Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

kariyaki

S03.E03: An Entrepreneurialist and a Swat on the Bottom

Recommended Posts

Quote

Sheldon takes matters into his own hands when Meemaw refuses to drive him to a lecture with Dr. Linkletter. Also, Georgie tries to impress Veronica with his new business venture.

Airdate: Thursday, October 10, 2019

As always, in the episode topics, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet.

Share this post


Link to post

I love Missy.

And "The Devil in The Dark" is one of my favorite Trek episodes, if only because Bones says, "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post

I’m against these kind of treatments against children but Sheldon really deserved that swat. I think that we’re going to see Sheldon’s bratty side more often in this season, regarding the first three episodes. 
I found this episode weaker than the previous ones but still made me laugh, especially Missy’s lines. Georgie’s final gesture to Veronica was sweet. 

  • Love 13

Share this post


Link to post

I don't get why they don't give Missy more storylines.  Love her!

Sheldon is becoming unlikeable

I heard somewhere that Jim Parsons gets $100,000 per episode to narrate.

  • Love 14

Share this post


Link to post

31 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Loved it! Was the jewelry store in Starcourt Mall? I don't have the ability to pause or rewind to check the sign again.

I went back and looked at it.  It's the Stone Creek Mall.  

Sheldon was quite the little turd in this one!  I'm glad that he was made to see the error of his ways though.  

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

I really liked this episode.

Can the next spin-off feature Missy, at any stage of her life?  Pretty please?  I love that girl, and her "Really?  You don't want to thank her in person?" line made me laugh out loud.  I wish the writers would give her more to do.

  • Love 18

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I really liked this episode.

Can the next spin-off feature Missy, at any stage of her life?  Pretty please?  I love that girl, and her "Really?  You don't want to thank her in person?" line made me laugh out loud.  I wish the writers would give her more to do.

Also her whispering “Damnit” when she found out Sheldon wasn’t being arrested. 

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 14
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I like "Young Sheldon." But not enought to sit through 20 commercials/promos in 10 minutes.

Edited by Bobbin · Reason: Fix typo.
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I really liked this episode.

Can the next spin-off feature Missy, at any stage of her life?  Pretty please?  I love that girl, and her "Really?  You don't want to thank her in person?" line made me laugh out loud.  I wish the writers would give her more to do.

She's fabulous! "Really?  You don't want to thank her in person?" Best line I've heard in ages. Sheldon had it coming.

  • Love 18

Share this post


Link to post

Georgie is turning out to be quite the charmer, and he's finally getting some good story lines. Loved his little fantasy where he's dressed like a pimp with Veronica on his arm. And while he may not be book smart, he figured out a way to charm Veronica after messing up earlier with the expensive necklace.

All of Missy's lines were great. I think the show is best when it features other members of the ensemble rather than Sheldon.

Just how long is Dr. Sturgis supposed to have been in this hospital? He's clearly not stark, raving insane so it's a little unrealistic he would spend months hospitalized as an inpatient. I guess I'm just missing his character. Dr. Linkletter is a poor substitute.

  • Love 14

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

Georgie is turning out to be quite the charmer, and he's finally getting some good story lines. Loved his little fantasy where he's dressed like a pimp with Veronica on his arm. And while he may not be book smart, he figured out a way to charm Veronica after messing up earlier with the expensive necklace.

All of Missy's lines were great. I think the show is best when it features other members of the ensemble rather than Sheldon.

Just how long is Dr. Sturgis supposed to have been in this hospital? He's clearly not stark, raving insane so it's a little unrealistic he would spend months hospitalized as an inpatient. I guess I'm just missing his character. Dr. Linkletter is a poor substitute.

In 1990 mental health was handled very differently than it is today. Also, Dr. Sturgis may have self committed and isn't ready to resume his life.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

In 1990 mental health was handled very differently than it is today. Also, Dr. Sturgis may have self committed and isn't ready to resume his life.

I hadn't seen any previous indications that Dr. Sturgis is independently wealthy. And unless he is, no hospital, even in 1990, is going to keep a patient for weeks or months that they're not getting paid to treat. Insurance will only pay if there is a medical necessity, and feeling unable to resume your life does not meet medical necessity.

I know it's a tv show and there will always be unrealistic things but they could easily explain his absence by saying he went to visit a friend or accepted a fellowship somewhere for an extended period of time.

The good news is I think the show expects Wallace Shawn to be back when he can or they wouldn't keep mentioning his character. It's not like tv characters don't disappear without a word or any explanation whatsoever. Chuck Cunningham, anybody?

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

Sheldon deserved way more than one swat. He's lucky he only got that much. I saw so much of the obnoxious adult he'll become.

