Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: A Hope of Meeting You in Another World

I sure do hope we don't see Mary's annoying jerk of a son after this episode. Gosh, what a horrible person. I was rooting very hard for Bash to win in their brawl.

Also, I know we are supposed to root for Anne and Gilbert to get together, but Winnifred was just adorable in this episode. All her scenes were very interesting.

• Love 3

The scenes of Diana having dinner with Jerry's family was probably my favorite part of this show so far.  She looked so happy to be spending time with a big, boisterous family, as opposed to her staid one.  I'm not sure if Fred Wright will ever be a thing on this show but if the writers decide to say the hell with it, I 100% ship her and Jerry.  Forget Anne and Gilbert...Diana and Jerry!  

Oh, and speaking of Anne and Gilbert: sorry Shirbert fans, but at this point, he makes way more sense with the other girl.  Anne, while better than in the previous seasons, still seems so much like a child.  And a weird one at that.  And unfortunately Amybeth's acting doesn't seem to be improving, she's still majorly overdoing it, it's getting annoying.  They're approaching the point where they're kind of ruining her character; the older Anne of the books is actually a lot like Rose, where she's a bit quirky but still mature and thoughtful.  At 16 she's supposed to be at Queen's, not still wearing pigtails and acting like she did when she first arrived.  

I have a bad feeling Mary's son is going to be this season's version of the fake prospectors of season two.  He'll overstay his welcome and contribute nothing to the plot.  

• Love 6

Everyone is so cute with Bash's baby. Last week it was Marilla and Matthew, and this week Gilbert was so cute with her (helps that the baby is super-cute).

I'm beginning to feel about Mary's son the way I felt about the grifters at the beginning of season two - just end it already. Go ahead and rehabilitate him or let him leave. Just move on.

Nice to see Matthew give Marilla the what-for. I'm always impressed when he decides to throw his weight around (it's so rare, and he usually does it for Anne). I felt sorry for Marilla, and I'm glad that she finally got to talk it out with someone and came around to supporting Anne.

Rachel, if you're going to play matchmaker with Miss Stacey, you'll have to do better than your lame-o son. Miss Stacey is an "outside of the box" kind of gal. Think outside of the box.

I like the personality of Gilbert's other love interest, but she still comes off as way too old for him. Again, she's 25 if she's a day, and if Anne is 16, I think Gilbert is supposed to be around 18 or so, but he is a young-looking 18. 

Cole has really settled into the "rich city boy" role. I had "Anne of Avonlea" flashbacks when Anne came out in her "mature" look, and said "Lose the braids" about two seconds before Cole did. With her hair up, Anne looked even more "Anne of Avonlea" and very pretty. I think they are doing okay with Anne's maturity level. She's come a long way since last season, and I think they are saving some of the real maturing until when she's at Queen's and on her own for the first time. 

I knew Diana was going to start rebelling here pretty soon, and I loved that she pulled a Pride & Prejudice and was all, "Oh, no! I'm too sick/injured to leave the gentleman's home! I guess I'll have to stay here so he'll fall in love with me!" That whole sequence was very enjoyable. I just wonder how long before her parents try to shut it all down.

I pretty much screamed during all of Ka'kwet's story line. There was the sweet moment where Anne gave her the puffed sleeve dress, but the rest of it was a nightmare. I felt pure dread when they wouldn't allow her father to accompany her to the school. When Anne was walking away from the school I wanted to yell, "No! Anne, turn around! Get back in there and wreck up the place and free Ka'kwet!"

• Love 7

Overall, I thought this was a solid episode.  They did a good job of weaving stories about the various characters from different communities together.  

I agree the best part was finally visiting the Acadians and Jerry's home.  I thought they would have done that by now.  It was nice to see Diana getting a little bit of freedom and it worked perfectly since she also spoke French.  I laughed when the dog lunged at her mother.  

I think I find Bash more interesting in this one than in the last few episodes.  This episode was more realistic in that we finally saw some discrimination that took place with Bash and also Marilla with the baby at the store.  Though the fight with Mary's son was so predictable and thus boring.  I agree that Mary's son is the worst part of this season thus far.  I don't remember ever seeing that yellow kite.  

Rachel trying to match her own son with Muriel is a bit hard to swallow.  I don't like her role in separating Ka'kwet from her family, and even though it's not realistic, I hope she learns the errors of her ways.  The scenes in the residential school were difficult to watch, and again, even though it's not realistic, I hope Anne "rescues" Ka'kwet sooner rather than later.

I was surprised by Matthew's strong stance towards Marilla, and it was surprisingly effective.  It is never nice to see Anna and Marilla at odds, but I think they gave some satisfying payoff in this episode with their reconciliation.  I liked Muriel for the first time with her conversation with Marilla.  Though Marilla's racist attitudes towards the Micmaq are still unresolved.  They never talked about Anne giving her dress to Ka'kwet.   

I still don't like Winnifred since she is so undeveloped.  She looks too much older than Gilbert and the acting feels a little artificial. 

