. High Hopes was bad but Valerie was worse. I love both of those songs, but they did not suit his contestants at all. But it's not surprising; Blake is music illiterate. Did anyone notice that he had to ask John if he's be familiar with Turn The Lights Down Low.  Bob Marley is not an obscure artist and it's one of his bigger hits. He's clearly getting fed songs by the producers. If I liked country and maybe classic rock, I'd be fine with Team Blake, but I'd never pick his team if I was interested in any other genre of music because he doesn't have the depth of the other coaches. 

• Love 1

Maybe it’s because I really enjoy that original Zutons arrangement, but I thought the Valerie battle was fun.  Honestly the only battle (that we actually saw...😕) that I didn’t enjoy at least a little was High Hopes- their voices didn’t really pair well together, and it felt like they had to mess around with it to get the harmonies to work.

That being said, I agree that the pacing and editing on this show have somehow gotten worse in recent seasons.  There’s always been too much filler, especially when they can’t be bothered to actually show every performance.  But now it even feels like they’re cutting some of Carson’s lines in half.  It’s like we’ve gotta save those extra 5 seconds, for what? At this point, my viewing experience is basically ff-ing for 15 minutes, watching 5 minutes of singing and chopped together reactions, rinse and repeat.  I don’t know how anyone can actually watch this show live.

• Love 1