Type keyword(s) to search

Succession endgame

scrb
  • Start Topic

Hopefully won’t be for at least a couple more seasons after this one.

But I noticed people talking about who ends up on the “iron throne.”

Will it end with one “chosen one” taking over, with or without Logan’s blessing?

Will Logan be alive or incapacitated in some way?

Some times they hint that Logan is declining, with the medication Kendall had to manage for him.  But in S02E06, the kids are wondering if Logan is sleeping with Rhea, with Roman comparing their coupling to a rhino and a hummingbird, speculating that they could only do one specific position for her not to be crushed.  Of course Logan boasted in season one that he could still swing the big dick needed to run the company.

Despite his age, it seems his illness in season 1 seem to have been a device to show the ambitions of the kids.  Not just Kendall but Roman and Shiv had strong opinions on who should run the company when Logan was sick.

It remains to be seen if Logan’s health will become a factor agin before the series ends.  It would be anti climatic if Logan gives up his seat due to health rather than him deciding or the successor just taking it.

One of the podcasts suggested that Logan would never give it up, so the kids would have to plot together to take it from him.

I mentioned the “Iron Throne” in one of my posts, mostly to highlight the similarities between the two series. There is a prize, head of Waystar Royco, and various players running their schemes and strategies to get what they think they want. Fun! 

Logan  tried to sacrifice his first-born, er second-born son but Kendall turned it around.

OK, after 2 seasons, it would be way too early to knock out one of the Roy children, unless they only planned to do one more season.

But Kendall threw it all back on Logan so what does that mean for Logan?  The show didn't really take off until Logan got out of his hospital bed, about 4 episodes into season 1.

Logan being out of play would be a huge loss this early in the series.  

Plus, as Jesse Armstrong says, the Roys are in trouble with the proxy battle because of what Kendall revealed.  In fact, Kendall may not have been enough as a sacrifice in the first place, since a big investor said they wanted Logan to step down.

So does the family lose control over Waystar?  It would be incredible if they somehow kept control over it.

I'm way late to the party- just binged the series twice in a row.  

But I don't see Logan ever voluntarily retiring and handing over the reins without being forced to by severely impaired health.  

He just enjoys it too much. He'd promise anything to anyone with no more intention of actually giving it to them than the man on the moon. He's serious about his business but his relationships with his children are a sick game- they are no more than pawns to be moved around to provoke someone or something else.  And they're all handicapped by having been raised thinking that was normal. 

• Love 1

I know there isn't much activity in this thread. Maybe not a lot of interest? Maybe too early to speculate? 
But early on I felt the "dark horse" would be the biggest bumbling fool (or so we are being lead to think) of them all....Greg Hirsch. It haspl probably been mentioned in multiple threads here but I have to get this off my chest!

He has proven to be smarter than we think, making those copies; he lurks in the shadows; nobody seems to think twice when he is around. The "Oh it's just Greg!" response. Grandpa hates his bro, Logan. That bad blood runs deep and if that family is filled with anything, it's bad blood. Love? Sure, I will say those siblings "love" each other, even love dear old Dad (and are they desperate for his love!) but toss the coin and on the other side, they loathe each other. Greg has caught onto all the dynamics while playing stupid the whole way. A good ole' boy. 

Kendall is going to destroy himself. Shiv is going be destroyed under the weight of her Father's empty promises. Roman is going implode when his ego comes back to drag him to his knees. Logan will eat a bullet before he does prison time. 

It'll be Greg in the end, boarding the private jet, after his first "shareholders" meeting, or whateverthefuck, where he has his Alexis Carrington-Colby-Dexter moment and fires Gerri, Tom and any other Logan/Roy family bootlicker. 

The end.
That family is so fun to watch and their downfall will be even more delicious. 

Edited by The Hound Lives
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, The Hound Lives said:

I know there isn't much activity in this thread. Maybe not a lot of interest? Maybe too early to speculate? 
But early on I felt the "dark horse" would be the biggest bumbling fool (or so we are being lead to think) of them all....Greg Hirsch. It haspl probably been mentioned in multiple threads here but I have to get this off my chest!

He has proven to be smarter than we think, making those copies; he lurks in the shadows; nobody seems to think twice when he is around. The "Oh it's just Greg!" response. Grandpa hates his bro, Logan. That bad blood runs deep and if that family is filled with anything, it's bad blood. Love? Sure, I will say those siblings "love" each other, even love dear old Dad (and are they desperate for his love!) but toss the coin and on the other side, they loathe each other. Greg has caught onto all the dynamics while playing stupid the whole way. A good ole' boy. 

Kendall is going to destroy himself. Shiv is going be destroyed under the weight of her Father's empty promises. Roman is going implode when his ego comes back to drag him to his knees. Logan will eat a bullet before he does prison time. 

It'll be Greg in the end, boarding the private jet, after his first "shareholders" meeting, or whateverthefuck, where he has his Alexis Carrington-Colby-Dexter moment and fires Gerri, Tom and any other Logan/Roy family bootlicker. 

The end.
That family is so fun to watch and their downfall will be even more delicious. 

I'm kind of on board with this theory.  It's always been a leap of faith that Greg would have been so readily and easily embraced into the family, so it has to be for a very specific reason.  And when he walked away from grandpa's money, I thought it was foreshadowing that he would end up better off in the end.  

• Like 1
On 10/18/2021 at 2:37 PM, The Hound Lives said:

But early on I felt the "dark horse" would be the biggest bumbling fool (or so we are being lead to think) of them all....Greg Hirsch.

I could see this. His grandfather was around at (part of?) the founding of Waystar Royco, and still seems to own shares and sit on its board. I think the key to taking Logan down will be something from way back in the past. Ewan could provide it. For similar reason, I think Connor also has a part to play. Connor is way older than the other kids and almost certainly knows things about his father and his past that they don't. But, like Greg, people kind of dismiss him (in part at his own request).

• Useful 1
On 10/19/2021 at 10:37 AM, larapu2000 said:

I'm kind of on board with this theory.  It's always been a leap of faith that Greg would have been so readily and easily embraced into the family, so it has to be for a very specific reason.  And when he walked away from grandpa's money, I thought it was foreshadowing that he would end up better off in the end.  

I’m surprised this thread hasn’t had a new post.  In any case, I agree.  Greg really DOES feel like a “come from behind” type and could very well oust the siblings.  He’s weird, sure, and perhaps neurodivergent, but often these weirdos are geniuses and perhaps he could go far.  Roman is also weird (and perhaps also neurodivergent), but I think he was repressed so much not only by Logan, but his siblings, that he never figured out how to be his own person in a way that could make the company really work.  

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 2

Tom has been very tired. There is so much going on and Tom needs to be in TopForm. Needs a boost. That boost is more cocaine. Greg can’t get it for him, probably because he doesn’t even try. He asked Kendall. Kendall is able to hook him up because he needs Tom on his side. Tom overdoses. Kendall has now contributed to a second death. He finds out about the overdose right as he successfully kills the merger with Gojo. The end.
I just want Kendall to be haunted forever and ever. 

Greg weirdly seems too obvious. But I can see Jessie Armstrong the satirist being amused about a tall white guy failing upward. Each season Greg rises a little more. He seems to have a nose for the winning side too.

What I really want to see is how the kids end up. I think they are a surprisingly tight family and will ultimately stick together once the game is over.

Here’s the thing about this show that I think I love them for. It’s like they saw the popularity of the “anti-heroes” of the other greats, and thought how can we create truly deplorable people.