Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: There's No Crying in Murder

• Start Topic

Beth Ann’s budding friendship with April leaves her feeling conflicted, just as she is beginning to win back Rob’s attention. Simone and Tommy get stuck in a precarious situation, leaving Simone to call on an unexpected source -- Karl -- for help. With Taylor out of town, Eli and Jade’s relationship enters new territory when she helps him with his script.

Dropping on CBS All Access on Thursday, September 12, 2019.

"If he tells you that he's got to work Tuesday, I will vomit and you will have to mop this floor up all over again." I love Sheila!
It appears that Rob and April are dunzo, but the season's only half over so we know there's more story to come from them. I wonder if April's going to learn she's pregnant? Beth Ann has wanted to be a mom since she was a little girl, and then she became one and then her daughter died, and I wonder how Beth Ann's friendship with April would go if April got pregnant.

I'm happy Karl knows about Tommy! I also enjoyed seeing Christine Estabrook (Mrs. Huber from Desperate Housewives, among other roles) as Joyce.

Jade clearly has some issues just below the surface, and I'm assuming her suggestions for Eli's script were semi-autobiographical. I'm glad that Eli didn't unrealistically manage to finish his script by the deadline, as I thought was going to happen; pills can only do so much!
I've never been in a throuple, but I'd think for it to work each person would have to be OK with the possibility of the other two sometimes being alone together, or else why bother doing a throuple?

• Love 6

All three women are in unfulfilling marriages but not willing to either seek marriage counseling (unless we count Sheila as a counselor for Beth Ann) or opt for divorce.
All three want their husbands to be something other than what they are --which never works.
This does not sound like it would be an interesting show, but I am mesmerized, 
in no small part because I'm a sucker for the wardrobe and the music.

• Love 3

Another great episode.   Once again the 1960s and 1980s stories are standout.   Loved how the show mixed in Que Sera Sera to the stories.  It fit in well.  I really love how much Beth Ann really likes April and that she was right there for what looks like the end of Rob and April's relationship.

Also really the like Simone and Tommy stuff.  Loved that Karl doesn't really didn’t care that Simone is having her affairs he just wants to stay in a marriage with someone he likes spending time with which for him is Simone but for her that isn't enough anymore.

Once again the current era storyline was kind of boring.  I did like that Jade has become Eli's muse and that he has finally been able to write.  But add drugs to the mix and you have a very dangerous cocktail.  The story still isn't as interesting as the other two but I do like that Eli seems to be closer to Jade then he is with Taylor.

Also adding what all three women wanted as kids was a good place holder.  None of the women have what they dreamed of having as children.  At least not the way that makes them happy.

Que Sera Sera.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have no understanding of what Beth Ann is doing with April.  What the hell is the point, what is the end game?  She's falling in friendship love with April? It makes no damn sense to me.

I don't know if more people crave friendship than they do marriage partners, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Regardless, April had been a lot more fun for Beth Ann than Rob
—but then, yeah, right at that moment when Rob was going to be sharing himself with Beth Ann, she chose April
—I guess Beth Ann would rather see a friend's singing debut than go to a sporting event?
—or displaced loyalty?
—or Beth Ann is taking the act of living vicariously through April to the next level?

Isn't Tommy eventually going notice some really gorgeous teen girl?

But in this episode Simone wailed that she wanted a man who would kill another man out of jealousy over her.

When does the killing commence?

I'm starting to dread it.

Edited by shapeshifter
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know if more people crave friendship than they do marriage partners, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Regardless, April had been a lot more fun for Beth Ann than Rob
—but then, yeah, right at that moment when Rob was going to be sharing himself with Beth Ann, she chose April
—I guess Beth Ann would rather see a friend's singing debut than go to a sporting event?
—or displaced loyalty?
—or Beth Ann is taking the act of living vicariously through April to the next level?

From the look on Beth Ann’s face just before she pretended to Rob that she was sick, I’m guessing she was feeling really sorry for April because she and Rob had both bailed on April’s singing debut. She initially befriended April so she could find out exactly what was going on and try to break it up, but she’s come to genuinely like her and has been enjoying her company a great deal more than Rob’s. Not surprising since Rob is such a complete tool.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have no understanding of what Beth Ann is doing with April.  What the hell is the point, what is the end game?  She's falling in friendship love with April? It makes no damn sense to me.

My understanding is that she realized that this singing even was a big deal for April and if Rob didn’t show up she could finally convince April that he was bad for her.  It’s the whole conversation she had with Shiela about the dress.  What if a stranger told you the dress was ugly?  What if a good friend kindly told you that dress might not be your best color?

i don’t think Beth Ann thought Rob would skip the World Series to see April regardless of the situation.  I mean sports. 

• Love 1

One thing I really liked in this episode was that although the endangered dog named "Teacup" did indeed turn out to be the opposite of a "teacup" version of a breed WRT to size and reputation*  
instead of having Eli do a stereotypical comedic bit of being shocked and frightened when he first encounters Teacup,
we had a pretty surprisingly adorable shot of Eli carrying the Doberman in a cradle-like manner.

* Teacup is a very large Dobermann Pinscher, a dog breed which "are often stereotyped as being ferocious and aggressive" (wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobermann#Aggression).

• Love 1