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Loved his little fantasy where he's dressed like a pimp with Veronica on his arm.

All of Missy's lines were great. I think the show is best when it features other members of the ensemble rather than Sheldon.

Even though they showed that in the previews last week, I laughed and laughed and laughed again last night.

Missy is THE BEST. I loved her telling them that she knows how to use a card catalogue and repeating several times that she “told Sheldon not to go.”

Loved her reaction to Sheldon’s note. 98% of child actors would have delivered a stereotypical snarky line. Missy’s was subtle and nuanced.

  • Love 13

Share this post


Link to post

I am super anti-spanking but Connie should have hit him harder. Calling her "selfish." I saw red.

It was good to see that Sheldon was willing to learn from Patricia Belcher's character but he should have been more respectful when Connie clearly told him that it was a personal issue. I get that Sheldon doesn't pick up on social cues, but Connie was clear. He just didn't respect a boundary she put up because he was being selfish.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

Funny episode! Especially with George and Missy.

That professor is kinda a creep. Glad Connie knows what he’s up to.

When Sheldon called Connie selfish and she froze, it was a definite “S**ts going down!” moment. He definitely got off lucky being grounded for a month.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Something I picked up on was Sheldon pushing back that George is rude to Connie too. Probably it was just meant to be funny but it also stood out to me regarding how the example the adults the adults set isn't great. George seems to set pretty consistent boundaries while Mary and Connie are by turns indulgent and then snap. And all three of them are fairly snarky with each other, though George and Connie are clearly the worst offenders. 

  • Love 8
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I thought this episode was hilarious. I like that they're focusing more on Georgie, and I hope we get a few storylines centered around Missy as well. 

It took a minute for my 2019 brain to figure out why the family had to go to the library to look up Morse Code. No Internet, no smart phones. Duh. 

The scene where the clerk bought the ticket for Sheldon to get rid of him was cute as was Sheldon's conversation with the lady on the bus. 

I'm so happy to read Dr. Sturgis will be back. Dr. Linkletter is creepy. Sheldon is a brat, but he's also a child. He doesn't deserve to be manipulated so the professor can hit on MeeMaw.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Funny episode! Especially with George and Missy.

That professor is kinda a creep. Glad Connie knows what he’s up to.

When Sheldon called Connie selfish and she froze, it was a definite “S**ts going down!” moment. He definitely got off lucky being grounded for a month.

Why did your eyes stop blinking? Lol

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

Great episode, I thought it was hilarious.

When Sheldon's family were trying to figure out Morse Code, I thought Connie was going to call Dr Linkletter. I was so glad they figured it out for themselves!

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

I don't get why they don't give Missy more storylines.  Love her!

Sheldon is becoming unlikeable

I heard somewhere that Jim Parsons gets $100,000 per episode to narrate.

JP is also a producer. So that salary is probably for both.

  • Love 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Funny episode! Especially with George and Missy.

That professor is kinda a creep. Glad Connie knows what he’s up to.

When Sheldon called Connie selfish and she froze, it was a definite “S**ts going down!” moment. He definitely got off lucky being grounded for a month.

I didn't like the last scene where they were all watching Star Trek. Sheldon disobeyed his parents AGAIN by leaving the house when he was grounded. They should have also taken away his tv privileges for a month. No Star Trek, no Professor Proton. But apparently there were no consequences for that so he'll just continue doing whatever he pleases. I would really like to see an episode where George and Mary are forced to attend parenting classes.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Hurray!

My favorite Missy moment this week was her look of joy when Sheldon came in and said Me-Maw swatted him.  He sure had it coming.

I kept my eyes on her the whole time.  Her expressions in the background are great.

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I didn't like the last scene where they were all watching Star Trek. Sheldon disobeyed his parents AGAIN by leaving the house when he was grounded. They should have also taken away his tv privileges for a month. No Star Trek, no Professor Proton. But apparently there were no consequences for that so he'll just continue doing whatever he pleases. I would really like to see an episode where George and Mary are forced to attend parenting classes.

Hear, hear!

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

I don't get why they don't give Missy more storylines.  Love her!

Me too. 

16 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Can the next spin-off feature Missy, at any stage of her life?  Pretty please?  I love that girl, and her "Really?  You don't want to thank her in person?" line made me laugh out loud.  I wish the writers would give her more to do.

I know this will probably never happen, but it would be awesome to see an episode with an older Missy narrating. As for a spin-off, after this series ends, continue on with the adventures of the Cooper family from Missy's perspective. 

14 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Georgie is turning out to be quite the charmer, and he's finally getting some good story lines. Loved his little fantasy where he's dressed like a pimp with Veronica on his arm. And while he may not be book smart, he figured out a way to charm Veronica after messing up earlier with the expensive necklace.

