Type keyword(s) to search

I Know This Much Is True By Wally Lamb

• Start Topic

I started reading this book back in 2015 and stopped about 500 pages in. I picked it back up a few weeks ago after seeing a promo for the HBO adaptation and I'm close to the part where I left off half a decade ago...I'm enjoying this more the second time around and I'm determined to finish before the series begins.

I read it when it first came out, and the book is still on my bookshelf...I may try to re-read it. I remember skipping over all of the italicized stuff which was, I think, the grandfather's memoir (?).

For me, though I have enjoyed most of Wally Lamb's books, he'll never top "She's Come Undone". It's my absolute #1 book of all time, and I'm sorta glad there has never been a TV or movie adaptation, b/c I just don't think the story can really be told any other way than on the printed page.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Liamsmom617 said:

I read it when it first came out, and the book is still on my bookshelf...I may try to re-read it. I remember skipping over all of the italicized stuff which was, I think, the grandfather's memoir (?).

For me, though I have enjoyed most of Wally Lamb's books, he'll never top "She's Come Undone". It's my absolute #1 book of all time, and I'm sorta glad there has never been a TV or movie adaptation, b/c I just don't think the story can really be told any other way than on the printed page.

Same ! One of my favorite books of all time. I also skipped much of the grandfather’s memoirs part of “I know This Much is True” but otherwise adored that one too.

• Love 2

@Liamsmom617 and @DangerousMinds, go back and read the Sicilian grandfather's memoirs. I found them a terrific novel-within-a-novel that tells a powerful story of immigrants around the turn of the century. You may rage at Domenico Tempesta's old-world sexism, as Nedra Frank did, but you won't be bored. Nedra's footnotes are a great touch--she kindly explained to the reader what "Fungool!" means.

• Love 1

Pulled this off the shelf a few days ago loving it and forcing myself to slog through gramps’ memoir.

this book is amazing.  Dom’s anger, guilt, grief, and fear come through page after page. Wally has brought his characters to life not subtly but just short of beating you over the head with their dysfunctionality. I ache for Dom.  Sometimes an asshole yes, but no one other than Dessa was ever there for him.  Not ma, not Ray, not Thomas, not Joy.

• Love 1

Does anyone have some insight as to the symbolism in the book of monkeys and rabbits?

rabbit: concettina has a harelip and is referred to as a rabbit face; she refers to Thomas as her little bunny rabbit; Properina slaughters rabbits and cuts one in half to make twins

monkey: the uncle has a pet monkey he is quite attached to; Prosperina is repeatedly referred to as having a monkey face; Concettina calls Dom her spider monkey

is this some metaphor for good & evil?

Or ???

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 8:27 PM, GreekGeek said:

@Liamsmom617 and @DangerousMinds, go back and read the Sicilian grandfather's memoirs. I found them a terrific novel-within-a-novel that tells a powerful story of immigrants around the turn of the century. You may rage at Domenico Tempesta's old-world sexism, as Nedra Frank did, but you won't be bored. Nedra's footnotes are a great touch--she kindly explained to the reader what "Fungool!" means.

Boy, old Domenico was a piece of work. Someone noted in the episode thread that his "book" could have been more concise but I would argue that having it not be concise was part of the point. Domenico had a high opinion of himself, so more of his words would be a great thing to him. I think Domenico's book did a great job of fleshing out Concettina's character.

Edited by Maysie
20 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

Does anyone have some insight as to the symbolism in the book of monkeys and rabbits?

rabbit: concettina has a harelip and is referred to as a rabbit face; she refers to Thomas as her little bunny rabbit; Properina slaughters rabbits and cuts one in half to make twins

monkey: the uncle has a pet monkey he is quite attached to; Prosperina is repeatedly referred to as having a monkey face; Concettina calls Dom her spider monkey

is this some metaphor for good & evil?

Or ???

I think rabbits are associated with gentleness and vulnerability, which certainly applies to both Concettina and Thomas. The twin rabbits also suggest that Thomas and Dominick are one and the same, though Dominick denies it.

Monkeys are much more active and aggressive, which both Dominick and Prosperine are. Domenico loathes Prosperine because she reminds him of Filippa, his brother's pet monkey. 

Shmoop has further insights into the use and symbolism of monkeys in the book.

• Love 2

We have someone with schizophrenia in the family so I bought the book when it first came out with trepidation.  So many writers use schizophrenia as a stereotype for any character who is violent or to create fear for the reader.  I trusted Wally Lamb though, because I had read "She's Come Undone" and knew he was good.  I wasn't disappointed. Lamb seemed to know exactly how frustrating it is for family members who are trying to get help for their loved ones and he does a fabulous job portraying the horror the sick person goes through losing their ability to separate reality from hallucinations, the fear and paranoia, and the constant rawness of their emotions.  He got it so right the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill gave him an award.  Now, if we could just devote a little money to finding a cure, that would be great. It's the number one disabler of young people, it fills our streets with homeless people and our prisons with sick people who can't get care, yet we spend more money on dental carries research.