Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E02: Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool

• Start Topic

This Week: The Gang try to "save" the remake of Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. Wait, that was The Simpsons and Mel Gibson. Nope, this is about the neutering of the Thunder Gun franchise.

Good episode about toxic fandom. I think South Park was better this week, but IASIP did good with the Gang trying to fix their beloved franchise and the gratuitous dong-hanging. Also, the guys shitting on Dee's moves to fit into the bigger moments. As usual, it turns out the Gang helped contribute to the franchise's reboot by watching past entries off pirate sites. And when they try to "solve" the problem, they actually succeed in bringing back the old maschimo of John Thundergun . . . but they'd rather watch the movie online than go to the theater and pay for it. I will say, "To the sewers!" is a nice rallying cry from Charlie.

Next Week: "Dee Day." May God have mercy on us all.

The Gang finds themselves in the middle of a focus group after a screening of Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool.

OMG! That was Dolph Lundgren! Great ep! Loved the callback to their adventures while going to see the previous one, then it turning out they watched a pirated copy, just like the newest one.

Wow! I recorded this on my DVR for the live airing and got and unbleeped 'fuck you' from Charlie. Even though he didn't get anything in the movie.

I sort of did a focus group in the late 90s! I don't know who called me up, but they asked if I wanted to watch a sitcom and answer some questions. It was channel 0 on my cable box. So they called me up to make sure I was ready to watch and then a half hour later. I don't remember much, but it was an office sitcom with Andy Dick in it. I had a blast. I took notes and everything.

I totally agree with the derision about the PG-13 rating. Die Hard was R. Then the last one, he couldn't even say his classic line. I'm skeptical that piracy is killing R movies. PG-13 was around long before piracy.

I'm surprised the movie pulled back on male nudity. You'd think that would be more equalizing. I agreed with Dennis there.

Not surprising that they wore down the moderator.

I don't go to movies or pirate them either. Between Netflix, Hulu, and cable with HBO and Showtime, for what I'm paying, $17 for 2 hours+ just isn't going to happen.

It's almost like Sherlock Holmes when fans went nuts when Doyle killed him off.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:04 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I sort of did a focus group in the late 90s! I don't know who called me up, but they asked if I wanted to watch a sitcom and answer some questions. It was channel 0 on my cable box. So they called me up to make sure I was ready to watch and then a half hour later. I don't remember much, but it was an office sitcom with Andy Dick in it. I had a blast. I took notes and everything.

Was it "Newsradio"?  Did it also have Stephen Root, Dave Foley (from Kids in the Hall), Phil Hartman, and Maura Tierney?

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I've done a few focus groups for TV shows, but they seemed to be focused on the commercials instead of the lame sitcom pilot. There was one time I reviewed The Book of Daniel, but they ignored my input.

I wonder what the other focus groups had to say about Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool?

The gang's joy when they realized they were going to watch Thunder Gun, followed by the poor soul's frustration at the group, is just so Sunny. Those writing decisions never come across poorly, because the casting is excellent across the board. I really love this show.

This episode explains these grams. I don't think we knew Dolph Lungren was Thunder Gun before this, did we? I only remember his name being specified during the episode where Mac and Charlie were writing a script, where he was a dog who smelled crime.

• Love 2