• Love 5

The only reservation I have about this Ka'kwet story is that I'm not sure what the endgame is -- granted, not knowing how a story ends is hardly a problem in and of itself (in many respects that even inherently good for drama), but purely on a conceptual level, the story ending with "and Anne's little friend was taken away to a horrible prison school and scarred for life" is a nonstarter for a show like this, but this isn't a problem that our heroes can solve in any real sense either.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

The only reservation I have about this Ka'kwet story is that I'm not sure what the endgame is -- granted, not knowing how a story ends is hardly a problem in and of itself (in many respects that even inherently good for drama), but purely on a conceptual level, the story ending with "and Anne's little friend was taken away to a horrible prison school and scarred for life" is a nonstarter for a show like this, but this isn't a problem that our heroes can solve in any real sense either.

I suspect we will get a situation where Anne finds out the truth and Rachel Lynde storms into the school and they get Ka'kwet back or something, but...yes. It doesn't solve the problem at large, and I'm not sure how they will handle it.

That's actually something that I don't care for in this show - it's good that they address these social issues, but they often get glossed over. That's why I think I was bothered when Prissy Andrews left Mr Phillips at the altar. Gay people married in order to conform all the time back then. And if a woman discovered that her husband was gay, she was pretty powerless about leaving the marriage and was stuck. Not that I wish for a show where we sit around and watch Prissy Andrews be miserable in a loveless marriage, but I kinda feel like letting her run away was a way to gloss over a very real issue they were touching on. Similarly, while I love seeing Cole happy with Aunt Jo...damn, that kid got out lucky.

They seem to be doing a somewhat better job with Bash and his family - sure, he moved to Avonlea and the Cuthberts were friendly to him, but others were not. Then they warmed up to him and he got married, but families like the Barrys still stayed away. Then everyone pulled together and was supportive when Mary got sick, but Marilla still got grief from the store clerk for daring to care for a black child. They haven't been able to make racism magically go away, and that's how it should be. I don't know if they will find similar success with the Ka'kwet story.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 11
On 10/14/2019 at 1:51 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

The scene at the Residential school was heartbreaking. I hope Ka’kwet makes it out.

Those scenes were so upsetting. I have some personal experience with a similar place as a child (a "nursery" in the South where kids of all ages went to live, paid by the state or by the parents, depending on the situations).

So yeah, that nun was horrible, and I have seen her kind before. I will never understand how someone could be that cruel to a child. Poor sweet Ka'kwet! I had such a hard time even watching those scenes.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:25 PM, Kostgard said:

Nice to see Matthew give Marilla the what-for. I'm always impressed when he decides to throw his weight around (it's so rare, and he usually does it for Anne). I felt sorry for Marilla, and I'm glad that she finally got to talk it out with someone and came around to supporting Anne.

I like the personality of Gilbert's other love interest, but she still comes off as way too old for him. Again, she's 25 if she's a day, and if Anne is 16, I think Gilbert is supposed to be around 18 or so, but he is a young-looking 18. 

I love every single moment when Matthew dares to stand up to Marilla, and really enjoyed that scene here too. 

I agree on Winifred -- I was flabbergasted that she turned out to be someone Gilbert would actually date, since she looks so much older than him (Note: the actress is lovely, and besides, I absolutely 100% support men dating older women! But here, casting-wise, it just comes across as very odd to me, especially given Gilbert's visible feelings for Anne.)

On 10/14/2019 at 5:58 PM, Camera One said:

I agree the best part was finally visiting the Acadians and Jerry's home.  I thought they would have done that by now.  It was nice to see Diana getting a little bit of freedom and it worked perfectly since she also spoke French.  I laughed when the dog lunged at her mother.   

I liked that scene a lot too. It was interesting to see Diana loosen up and enjoy herself, and how Jerry's family allowed her to relax a bit.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:26 PM, Kostgard said:

That's actually something that I don't care for in this show - it's good that they address these social issues, but they often get glossed over. That's why I think I was bothered when Prissy Andrews left Mr Phillips at the altar. Gay people married in order to conform all the time back then. And if a woman discovered that her husband was gay, she was pretty powerless about leaving the marriage and was stuck. Not that I wish for a show where we sit around and watch Prissy Andrews be miserable in a loveless marriage, but I kinda feel like letting her run away was a way to gloss over a very real issue they were touching on. Similarly, while I love seeing Cole happy with Aunt Jo...damn, that kid got out lucky.

They seem to be doing a somewhat better job with Bash and his family - sure, he moved to Avonlea and the Cuthberts were friendly to him, but others were not. Then they warmed up to him and he got married, but families like the Barrys still stayed away. Then everyone pulled together and was supportive when Mary got sick, but Marilla still got grief from the store clerk for daring to care for a black child. They haven't been able to make racism magically go away, and that's how it should be. I don't know if they will find similar success with the Ka'kwet story.

I know what you mean, but I'm divided on my feelings about it. I'm glad we didn't have to watch Prissy in a loveless marriage with awful Mr. Phillips, but at the same time, I agree with you that it would've been more realistic if the wedding had taken place.

I like the way they're handling Bash and his family in the larger picture. The show is managing to communicate the prejudices of the times (and of our current times, sadly).

• Love 2