Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: A Breath of Fresh Air; Rebirth

I hated everything that had to do with Korra and the gang, what a bunch of A-holes. I am excited about the new big bads. And Zuko!

I must say I'm surprised the show actually allowed people to blame Korra for, well, anything really. I still think it stinks she's barely taking any of the blame for a lot of people being displaced in Republic City. I was hoping she'd realize how high handed her decision to merge the material world and the spirit world was after seeing the damage it did, but no such luck.

Also not loving how she bullies people more and more as the show progresses.

Screw Tenzin too. How selfish is he? Does he feel anything for the people who had no say in the changes he's so happy about? Does he care at all people are suffering? Doesn't seem like he gives a damn at all. I used to like the character, but now he's just as arrogant as Korra.

Loved the first episdode, hated the second one. Don't really think that a new born air bender is going to be able to take on skilled benders though. But other than that mindal quibble, I like the 4 elements joining forces aspect of the new villains. Zuko! Enough said.

I thought it was kind of short sighted for Tenzin to be so adamant about the new Air Benders learning "their" culture.  I'm amazed he didn't take into consideration that these people might not want to be an Air Bender.   Having Aang as a father and being a minority nation has messed Tenzin up quite a bit.  His best bet would have been to install a school for those who wish to learn more about their new bending skills.

Is it weird if I say my favorite part was Korra and Asami's conversation in the car? Because during that whole thing, it was obvious that Mike and Bryan are as desperate as the rest of us to just forget the whole love triangle thing ever happened. Plus, their portraying Mako as the only one immature enough to still be uncomfortable in how it ended up was a great acknowledgement of how much they've screwed him up with this misbegotten storyline.

Also, I love how much the season is taking a "now what?" approach. The world merging made for a great uplifting ending, but it wasn't the end for these people, and now they have to figure out the real logistics of how to deal with the new way of the world. Tenzin's hugely idealized view of the new airbenders being willing to leave their whole lives behind also plays into that. The show's basically turned into Reality Ensues: The Series.

• Love 2
(edited)

One thing I did appreciate is that Korra did not try to flirt with the slacker to get him to join the airbenders. Her yelling at him was not in any way good, but I like the fact that no one would even suggest Korra do anything like flirting to make the guys want to join.

Edited by jennifda
(edited)

One thing I did appreciate is that Korra did not try to flirt with the slacker to get him to join the airbenders. Her yelling at him was not in any way good, but I like the fact that no one would even suggest Korra do anything like flirting to make the guys want to join.

Isn't that what she always does?  Last book, she threatened a judge.

Is it weird if I say my favorite part was Korra and Asami's conversation in the car? Because during that whole thing, it was obvious that Mike and Bryan are as desperate as the rest of us to just forget the whole love triangle thing ever happened. Plus, their portraying Mako as the only one immature enough to still be uncomfortable in how it ended up was a great acknowledgement of how much they've screwed him up with this misbegotten storyline.

Also, I love how much the season is taking a "now what?" approach. The world merging made for a great uplifting ending, but it wasn't the end for these people, and now they have to figure out the real logistics of how to deal with the new way of the world. Tenzin's hugely idealized view of the new airbenders being willing to leave their whole lives behind also plays into that. The show's basically turned into Reality Ensues: The Series.

I like the Korra/Asami interactions too, they seem to bring out the best in each other unlike last book for Korra when she was stuck with Mako and her attitude got worse and worse until they broke up.

I hated everything that had to do with Korra and the gang, what a bunch of A-holes. I am excited about the new big bads. And Zuko!

I must say I'm surprised the show actually allowed people to blame Korra for, well, anything really. I still think it stinks she's barely taking any of the blame for a lot of people being displaced in Republic City. I was hoping she'd realize how high handed her decision to merge the material world and the spirit world was after seeing the damage it did, but no such luck.

Also not loving how she bullies people more and more as the show progresses.

Screw Tenzin too. How selfish is he? Does he feel anything for the people who had no say in the changes he's so happy about? Does he care at all people are suffering? Doesn't seem like he gives a damn at all. I used to like the character, but now he's just as arrogant as Korra.

The show already did that last season for Korra when that little girl in the last book called her the worst Avatar ever.

Korra just never seems to learn at all and this show never seems to deal with the fallout: Amon/Equalists brushed under the rug, temporarily losing her powers only to gain everything including airbending, Avatar State, and other powers that Aang gave her, and then Unalaq/Vaatu Spirit World affecting RC, Korra and the others just leave to the next place.

Losing her connection to her past selves has no effect on her nor did her choice to keep the Spirit World open, it's just a small bragging right that Korra does at the beginning of the next Book.

As for Tenzin, that was just dumb, he should know that considering his airbending tribe almost got completely wiped out.  In Book 1, he seemed to be a wise teacher and each book has diminished that.

Edited by FAU
(edited)

I was overall pleased with the opener, but agree that it was more than presumptuous for Tenzin to believe that these new found airbenders would be willing to leave their homes, families, and lifestyles to join the Air Nation and follow their customs.  Even those who want to join, I don't think it's going to be quite the same as it was when Aang was growing up.  I think at some point he's going to have to realize this and go from there.  Korra's in-your-face approach?  Typical.  She's always been brash, and I don't expect that to change overnight.

Definitely enjoyed the talk between Asami and Korra.  Asami is pretty much my favorite character from the new bunch, and it's nice that regardless of their history with Mako, they are able to put that aside and remain friends.  For the love of everything, I hope that they stay away from the romance this time around.  I'm probably one of the few people that didn't hate the budding romance from ATLA, but Bryke has fumbled the ball so badly with Korra, that I would just rather they stay away from it, or keep it delegated to minor characters.  

The villains from all 4 elements, even if I'm all whut?? on the head villain gaining airbending abilities, and is already bending on Tenzin's level?  Bring it!  

And how can I forget...ZUKO!

Edited by FlamingWench79

Korra's in-your-face approach?  Typical.  She's always been brash, and I don't expect that to change overnight.

Or at all in 3 books.

Definitely enjoyed the talk between Asami and Korra.  Asami is pretty much my favorite character from the new bunch, and it's nice that regardless of their history with Mako, they are able to put that aside and remain friends.  For the love of everything, I hope that they stay away from the romance this time around.  I'm probably one of the few people that didn't hate the budding romance from ATLA, but Bryke has fumbled the ball so badly with Korra, that I would just rather they stay away from it, or keep it delegated to minor characters.

Just stick to friendships and sibling relationships, they were good at that.

The best thing about Korra and Asami is that they sort of balance each other out character wise, so it makes their interactions more enjoyable.

I actually didn't mind how Korra dealt with the basement slacker for the simple fact that he really was that unmotivated, to the point that even his own mother agreed with how he was handled (and even tried to join in)!

I like Kai, the new boy, though he needs to stop stealing.

The new villains seem incredibly bad-ass, especially the Waterbender who bent without arms!

I actually didn't mind how Korra dealt with the basement slacker for the simple fact that he really was that unmotivated, to the point that even his own mother agreed with how he was handled (and even tried to join in)!

I like Kai, the new boy, though he needs to stop stealing.

The new villains seem incredibly bad-ass, especially the Waterbender who bent without arms!

I'm not sure there was a way to handle him, he was a lost cause so it was just a waste of time when they could be looking for better candidates to recruit in a way that they won't have to force them to join like Tenzin and Korra wanted.