Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Marriages Don't Break Up On Account Of Murder -- It's Just A Symptom That Something Else Is Wrong

• Start Topic

Beth Ann recruits Sheila to help pull off her faux diagnosis, taking her already far-fetched plan another step too far. As Simone and Tommy arrange their European rendezvous, a revelation may foil their plans. Taylor reaches out to Jade in hopes of helping Eli battle addiction, but his newfound riches have Jade only seeing green.

Dropping on Thursday, October 3, 2019 on CBS All Access.

😮 WOW. 

So there are just 2 more episodes?

It’s kind of interesting that the 1960s and 1980s issues would have been dealt with so much more rationally and compassionately in the present, and yet the present-day drama is no less crazy. 

Great show!

Would having an unseen Sheila hand the telephone receiver to Beth Ann on the front porch have been the director/Lucy Liu’s call, or would that have been in the script?

I’m a bit surprised Tommy’s mother didn’t want to believe that the tattoo was indicative of a youthful crush rather than a full-blown affair. And it could still be spun that way by Tommy and Simone. But. Oy. How much y’all wanna bet that Tommy just got tattooed with AIDS-infected needles?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Maybe it's because I'm currently loopy from cough medicine, but I gasped at a lot of things in this episode: Taylor turning to Duke for help; Naomi seeing Tommy's tattoo of Simone; and, last but certainly not least, Beth Ann learning Rob plans to marry April after Beth Ann's "death".

It's nice to see Taylor getting wise to some of Jade's shenanigans, and I want to see what Taylor does next. But her freeing Duke could create more problems than it solves.

I knew that April wasn't getting an abortion, because the preview for this episode featured April telling Rob she was pregnant.  Sheila calling out Beth Ann's plans as crazy was great!
I've never wanted Rob more dead than I did when April revealed Rob had proposed to her. I don't care which woman does the deed: Beth Ann, April, Sheila, Rob's secretary! 
At the very least I think this episode killed any chance for Beth Ann and Rob to reunite, and for that I'm happy.

I felt sadder about Simone dumping Tommy than I would have expected earlier this season.  Also, Simone does not seem the kind of person who wants her man to have a tattoo of her! But I had forgotten about the tattoo parlor by the time Naomi was in Tommy's hospital room, and I thought Tommy was going to mumble something about loving Simone in front of his mom. This was better.

I can't believe we are already on episode 8.  This is a fun series and I will miss it when it is over.

Things have got real real fast.  No matter what Beth  Ann does it is never enough to keep Rob.  She even manages to finally push Sheila too far which is the real tragedy in all this,.  The scene with the two of them in the doctors office (Shiela's nephew which I thought was funny)  "I was wondering if there was a cancer you could recommend."  The whole conversation was hilarious actually.  It was sad really sad when Beth Ann and Sheila had a fight and now they aren't friends anymore.  

Taylor finally getting proactive is nice to see.  My major problem with her story is too much was happening to her but now she is finally taking action.   

I was sad that Simone dumped Tommy but it is understandable.  Its odd that so many people trying to do the right thing in this.  Simone wanting to take care of Karl and Karl wanting to let Simone have her fun with Tommy and Tommy wanting to be the man Simone needs.  It is all going to blow up in their faces so big and so fast.  

• Love 1

I know the opening credits all show women killing men, but man I wish “Jade” would be the 2019 victim. (I hope we find out all the dirt Duke has on her, including her real name. Bet she’s got a long history of scamming people.) I don’t think I’ve seen a character this manipulative since Delia on Ryan’s Hope. All through the episode all I could think was “you heinous bitch!”. My guess though is that it will actually end up being Jade killing Duke.

Simone continues to get all the best lines.

WTF was up with the gossipy doctor’s wife/office nurse? HIPAA didn’t exist then, but it was still extremely unethical for her to talk, even to the patient’s wife.

• Love 1

If Beth Ann kills Rob, it would be a gender-switch on that tired old crime show trope where the detective declares about the killer: “If he couldn’t have her, nobody could.”

Anyway, it now seems pretty clear that Beth Ann has had a few marbles loose at least since she left the gate open and her daughter got killed by a car.  

Suggesting to Sheila that she would have to pick out a coffin for her little boy was not really forgivable. Ever. It reminded me of being in a waiting room for a well-baby checkup with my firstborn when a mother came in with a four-year-old who had been bit in the face by a dog; the mother turned to me and said, “Wait until it happens to your daughter!” WTH?

Sheila and Beth Ann are finished.

———

I guess 2 episodes is not enough time for Tommy to manifest any symptoms if he got AIDS from the tattoo parlor.

Maybe the final episode will include flash forwards?

It seems like this is a one-season story. 

Maybe a second season would be a different house, with different characters, but the same actors?  

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe a second season would be a different house, with different characters, but the same actors?  

Well if we don't get to the murders until the last episode, next season could be about aftermath. Will the deaths be ruled accidental, could someone else be arrested for the crime? I could see potential for 2nd season, but also could be cool to have a whole new characters for another season.

I really like how Simone and Karl really care about each other. Last episode Eli was competing with Rob for being biggest jerk, but Rob comes out on top of that competition again!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I read somewhere this was going to be an anthology series.   The same basic theme of why women kill but for different reasons.   This season dealt with infidelity but that isn’t the only reason women kill.   Next season may take on women killing their bosses or something.  (Not an actual theme)

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1

Okay, first let me say that although I agreed with Sheila calling Beth Ann out on her craziness, it still upset me that they fell out, even the detail that Sheila wasn't present for April's phone call - Sheila's husband was. I could just imagine the gut punch Beth Ann felt in that moment and knew she needed a hug, yet Sheila wasn't there to offer her one. How lonely, again, she must feel! To know your husband is waiting for you to die so he can marry another woman? And she's carrying his child? I wouldn't pass out in the street. I'm busting up in the house and all hell would break loose. THEN I would pass out.

• Love 1