Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: An Entrepreneurialist and a Swat on the Bottom

Bort
Message added by Bort

As always, in the episode topics, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet.

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

I'm not sure what else people are expecting to see when they watch Young Sheldon - they're setting things up for what is to come.  If Sheldon were a sweet, biddable child who could be reasoned with and who is the kind of child we all think we were as a kid and the kind of child we'd want our own child to be then he wouldn't be Sheldon!  Just to add - What's clever about YS is that you don't really ever need to have seen Big Bang Theory to know what Sheldon would be like as an adult - the narration by grown up Sheldon makes things pretty clear!

And Sheldon does have his good moments.  Like when he talked to Mary about the odds of her being the perfect mother for him and that proves that there may be a God.  That was pure selflessness because he had to deny everything he believed in to make her feel better.

And when he left that sick kid in the hospital his comic book.  OK, would have been nice if he had visited him later, but he also did thank the nurse on the way out.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And Sheldon does have his good moments. 

He does and what we are also seeing on YS is how his parents are out of their depth in dealing with him and how the school system is failing him.  It's not really surprising that Sheldon acts up and doesn't have the kind of self control that most kids would have by the time they reach his age.  To be honest to me however hard the people orbiting around Sheldon think they have it in terms of dealing with him I think being Sheldon is ten times harder.

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 10/14/2019 at 9:14 AM, Bali said:

For me- She is Carolyn from Bones. And I hear her telling them to kiss because she's feeling Puckish.

"It's Christmas and I have a puckish side that will not be denied"😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Love 1
On 10/14/2019 at 7:10 PM, PennyPlain said:

It's not really surprising that Sheldon acts up and doesn't have the kind of self control that most kids would have by the time they reach his age.  To be honest to me however hard the people orbiting around Sheldon think they have it in terms of dealing with him I think being Sheldon is ten times harder.

As I've said before, Mary & George were limited on the info that was available to them in regards to dealing with a gifted child like Sheldon.  Nowadays we take it for granted that we've got a million support groups or basic information to be found by a simple internet search on just about any given topic.  I can see where Mary & George were flying by the seat of their pants in how they dealt with Sheldon.  Although mistakes have and will be made - as it is with most families, I think that Mary & George are doing the best they can with the information they have.  

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

As I've said before, Mary & George were limited on the info that was available to them in regards to dealing with a gifted child like Sheldon.  Nowadays we take it for granted that we've got a million support groups or basic information to be found by a simple internet search on just about any given topic.  I can see where Mary & George were flying by the seat of their pants in how they dealt with Sheldon.  Although mistakes have and will be made - as it is with most families, I think that Mary & George are doing the best they can with the information they have.  

In Sheldon's intellectual regard, yes, Mary and George are doing the best they can. The problem is how they deal with Sheldon when he misbehaves and/or mouths off. In that case, he shouldn't be treated any differently than their other kids. But they let him slide, and he isn't learning how not to be a dick.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

In Sheldon's intellectual regard, yes, Mary and George are doing the best they can. The problem is how they deal with Sheldon when he misbehaves and/or mouths off. In that case, he shouldn't be treated any differently than their other kids. But they let him slide, and he isn't learning how not to be a dick.

I love Missy, but she's just as, if not more, mouthy than Sheldon.  When Mary took Missy's Cosmo, she also took Sheldon's comic books.  When he took apart the refrigerator, George yelled at him and made him work off paying for a new one.  I actually don't see that they are completely lax in regards to discipline.  But, this is a sitcom. It's not real life.  They're not going to punish for every little infraction, and Sheldon can't have that much character growth.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

I love Missy, but she's just as, if not more, mouthy than Sheldon. 

Yeah, Missy and Sheldon are sitcom kids.  Snappy comebacks and real little smart mouths.  It's funny (of course) but it's behavior in the real world that would earn a kid a lot of time outs!

• Love 3

Everyone's already covered the episode very well, and I am really enjoying the different intros every week.

I am very proud that I recognized the Star Trek pants before they panned up to his face, lol.

Fun fact: I think that the episode with the Horta is one of the first ST episodes I ever saw.  Hee.

• Love 1

Love the fact that even behind a closed door and wearing headphones, Missy still heard the word "candy". And that Sheldon, even when talking in code, will still include his "fun facts". And then there was this exchange:

"Dad is rude to her all the time!" Sheldon
"That is not... the point" George

Though a couple of things I don't believe: that while George (Jr) is showing his entrepreneurial spirit and certainly he could undercut the candy machine at school, I don't think he could undercut it by 50% and make $100 to splash out on a necklace. Nor do I believe that Sheldon would say with such glee that he was brought back once "on the back of a horse". Sheldon's attitude to the natural world has consistently been "Aaagghhh! Take it away!" so that should have been a terrible thing (as far as he's concerned).

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, vibeology said:

I am super anti-spanking but Connie should have hit him harder. Calling her "selfish." I saw red.

Agreed (well, I wouldn't say super anti-spanking, though since I have no children of my own, this is purely theoretical anyway). Such a shame the lesson won't take.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Missy is THE BEST. I loved her telling them that she knows how to use a card catalogue and repeating several times that she “told Sheldon not to go.”

Eh...

I like Missy, I do, and she gets some very funny lines, but I'm never ok with lying, and that was an outright lie. Yes Sheldon is a pill, but some of Missy's behavior is just as wrong as Sheldon's. Her sardonic delivery is often funny but also a bit unsettling at times.

Edited by Gothish520
Sheldon only has one H
6 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Eh...

I like Missy, I do, and she gets some very funny lines, but I'm never ok with lying, and that was an outright lie. Yes Shheldon is a pill, but some of Missy's behavior is just as wrong as Sheldon's. Her sardonic delivery is often funny but also a bit unsettling at times.

Yeah, she definitely is truth-challenged. She also told Sheldon that taking apart the refrigerator was a great idea and then told her parents she told him not to.  And, while maybe not a direct lie, she knocked on Georgie's door to get him to take the blame for her eavesdropping and then let him take the punishment. Although, if the only punishment was not going to the church picnic, I doubt he much minded.

• Love 2

I love that Georgie is finding his own way in the world (great at sales -- charming and handsome and a good listener; you almost don't need more than that), and sometimes learning from his mistakes.  The candy bracelet (necklace?) was so fucking charming, I think I swooned.  One of my exes was a Georgie-type, and whenever he played to his strengths like that, I just couldn't resist.

• Love 1