I thought that was wonderful. It would be great to see Veronica and Georgie go to a dance or do something as just friends. The classic "is it a date or not plotline." 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

21 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I didn't like the last scene where they were all watching Star Trek. Sheldon disobeyed his parents AGAIN by leaving the house when he was grounded. They should have also taken away his tv privileges for a month. No Star Trek, no Professor Proton. But apparently there were no consequences for that so he'll just continue doing whatever he pleases. I would really like to see an episode where George and Mary are forced to attend parenting classes.

But he wasn't just lounging around watching TV.  He was showing a videotape of a Star Trek episode that he thought perfectly demonstrated that he now understands how selfish he was, and that he considered to be an apology.  Y'know, instead of just apologizing directly like a normal person.

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Driad said:

Looking up Morse code:  I was a bit surprised they did not have an encyclopedia.

They don’t need an encyclopedia, they have a Sheldon. 

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I know this will probably never happen, but it would be awesome to see an episode with an older Missy narrating. As for a spin-off, after this series ends, continue on with the adventures of the Cooper family from Missy's perspective.

Oh my gosh, that would be awesome!  You know, I may be remembering it wrong... but didn't My So-Called Life have an episode that was narrated by one of the other characters?  (The neighbor kid, I think.)  IIRC, the switch in perspective was fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I hadn't seen any previous indications that Dr. Sturgis is independently wealthy. And unless he is, no hospital, even in 1990, is going to keep a patient for weeks or months that they're not getting paid to treat. Insurance will only pay if there is a medical necessity, and feeling unable to resume your life does not meet medical necessity.

I had an aunt who to the best of my knowledge wasn't independently wealthy and was in a psychiatric hospital for quite a while.  I'll admit I don't know all the details, but it was completely a psych issue, not physical.

2 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I didn't like the last scene where they were all watching Star Trek. Sheldon disobeyed his parents AGAIN by leaving the house when he was grounded. They should have also taken away his tv privileges for a month.

Maybe that scene took place after his grounding was over.

I agree with Sheldon's punishment and he was in the wrong.  But, Dr Linkletter, or whatever his name is, is even a bigger jerk.  Sheldon is an 11 year old with less than stellar social skills.  It's really shady to use him to get to Connie.  Yes, Sheldon is annoying in his class, and I would be fine with him telling Sheldon that he can't be in his class any more because his "fun facts" and interruptions aren't fair to the other students.  But, I'm not OK with him using him and putting Connie in an uncomfortable position of either having to go along or telling he poor kid the truth.

Dr Sturgis likes Connie, but he also genuinely likes Sheldon.

And, agree with everyone re Missy's awesomeness.  And, yay, card catalogues.

Fun fact: I went to the library in my hometown 10 years ago and believe it or not they still had card catalogues.

Which reminds me, I love love love that Sheldon inserted at least one fun fact into this morse code message.  They might annoy other people, but to be fair to Sheldon, he actually does think that they are fun and thinks that other people will enjoy them.  

And, the lady on the bus.  If I sat down next to a kid who told me that they had memorized the entire bus schedule, I would actually find that kind of awesome. But, yes, the tuna thing was completely rude, and that's the kind of thing that stops being acceptable at about the age of 5.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Which reminds me, I love love love that Sheldon inserted at least one fun fact into this morse code message. 

That was hilarious, especially their reactions to said fun fact!  This show is firing on all cylinders.  Sadly, I don't see this show having a long life because the kids are growing up so quickly, but I'm going to enjoy it as long as it lasts!   

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I kept my eyes on her the whole time.  Her expressions in the background are great.

When Sheldon's in trouble, she lights up like a Christmas tree.

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2019 at 12:07 AM, SpiritSong said:

I hadn't seen any previous indications that Dr. Sturgis is independently wealthy. And unless he is, no hospital, even in 1990, is going to keep a patient for weeks or months that they're not getting paid to treat. Insurance will only pay if there is a medical necessity, and feeling unable to resume your life does not meet medical necessity.

I'm sure he doesn't just feel unable to resume his life but is unable to resume it.  And that is definitely possible and is still a reason to keep someone in a hospital for weeks or more.  3 years ago a dear friend of mine who is very bipolar was on an older medication for decades that her doctors wanted to get her off of, thinking she didn't need it anymore anyway.  So they weaned her off of it and for a while she was fine until a life event put her under an unusual amount of stress.  Suddenly she had a breakdown and was hospitalized for about a month to 6 weeks.  It was very scary because I had never seen her act so depressed and psychotic before.  She was paranoid and thought everyone including the nurses was out to get her (but not me, thankfully).  They put her back on medication and when they were satisfied that it was working and that she could cope with her life, they sent her home.  But it was literally mentally and physically impossible for her to handle taking care of herself before that happened.  Once the medication took effect she was completely back to normal, which for her, like Dr. Sturgis is always a little quirky.  This was in NYC by the way.

