Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: CB Likes Lainey

Man, Brett Dier has the worst luck with love triangles lol. The guy cannot win! He's really had time to perfect that vacant, wistful, pining look.

So their idea of "aging up" Barry was to throw him in a huge blazer over his high school wardrobe? Isn't he already a doctor by now? At least they tried with Erica.

Assuming Adam Goldberg was out of high school by the 90s, is Schooled just a collection of loose memories that didn't make the cut for The Goldbergs? Was CB his middle school teacher or something? I didn't realize CB was based off a real person. I guess Erica is the only made up character, right?

Coach Mellor is such a sweet man. I love the actor's commitment to both his weird idiosyncrasies and his softer side. By the end, I thought there might've been a little spark between him and the other teacher.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

ssuming Adam Goldberg was out of high school by the 90s, i

Adam was born in April of 1976 so he actually didn’t start high school until the 90s.

• Love 7
(edited)

Isn't there like ten years or so between Adam and his brothers?  I'm assuming they didn't even go to high school together.

Edited by flyingdi
On 5/1/2019 at 9:28 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Man, Brett Dier has the worst luck with love triangles lol. The guy cannot win! He's really had time to perfect that vacant, wistful, pining look.

So their idea of "aging up" Barry was to throw him in a huge blazer over his high school wardrobe? Isn't he already a doctor by now? At least they tried with Erica.

Assuming Adam Goldberg was out of high school by the 90s, is Schooled just a collection of loose memories that didn't make the cut for The Goldbergs? Was CB his middle school teacher or something? I didn't realize CB was based off a real person. I guess Erica is the only made up character, right?

Coach Mellor is such a sweet man. I love the actor's commitment to both his weird idiosyncrasies and his softer side. By the end, I thought there might've been a little spark between him and the other teacher.

I haven't finished the episode yet, but I don't think if they aren't really aging up Lainey, that they need to age up Erica or Barry.  In fact, I thought the Erica thing was over the top and unnecessary.  Lainey looks pretty much the same and they don't seem to be doing anything to her to make her older for this show.  

• Love 5

Hackers is one of my favorite movies OF ALL TIME.  Loved all the references to it.

And it’s not at all far-fetched for Principal John to think the dongs were only on the one computer.  We were such noobs then.

• Love 4

People really just did not get computers in the 90s, its hilarious. Although, I know plenty of people who still have no real idea that when you hit send, it actually sends...

So Barry is back? Is he a doctor now? Have we just gone totally off the rails as to real Barry and his life? Or is he just here to give him and Lainey some closure?

• Love 4
(edited)

I almost find it kind of creepy that Adam Goldberg has written two TV shows now that are filled with his real life teachers as characters.  I fondly remember some of my teachers, but he seems to have had intimate relationships with all of them, to the point of writing them into his shows.  He couldn't even get his whole family into the show (he had to change Eric to Erica).  

I rarely even think about my high school years, although I'm not making a living from them.  I'm guessing his family was the type to have the teachers over for supper (yum, shrimp parm), and that's nice, I guess, although we haven't been shown this.  The whole thing just seems strange to me.

Oh, and the theme song says someday we will say "those were the days".  Yeah, I never say that.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 4
(edited)

This show is actually fun if you suspend reality and believe that some girl who only had one year of college, dropped out and is suddenly working as a teacher !  

I think the woman who  plays Lainey (sp) is the weakest  link  in the show . She has horrible diction and can’t narrate with any enthusiasm.

i actually never got why this character was such a big deal in the first place to the point that the family and Barry went into major depression over her leaving . She is just blah . 

If the point of this show was to go into the 90’s as the Goldbergs age out ,  I don’t get why they couldn’t go into the future with the actress four years later with a degree .

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 5
On 5/4/2019 at 7:25 PM, rmontro said:

I almost find it kind of creepy that Adam Goldberg has written two TV shows now that are filled with his real life teachers as characters.  I fondly remember some of my teachers, but he seems to have had intimate relationships with all of them, to the point of writing them into his shows.  He couldn't even get his whole family into the show (he had to change Eric to Erica).  

I rarely even think about my high school years, although I'm not making a living from them.  I'm guessing his family was the type to have the teachers over for supper (yum, shrimp parm), and that's nice, I guess, although we haven't been shown this.  The whole thing just seems strange to me.

Oh, and the theme song says someday we will say "those were the days".  Yeah, I never say that.

I'm sure you're like me and went to a large high school. For us it wouldn't make sense to know and remember all of our teachers. I think that their school was a small private school though so they probably had a lot more interaction with those teachers and knew them better. Plus, I think they interacted with those teachers over several years. It'd be like a small town school where K-12 is on one campus.

As for the Erica thing, I read that it was the network telling them to change one of the siblings to a girl and that's how Eric became Erica.

• Love 12