Type keyword(s) to search

The Bake Off Technical Primer

• Start Topic

Since it's been coming up in the last few episode threads, what are recipes and techniques that the contestants should know before going on GBBO? What other tips or research would you think is valuable for most contestants? 

The fact that people STILL don't know how to make a genoise in season 10 is shocking to me. That's ridiculous. I was mighty shocked about the lack of ability on the making of choux (one of the easiest things to make). Frankly the second you get cast on this show, you should absolutely already know how to make these basics and/or brush up so you could be confident that at least that part of it would be fine. Also basic jam making since that comes up a lot too.

• Love 3

Why would you even apply if you did not already know the basic techniques/recipes that have been used almost every single season?  Choux, 2 or 3 kinds of meringues, the various different sponges, both with and without fat, and basic bread making techniques at a minimum. 

It's like when people on Survivor can't swim or those on The Amazing Race can't drive stick.  Why would you bother?

• Love 5

Pastry!  Full, rough, hot water crust, sweet crust, you name it. They should know them ALL and be able to make them almost automatically. There’s always a pastry week. 

But, yeah, the fact that so few of these bakers knew how to make choux pastry (a recipe I learned at 11 from my mom’s Better Homes and Garden cookbook) is ridiculous. 

• Love 5