  • Love 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

And, the lady on the bus.  If I sat down next to a kid who told me that they had memorized the entire bus schedule, I would actually find that kind of awesome. But, yes, the tuna thing was completely rude, and that's the kind of thing that stops being acceptable at about the age of 5.

But she called Sheldon on it, and told him how rude he was being. 

The actress played Mrs. Dabney on "Good Luck Charlie." Her schtick seems to be no-nonsense, grumpy old ladies. I always enjoy it when I see her.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

But she called Sheldon on it, and told him how rude he was being. 

Yes, and i'm OK with that.  But, she was annoyed with him before he did anything wrong.  She spoke to him first by saying that he was young to be travelling alone.  And he said he memorized the bus schedules.  That's just awesome.

Share this post


Link to post

I love Patricia Belcher almost more than my family.  Can she show up in every episode someway?  

I do want to give the writers a thousand paper cuts for the tuna line because saying that to any lady by anyone is unbelievably inappropriate and should never ever ever be spoken aloud.  Christ.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

19 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Isn't he still stationed in Greenland?  😂🤣😂🤣

Richie was stationed in Greenland. Chuck Cunningham won a baskball scholarship to outer Mongolia. 

21 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Oh my gosh, that would be awesome!  You know, I may be remembering it wrong... but didn't My So-Called Life have an episode that was narrated by one of the other characters?  (The neighbor kid, I think.)  IIRC, the switch in perspective was fantastic.

You are correct, My So-Called Life had an episode narrated by Brian, the neighbor, but also  another episoded narrated by Danielle (Angela's younger sister). My inspiration came from the one Danielle narrated, because it would be different perspective on the same family (How Missy remembers family dinners and other aspects of her childhood).

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Richie was stationed in Greenland. Chuck Cunningham won a baskball scholarship to outer Mongolia. 

You are correct, My So-Called Life had an episode narrated by Brian, the neighbor, but also  another episoded narrated by Danielle (Angela's younger sister). My inspiration came from the one Danielle narrated, because it would be different perspective on the same family (How Missy remembers family dinners and other aspects of her childhood).

Oh wow!  That's right.  Thanks for reminding me about that episode.   I really hope they do one from each of the other sibling's perspective at some point.  That would be so fun!

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just want to echo all of the praise being heaped on Missy.  IMO, she is the true star of the show.  

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

I love Patricia Belcher almost more than my family.  Can she show up in every episode someway?  

I'm not familiar with the shows some people have mentioned she was in during this thread.  But for me, she'll always be Judge Horsedich from the late, great Trial & Error.  An of course, ubiquitous Geico commercials.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/10/2019 at 9:41 PM, AnnaRose said:

I really liked this episode.

Can the next spin-off feature Missy, at any stage of her life?  Pretty please?  I love that girl, and her "Really?  You don't want to thank her in person?" line made me laugh out loud.  I wish the writers would give her more to do.

Also, Does he really think these are fun facts? Missy is the STAR of this show! Loved her this episode.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2019 at 4:56 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Isn't he still stationed in Greenland?  😂🤣😂🤣

Am I the only person who can't see the word "Greenland" and not hear it in Wallace Shawn's voice? I am so happy to see that Dr. Sturgis will be back. I want him back. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/12/2019 at 11:11 PM, Bulldog said:

Just want to echo all of the praise being heaped on Missy.  IMO, she is the true star of the show.  

I'm not familiar with the shows some people have mentioned she was in during this thread.  But for me, she'll always be Judge Horsedich from the late, great Trial & Error.  An of course, ubiquitous Geico commercials.

For me- She is Carolyn from Bones. And I hear her telling them to kiss because she's feeling Puckish.

  • Love 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Sheldon is an awful kid. He is annoying me. 

I'm not sure what else people are expecting to see when they watch Young Sheldon - they're setting things up for what is to come.  If Sheldon were a sweet, biddable child who could be reasoned with and who is the kind of child we all think we were as a kid and the kind of child we'd want our own child to be then he wouldn't be Sheldon!  Just to add - What's clever about YS is that you don't really ever need to have seen Big Bang Theory to know what Sheldon would be like as an adult - the narration by grown up Sheldon makes things pretty clear!

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Love 18

Share this post


Link to post
kariyaki

As always, in the episode topics, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size